Naproxin

davecar
davecar Member Posts: 11
edited 30. Nov 2009, 10:09 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi,

I have been diagnosed with arthritus in the fingers but I am awaiting the results of an MRI scan before I know what type ie osteo or rhumatoid.

I have been presribed naproxin to reduce the swelling and ease the pain but after over a week it is showing little signs of being effective. The NHS website says that it takes two weeks in some cases to be effective. The pain is really bad and I am quite anxious about this.

Has anyone any expereince of this drug and how long it takes to become effective?

Many thanks,

Dave

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Dave,

Not sure how long the Naproxen takes cus I am not on them but the ones I take have got more effective the longer I have been on them till they reached their max level. I can't remember how long it took cus I been on them so long but give it the 14 days if you can and then go and see your doctor if they are still not doing the job. It may be you need and anti inflammatory analgesic and just a painkiller as well. I really hope you soon get the relief. Take care Cris
  • page35
    page35 Member Posts: 1,081
    Hi Dave
    i took Naproxin before being diagnosed and i didnt think it was doing anything until i stopped taking it and felt worse.
    i was told i had to take it every day as it builds up in your body.
    but saying that some drugs just dont work that well for some.
    i hope you get your diagnosis soon and then they can give you better drugs to suit which ever arthur you have.
    i suffer with painful hands amongst other things so do sympathise
    best wishes.
    page
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Dave I agree with what folks above have said, these things can take a bit of time to start working.
    If you're not taking any other kind of painkillers you could also take simple analgesia like paracetamol or paracetamol and codine if there are no contra indications. They can help along with the Naproxin which is an anti-inflammatory.
    A pharmacist should be able to tell you if any of the meds. you are on, contraindicate what I'm suggesting. I do hope you get some relief soon. Do please let us know how you get on.
    rita
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,899
    Hi Dave.
    i was on naproxen for over 6 months i have oa. as soon as i took the first dose it worked straight away. it took all the pain away
    then after a year it did not seem to work any more.
    good luck i hope you find out soon what you have. joan xx
    take care
    joan xx