Arthritis in the jaw

Options
poppsical23
poppsical23 Member Posts: 4
Hi everyone. I am new to this site aged 58 and would like to hear from anyone who may be suffering from arthritis in the jaw.

My consultant thinks I have arthritis although the xray did not show it. Apart from symptoms how can you be sure you have it? I am confused about it all and need guidance please. :?

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,490
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi everyone. I am new to this site aged 58 and would like to hear from anyone who may be suffering from arthritis in the jaw.

My consultant thinks I have arthritis although the xray did not show it. Apart from symptoms how can you be sure you have it? I am confused about it all and need guidance please. :?

Dear poppsical23

Thanks for your posting today. This is to let you know that the helpline team will respond to your posting when we are back in the office tomorrow.

Best Wishes
    Dawn
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,490
    Options
    Arthritis in the jaw or to be more exact, in the Temporo-mandibular joint - the bit where your jaw bone meets the side of your face and you can feel moving when you open your mouth - is not common but is known in osteoarthritis. It often doesn't show on an xray and doctors diagnose it on examination and description of symptoms.
    The pain often responds well to a heat pad.
    You might get more responses from others with this condition if you put a posting on the Living with Arthritis site.
    Best wishes
    Val
  • robertls
    robertls Member Posts: 2,304
    Options
    Hiya......................

I have RA....and amongst other joints, I'm told its in my jaws............shown in x-ray.....

As suggested heat pads seem to help.......

The concoction of drugs also helps.....

When its really bad, I cannot eat or talk......It actually feels like ear ache........

Rob x
    Roba045.gif