It's snowing up North

joanlawson
joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
edited 21. Dec 2009, 15:31 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi

I just heard from my daughter that it is snowing up in Yorkshire :!: :!: That's probably because I am supposed to be driving there tomorrow. Has anyone else got snow :?:

Do you like snowy weather :?: I do, but not driving in it :!: :!:

Joan
c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif

Comments

• rondetto
    rondetto Member Posts: 2,526
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    They're welcome to keep it there too.
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Hi, I like looking at it but not driving or walking in it, if I walked in snow I am sure I would fall over, also it can be dangerous for old people, the last time we had heavy snow in Macclesfield was about 3 years ago love Jaspercatxx
  • joanlawson
    Hi Jaspercat

Does Jasper like the snow? Tommy comes in and shakes his back legs behind him in a very comical way. He is a funny cat at the best of times. That's probably why he moved in with us :!: :!: :lol::lol:

Joan
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Hi Joan

No snow in my bit of North Yorkshire, though I may have slept through and it didn't stick. I'm a bit in land and not near the coast. Mind you it is perishing here at the moment so there may be some on the way.
    I used to love the snow, but since I went how shall I put this?
    bottom over chest' :oops: :lol: on the ice and snow last year I'm somewhat less keen now.
    Chris :wink:
  • joanlawson
    chris7 wrote:
    Hi Joan

No snow in my bit of North Yorkshire, though I may have slept through and it didn't stick. I'm a bit in land and not near the coast. Mind you it is perishing here at the moment so there may be some on the way.
    bottom over chest' :oops: :lol: on the ice and snow last year I'm somewhat less keen now.

Hi Chris

My daughter lives near Holmfirth, right on the edge of the moors. (Last of the Summer Wine country ) Her house is quite high up and isolated, so we call it Wuthering Heights, and if there is any snow around , they get it. I am originally from S. Yorkshire, but live in Derbyshire now. Falling in the snow is my biggest fear, especially if I fell on my arthritic knees :!:

Joan
  • kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    No snow in this part of West Yorkshire, hope it keeps well away. Not that I dont like the look of it, I'm like everyone else, I dont want to slip or fall and as for driving in it, nah.

Seen plenty of the white stuff though as my son lives in Toronto in Canada and one February when I was visiting, think it was 2007, they had 6ft high snow on the pavements (sidewalk :roll: ), but as they still have blue sky and sunshine doesnt seem too bad and the authorities soon get the highways clear so no days off work for anyone cos of the snow and ice over there.

Kath
  • joanlawson
    i love snow !!!!!!!!! but hate driving in it, when we had it bad at the bigining of the year i was out doing my care work when it came down so fast :shock: i was slippin and sliding, would have hit a 4 x4 if he hadnt been able to move sidewas for me, i rang work ,told them i was going home , scared the crap out of me !!

Hi Jan

If it is that bad, it is best to stay home, I think. It once took me nearly 2 hours to drive to school in the snow, risking my life in the process, and when I got there, only 5 children turned up. And they were the worst 5 behaved in the school, sent in any weather because their parents didn't want them at home :!: :roll:
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    God I love snow and unlike a lot of people I love driving in it,mind you I drive a Rav 4 4x4 so it's much more fun.
    When we have snow down these here parts and that's not often we all jump in it family and dogs and go up into the hills of the village where I was born, it's a little old place called Ipsden I know all the raods tracks and the woods like the back of my hand, and snuggled up in one of the old beach forrests is a cracking little old pub called the Black Horse, it's up in Ipsden heath they also run a small stables and my daughter rides and helps out there and the pub does great parties and they serve proper local beer straight from the keg, it's always got a big log fire burning in the bar this time of year, what bliss!.
  • joanlawson
    Hi Mell

That sounds a smashing place. I will try to find it when down at my sister's.
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    joanlawson wrote:
    Hi Jaspercat

Does Jasper like the snow? Tommy comes in and shakes his back legs behind him in a very comical way. He is a funny cat at the best of times. That's probably why he moved in with us :!: :!: :lol::lol:

Joan

Hi Joan, snow gets Jasper confused, he tries to catch snow flakes in his paws, we do pick him up and take him to the front door, he looks out, shivers and wants to come in love Jaspercatxx
  • joanlawson
    jaspercat wrote:
    joanlawson wrote:
    Hi Jaspercat

