Christmas Preps...

jackie1955
jackie1955 Member Posts: 632
edited 1. Dec 2009, 15:43 in Community Chit-chat archive
So, how are we all doing with our Christmas preparations? a070.gif

I sat the other evening and wrote all my Christmas cards, and am going to wrap up presents tonight. The gift shopping has been easy this year, I decided beforehand what each person was going to get and basically stuck to it! Only had to visit a couple of shops, oh and used Boots online service too.

I like to give my grandchildren a stocking filled with little gifts when I see them on Christmas Day, just so I get to see their little faces light up (their main present gets delivered by Santa Claus on Christmas Eve of course :wink: ) but I buy these trinkets as and when I see them, i.e. selection box, book, cuddly toy etc

Food shopping will be done on the 'net and delivered :)

Sooo, I shall now enjoy people-watching when we go out, whilst sipping a hot coffee and munching on a warm mince pie with brandy butter mmm. I simply love the atmosphere - everyone dashing around, Christmas decorations twinkling, Carols playing, having a glass of sherry or advocaat (so christmassy!)......

Too early for my decs at home though, but we are getting in the mood a030.gif

Jackie x

Comments

• joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Jackie
    You are well underway
    It looks like we are going to my sick DiL's for christmas. We shall take each day as it comes and work round it. Will be a shame if she is going through a bad day though. I think y'day was the best shehas looked for ages. Perhaps all those prayers and thoughts from you all did the trick.
    I did Christmas stockings for all my 5 grandchildren last year and it turned out very expensive. What do you put in yours. I did enjoy, like you, watching them unpack them, but then it's back to their Nintendos etc. and that's that.
    With regards to food shopping I prefer to do my own. I see the Tesco staff going round and they do not really know how to pick fruit and veg very well. I get mine from Aldi. It's so reasonable and good quality.

We are putting our decorations up tomorrow now I think. Hubby's gone off towatch football,

joy
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Hi, my christmas cards are written and have their stamps on, all ready to go on the 1st december, we are not putting up our big tree this year, we are having a small fibre optic tree.

Most of my pressies are here already just 3 to get, all my shopping will be done on the net, so by the 24th I can sit down with my feet up and think of everyone rushing around.

Love Jaspercatxx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    delboy wrote:
    Preparation, that's what wives are for. *Runs away and hides*
    And well you might run away!!! Shame on you :oops:
    Serioulsy Jackie you need to come over here and help me now!!!
    WEll done those of you organised ones!
    I have daughter's bday yet and my bro's 40th to get through before Christmas
    Take care
    Toni xx
  • katekelly
    katekelly Member Posts: 975
    I love Christmas but hate the time spent trying to think of pressies for everyone. It was Sarah's 7th birthday yesterday and so spent 2 and1/2 hours today sorting out her bedroom to take all the birthday pressies she got (16 kids at her party!!! We went the easy but expensive way this year- local bowling alley and let them sort out the mess after!!). I felt very smug when I got everything away but then very deflated when I remembered I'll be doing it all again in 3 and 1/2 weeks!!!!!
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Joy

What happend, I thought DIL was going to your house for Christmas. Isn't she coming to you now?

Trisher xx
  • minky67
    minky67 Member Posts: 2,328
    Hi, so far we have the turkey, 1 of those 3 birds in 1 from a..i
    I written all my cards ready to be posted.
    im giving the kids money for xmas,well i say kids the stepson is 17,my eldest is 17 & my youngest is 14.so money is the best choice as they can go & get what they want then.
    The tree will go up in about 1 wk or so (when ive found the energy for that task )
    Ive just got the get the choccies & food shopping done.( might just do a late night shop for that as i cant do crowds )
    Then make my way down the motorway to see the girls & my parents.Then put me feet up til xmas day. Im doing dinner again
    debs
  • jackie1955
    delboy wrote:
    Preparation, that's what wives are for. *Runs away and hides*

hey delboy, you'd better hide..... else it ain't only gonna be the turkey that gets stuffed :shock:
    oooh..... now lets get back to the spirit of the season, goodwill and kindness to all (including wives :wink: )

rehab, your list made me laugh..... apart from obvious loved ones there are quite a few others who get a deserved Christmas Box from us too! Actually, quite a long list! Depending who, they get drink, choccies or hard cash lol

