helpline charges

salamander
salamander Member Posts: 1,906
I've just checked with Virgin media, my telephone supplier and they charge 10p a minute to phone the helpline. Only BT customers can use it for free. I wanted to phone for some help but can't afford to pay that. I'm disappointed that it is so prohibitive.

Comments

• salamander
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    they've just told me it isn't! What do you mean by 150? Am I missing something? Any enlightenment would help!
    S
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Sally,

I'm with O2 and they said it was 15p a min but when I actually phoned it was free so maybe its a number they have made an exception for? I asked about how much the 0808's were but this one was free when I rang it. I don't know if that will help you though cus the only way to find out for me was to ring it. Take care Cris
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Hi Sally, that is dreadful as I thought it was free, your other option is to e-mail the helpline, I have done that and they were very efficent, or, of course, ask on here love Jaspercatxx
  • salamander
    No worries about miscommunication delboy! Thanks for all the tips everyone, I will ring and see what they say (but don't want to find myself with a large phone bill) or email. I was hoping someone from AC might be able to answer my question.....?
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    edited 2. Dec 2009, 06:30
    Dear Sally,

I've already rung Virgin Media's callcentre and been told that 0808 numbers are chargable from their phones. (I've got one at home and am angry too!)
    I explained that we would need to take this further with them and asked to talk to someone senior. All they would do is give me an address to write to
    Virgin Media
    Po box 333
    Matirix Court
    Swansea SA7 9ZJ
    So I'll do that and copy the correspondence to the Telephone Helplines Association.
    You might like to do the same as one Virgin's customers.

all the best
    Guy
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    I'm with Virgin media too and am honestly not surprised but I am disgusted.
  • salamander
    Thanks for taking it up Guy. I will write too. I'm concerned for others using this forum and telephone helpline that they wouldn't realise til they were billed as it says 'call our FREE ....helpline'. Maybe AC could put a clarifying note under the helpline number, so people realise they need to check with their phone company first. As far as I am aware, the 0808 are only free with BT but I may be wrong.
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    Hi Sally,

I appreciate the sense of what you are saying. The manager who'd be authorised to change the wording and makes the senior decisions is away for a couple of weeks, and she'll be able to come back to about all this. If you want to talk to the Helpline you can ring our other number 0207 3806571 if you get free daytime calls, quickly give us a landline number and we can ring you back. Obviously do not leave a number on the forum!

all the best
    Guy
  • salamander
    thanks guy, I will do that.
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Hi, I am with Virgin too, nothing really suprises me any more with them, I think that I will write as well love Jaspercatxx
  • salamander
    jaspercat wrote:
    Hi, I am with Virgin too, nothing really suprises me any more with them, I think that I will write as well love Jaspercatxx

Go for it Jaspercat! (love your name!) I've written to them but don't really expect an answer.
    x