Joan

Hi Joan, snow gets Jasper confused, he tries to catch snow flakes in his paws, we do pick him up and take him to the front door, he looks out, shivers and wants to come in love Jaspercatxx

That is really sweet :!: :D Tommy is funny when it is windy weather. He goes like a wild cat :!:
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    joanlawson wrote:
    jaspercat wrote:
    joanlawson wrote:
    Hi Jaspercat

Joan

That is really sweet :!: :D Tommy is funny when it is windy weather. He goes like a wild cat :!:

Yep, Tillie goes all kittenish when the wind gets under her tail! But 5 minutes of dashing about like a kitty and she collapses now!

Annie
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Reporting in late

Ive been asleep nearly all day. No snow in London.

Trish xx
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Joan,

Amazingly we haven't had snow either, I think I can count on one hand how many times I've seen it this end. My lot get the witch in them in the wind and the snow hey did see last year, some for the very first time an they think it steals your feet so they became springs, except slipper boy...... he loved it, he ate it rolled in it and when ballistic. The chicken were the funniest mind x

Hey Kath,

That's real snow and is it as good as it looks in the photo's? It must be cold though but they say its a different cold cus it tends to be drier? Canada is on my one day list. Hope all ok with you? Cris x
  • trisher
    Hi Kath

Is that near that shopping centre when it snows it has a roof that closes, so people don't get all wet when they go shopping?

Have you ever been there?

Trish xx
  • trisher
    chris7 wrote:
    Hi Joan

Crissyy

Have some decorum please, the correct term is AAAsssOOOVVVVeeerrrheaddddd :shock:
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    joanlawson wrote:
    Hi Mell

That sounds a smashing place. I will try to find it when down at my sister's.

Ye look up the Black Horse at Ipsden heath, it's right out of the way though it hasn't got a web site I'll get the post code as it's a sat nav job but we love it as it's one of the last old style pubs here all the rest are bosh nosh places full of very very rich people who look down their noses at you, and the drinks are really expensive, it's a very rich area round here.
  • kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    trisher wrote:
    Hi Kath

Is that near that shopping centre when it snows it has a roof that closes, so people don't get all wet when they go shopping?

Trish xx

Hi Trish

No I havent seen the one you mention, will have to ask my son about that one. But they sure have some amazing shopping malls to entice you to spend over there.

But compared to boring old Halifax, every town probably has amazing shopping malls too. :roll:

Hope you are having a better day Trish.
    Kath xx
  • trisher
    Hi Kath

I think they are underground ones, then the roof is open in the summer and when the bad weather comes they close them.

I was watching a programe about them a while back and it showed them on that.

Trish xx
  • trisher
    Hi

My cats loved the snow, smokey, used to go out into the garden with our dog Suzie, they would chase each other around They love the snow more than anything.

Trish xx
  • joanlawson
    kathbee wrote:
    trisher wrote:
    Hi Kath

Trish xx

Hi Trish

No I havent seen the one you mention, will have to ask my son about that one. But they sure have some amazing shopping malls to entice you to spend over there.

But compared to boring old Halifax, every town probably has amazing shopping malls too. :roll:

Hope you are having a better day Trish.
    Kath xx

Hi Kath

I don't think Halifax is boring. There is a good theatre, the Eureka childrens' museum and the Piece Hall. Not bad, in my opinion :!:

Joan
  • kiefersangel
    kiefersangel Member Posts: 30
    Not been any snow, that I know of :oops: , here in South Yorkshire :)

Would love to see it but not go out in it though :)
    Would make a change from the sunny christmas we've had past few years :lol:
  • joanlawson

Hi

Whereabouts in South yorkshire are you :?: I grew up in Rotherham, so know S Yorkshire well.

There was quite a bit of snow around Holmfirth on Saturday, but it has gone now,

Joan
  • kiefersangel
    kiefersangel Member Posts: 30
    Howdy Joan,

I was born in Rotherham but I grew up and still live in Mexborough :)
  • trisher

Hello nice to meet you?

I have just heard the news Scotland minus 7 everywhere else could be minus 4-5

Right scramble, jammies on sockies on hat on gloves on umbrella on.

Trisher xxx