Joy, I do hope your DIL does get to feel better and enjoy the festive Season - and you too of course (but don't go wearing yourself out trying to be all and do all for everyone else). As for the grandkids stockings, like most of todays kids they have all the latest techno stuff.
    We give their parents money to go get what the kiddies need, be it a computer game, clothes or footwear; then the stockings I just fill with small more traditional things, i.e. selection box, books, crayons, a small toy, a bag of those chocolate money coins, funny socks etc

I watched Songs of Praise earlier, it certainly put me in a festive mood - just right for when I started the marathon gift-wrapping session a048.gif

Jackie x
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Jackie,

As ever its nice to 'see' you :D You have really put me to shame here :oops: I got the cards just I haven't eve done my card list :oops: I am however about to dress my hawthorn and well as Toni said could I borrow you to come organise me please? Mind there is a hint that I have a bit of an allergy to organisation :wink:

Hope you both have a really good lead up to and Christmas, its lovely time of year tome :D Cris x
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    rehab44 wrote:
    Oh dear! I have overspent this year, so far 2 mobile phones and 1 netbook not including the bits and bobs :shock: I think the bank manager will want to discuss my prospects, he is a bit old fashioned, inasmuch you only spend your own money and not everyone elses. At the end of the day (it gets dark I know), I only have 3 grand children a wonderful daughter and an almost SiL and of course Dementia my beloved and Fat Kev.. and a sister..with 2 kids..a SisiL with one kid.. numerous children from complete strangers :shock: the bin man, postman, paperboy (can you be a paper boy if you are over 30?) The nice guy who delivers the take-aways.. the surgery.. the garage :shock: next door, even though her cats craps on my lawn....oh dear I have overspent this year.....just remembered, I ain done the cards yet... there are my grandkids.. my daughter..etc etc

Rehab

You forgot us, how could you do that :shock:

Trish xx :roll:
  • carol101
    carol101 Member Posts: 584
    Well it's that time of year again and boy don't we know it by the amount of rain we're getting! I have 2 weeks off work now to do all the preparations for Christmas. I've bought a few of the small gifts, only 1 main present bought so far and that's for my step-son. Planning on having a 'spring' clean today before the Christmas decorations go up tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to it since i haven't really done any housework for a few weeks due to my health so hubby has been doing it all.

Wednesday or Thursday I'm planning on visiting 1 of my cousins who i haven't seen for about 5 years so that will be nice. We chat all the time on facebook but it isn't the same as actually seeing someone.

We also plan to go Christmas shopping. Probably visit Lakeside, Bluewater, Maidstone, Canterbury. Hoping to wrap the presents up as we get them as every year i leave it till the last few days then have to sit there for hours on end wrapping them up. 1, i get bored and 2, this year with my back problems i won't be able to sit there that long anyway.

This weekend my step-son is coming over to stay. We might take him to Bluewater since he has never been.

Carol X
  • jackie1955
    Good morning all!

Now, I'm going to apologise for this...... I really just cannot resist those cute Christmas Smilies so I'm afraid my postings may be littered with one or two leading up to the Big Day. I hope most of you like them although I'm sure theres going to be some who won't (bah humbug to you lol).

I'm a bit excited this morning - just seen the first snowflakes falling.... ......

Altogether now "I'm dreaming of a White Christmas....."
    a055.gif

Jackie x

p.s. Yes, I KNOW most of us don't want the snow - ideally I'd like a nice fluffy frosting to fall late on Xmas Eve, just enough to cover everywhere lightly, and then huge snowflakes to drift gently down throughtout Xmas Day - all to disappear miraculously on Boxing Day lol
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Its an unwritten rule that my daughter has her birthday (5th) first before we start on Christmas but it never leaves me enough time to sort things out.
    So this year I have ordered the laptop for one son and sent out the cheques to the two older daughters, so they can buy food and essentials with it(no lovely present s for them). i have ordered a few things off the internet.One daughter and son dont know what they want yet!
    This might be the first year I have been well enough to brave the shops!
    I, of course ,will get my usual few presents if I am lucky.
    Best wishes to you all
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • joyful164
    rehab44 wrote:
    Oh dear! I have overspent this year, so far 2 mobile phones and 1 netbook not including the bits and bobs :shock: I think the bank manager will want to discuss my prospects, he is a bit old fashioned, inasmuch you only spend your own money and not everyone elses. At the end of the day (it gets dark I know), I only have 3 grand children a wonderful daughter and an almost SiL and of course Dementia my beloved and Fat Kev.. and a sister..with 2 kids..a SisiL with one kid.. numerous children from complete strangers :shock: the bin man, postman, paperboy (can you be a paper boy if you are over 30?) The nice guy who delivers the take-aways.. the surgery.. the garage :shock: next door, even though her cats craps on my lawn....oh dear I have overspent this year.....just remembered, I ain done the cards yet... there are my grandkids.. my daughter..etc etc

