savings limit to claim benefits?

tkachev
tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
edited 2. Dec 2009, 08:38 in Community Chit-chat archive
What is the limit for savings and claiming council tax benefit? I think it is either £6000 or £8000? It is graded after a certain amount?Unfortunately I have received a back dated council tax bill which I think is over calculated.
I had to fill in a claim form recently, it was the first one for several years, and it was only when I saw the box that said Do you have any shares? that I remembered. I was given some shares but forgot to notify the council (it is paper money and doesnt have any worth to me until cashed in) so they are back-dating my bill to account for these shares as part of my overall savings,which has taken me over the savings limit I think. It depends on what the limit is.
I dont object to paying although I will have to cash in the shares to pay the bill ironically! I just want to make sure I pay what I owe rather than an estimated amount based on the councils calculations.
Are there any good websites to look at about this subject?
Best wishes
Elizabeth
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein

Comments

• livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    The rules changed during November 09 so no one really has much of a clue at the moment. The only people who can really decide are your local council.

If you are unsure, then contact your council and request an interview with someone to sit down and explain what is the basis for their calculations. They are paid to advise you as well as tax you. Whether they like it or not you are entitled to clarification of the rules as you are unsure.
    e015.gif

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Elizabeth,

Joseph has given you the best advise but I wonder if you wanted a quick answer would either your local CAB or the council offices tell you the limit over the phone? In the current financial climate I hope that the price of things going up so high has meant they are not thinking of lowering it! Good luck and I really hope you can find out soon. How you doing by the way? Cris x
  • tkachev
    Thanks all,
    I feel like a criminal but it was a genuine mistake. I would hate this to go further! I want to protect myself against any accusations too.I just never think of the shares as savings cos they are worth nothing until cashed. However I realise ignorance is not a defence.
    I have contacted the above helpline supplied by Rehab as my first point of contact.
    Skezier, I am here-and-there.Sometimes have pains and dont sleep well but managing to look after the children okay and keep the house tidy which is a bonus!
    Best wishes
    Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • tkachev
    I left a message by E-mail with the above.I gave my e-mail address and phone number.I have just had a voice text message which I didnt understand asking me to call back a number which I did and it was a civil law firm.Didnt stay to talk but are they related to the above website, which I know many people on the forum have contacted?
    Anybody know?
    Best wishes
    Elizabeth

Ps. savings limit is £6000 but graded between £6000 and £16000 at the rate of £1 per every £250 over the £6000.

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein