OA in both knees how do you manage?

Options
sharmaine
sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
edited 30. Nov 2009, 16:37 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi

I'm really finding it hard to walk more so when I'm out. I'm currently using elbow crutches, prior to that I was using a walking stick. I think I need a wheelchair, however, my OH says I should speak to my GP first. I'm on the waiting list for my first TKR (hopefully in January) the other one will be done later. The left knee was always the worst affected but the right one is being more troublesome and I'm finding both awkward to walk on.

If you've got in both knees, please tell me how you get about as I'm finding it really difficult.

Sharmaine

Comments

• bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    oh i feel for you Sharmaine like you i amble about with crutches and am now getting to the stage of thinking whats next , i don't want a wheelchair as that wont do my muscles any good for when i do go for replacements i see my consultant in early Jan when i hope to be put on the list , i try to plan the shortest route if i have to walk any distance , and stop and rest and take the pressure of each knee in turn xx if i cant sleep at night i get my self in the shower and alternate the shower head on hot and cold on to my knees ,, i hope you can find some comfort xx
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • wendylou
    wendylou Member Posts: 88
    Options
    sharmaine wrote:
    Hi

I'm really finding it hard to walk more so when I'm out. I'm currently using elbow crutches, prior to that I was using a walking stick. I think I need a wheelchair, however, my OH says I should speak to my GP first. I'm on the waiting list for my first TKR (hopefully in January) the other one will be done later. The left knee was always the worst affected but the right one is being more troublesome and I'm finding both awkward to walk on.

If you've got in both knees, please tell me how you get about as I'm finding it really difficult.

Sharmaine
    Hi Sharmaine I have just been diagnosed with O/A of the knees my left one is worse at the moment as it swells alot I also have it in my hips which is very painfull so i have got double wammy, so i know how you feel i have the elbow crutches if i am not going to walk far but if i am going to go around the shops i go in my wheelchair, its a nuicence but what can you do when your in such bad pain, i hope this helps and to know your not on your own.Wendylou :)
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    Hello Sharmaine.

I am sorry you are struggling. You certainly have a dilemma. I would think that you maybe should have a wheelchair for the long excursions say50% of the time and then use your crutches the other 50%. You do need to keep your muscles toned so that when you have the op, you are strong enough to get moving afterwards.
    At the same time you are not putting extra pressure on the knees.
    As you say, you do have a dreadful dilemma. What does your consultant suggest. I bet you can't wait long enough.
    My friend Belinda has just had her knee done and she has done brilliantly. She was showing the surgery off to everyone and was explaining the procedure. Amazing what they can do now and how quick it all is too.
    good luck Sharmaine. I'll be looking hard for your posts to see how you're doing

joy
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Options
    Hi everyone

Joy I think I'm inclined to agree with you. I need to keep muscles supple but walking say in the town centre with the support of my crutches is proving more and more difficult. I think a wheelchair may be the answer - I've been putting it off but don't see I have much choice. I will have to do 50% on each as you suggest. I nipped into Lidl just to get a few bits - the shop isn't huge and even that was a struggle. I was exhausted by the time I got home and felt sorry for myself when I got in - had a bit of a weep. I avoid the bigger shops unless OH is with me.

I'm looking forward to having the first TKR and then I can start planning for the second one. Hopefully it will happen in January if not I'm going to do the surgery myself!!!!

Sharmaine

joyful164 wrote:
    Hello Sharmaine.

I am sorry you are struggling. You certainly have a dilemma. I would think that you maybe should have a wheelchair for the long excursions say50% of the time and then use your crutches the other 50%. You do need to keep your muscles toned so that when you have the op, you are strong enough to get moving afterwards.
    At the same time you are not putting extra pressure on the knees.
    As you say, you do have a dreadful dilemma. What does your consultant suggest. I bet you can't wait long enough.
    My friend Belinda has just had her knee done and she has done brilliantly. She was showing the surgery off to everyone and was explaining the procedure. Amazing what they can do now and how quick it all is too.
    good luck Sharmaine. I'll be looking hard for your posts to see how you're doing

joy