and me darling

joy
  • joyful164
    trisher wrote:
    Joy

What happend, I thought DIL was going to your house for Christmas. Isn't she coming to you now?

Trisher xx

No, she isn't - her mother was there and put the brakes on that idea saying that it was much better for her to stay in her own home incase she felt she needed to get to bed.

So, from the moment DiL was getting into the 'come to me' mode, mum arrived and as soon as we asked her to come and spend Christmas and told here what we had planned, she changes it.

Trisher love, at the end of the day, I don't mind where we have it and I expect quite a few of us have gone through this argument about where we want to spend Christmas.
    So long as we are altogether thats the most important thing. And I expect you are really looking forward to it now.I'm so happy for you.
    joy
  • joyful164
    minky67 wrote:
    Hi, so far we have the turkey, 1 of those 3 birds in 1 from a..i
    I written all my cards ready to be posted.
    im giving the kids money for xmas,well i say kids the stepson is 17,my eldest is 17 & my youngest is 14.so money is the best choice as they can go & get what they want then.
    The tree will go up in about 1 wk or so (when ive found the energy for that task )
    Ive just got the get the choccies & food shopping done.( might just do a late night shop for that as i cant do crowds )
    Then make my way down the motorway to see the girls & my parents.Then put me feet up til xmas day. Im doing dinner again
    debs
    Hi. I had one of those 3 in 1 birds from A... last year and they do go along way, but would suggest you do a joint aswell, maybe roast ham, beef or pork. I found it tended to fall apart too quickly whilst cutting it and there is a lot of stuffing in it too. Very nice though

Joy
  • jackie1955
    mmm the tv advert for '3 in 1 birds' does look tasty! We usually have a turkey crown and a beef joint.

One of my sisters always makes a wonderful Xmas Cake, and this year she has made one for me too :) I've only ever attempted to make my own, spent a fortune on the ingredients and then the damn cake didn't cook in the middle and was rather well-done on the outside. Never again!

I do like to make my own mince pies though. And a sherry trifle. Blimey, my mouths watering now!

Jackie x
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Ah now Jackie, I just realised I have made my own cake, made it back in may! Been laced with brandy once a month ever since :wink::lol: Feel a bit better knowing I have done something toward it :lol::lol: Cris x
  • joyful164
    jackie1955 wrote:
    mmm the tv advert for '3 in 1 birds' does look tasty! We usually have a turkey crown and a beef joint.

One of my sisters always makes a wonderful Xmas Cake, and this year she has made one for me too :) I've only ever attempted to make my own, spent a fortune on the ingredients and then the damn cake didn't cook in the middle and was rather well-done on the outside. Never again!

I do like to make my own mince pies though. And a sherry trifle. Blimey, my mouths watering now!

Jackie x
    I have to say that the TV advert is a little misleading. Yes, the 3 -1 bird is very tasty but when it comes out of the oven, it doesn't quite look as big as that, so would suggest doing a joint too.

joy
  • joyful164
    Hi all. Well it's the first day of December. I forgot to say 'White Rabbits'. I got all the xmas cards put into piles, this lot to the bowls club, they go to that car club, these are for posting abroad and this lot go 2nd class. Thought I had finished all my cards. The other pile left at home are for my art friends. Get to the post office and there is Toby and Josy behind the counter, great friends of ours. Yes, you guessed, where was theirs? So there was Josy, sticking all the stamps on them for us. she always does that, trying to see inside each envelope to see what the picture was. I've told her that I hve left hers at home. You see, each year for the last 10 years I have designed my own xmas cards. Pictures of churches, snowy cottages, deer and robins.
    It takes a lot of work, but it's fun.

Joy