New Girl - BobbiD

bobbid
bobbid Member Posts: 85
edited 2. Jan 2010, 02:52 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hello everyone. I am a new girl. I have had a very painful and depressing year but I am hoping to make a new start next year. I used to be a top lady triathlete but I have ruined all my leg joints through road running and now cannot even swim or cycle, let alone walk without aids. At 35 I am too young to have replacement joints but I am in severe pain constantly. I used to have many friends (boys!) in the athletics world but over the last year they have all drifted away, not wanting to waste time on someone who can no longer keep up with them.
Anyway that is all in the past and I am pleased to have discovered this website and I am determined to make a fresh start in 2010.
Happy New Year everyone!
I have called myself BobbiD because my nickname used to be Bobby Dazzler (my real name is Roberta, which I hate!).

Comments

• angel1
    angel1 Bots Posts: 1,464
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Well Bobbi, I think you sound a right Bobby Dazzler, and all I can say about the ones who got away, "It`s their loss".

A big welcome, and a very Happy New Year to you........Ange.
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Hello, and welcome to the forum :!: :!:

You have chosen a very good time to join, and I'm sure that you will find many new friends here.

We need a Bobby Dazzler on here, but don't let a certain Rehab hear that :!: :!: :shock: :shock:

You are just in time to join the cruise. I will send the helicopter for you, and please join us in our New Year celebrations. We are going to watch the fireworks over the bay in Madeira tonight, so it will be fun.

Yes, we are quite bonkers, but you will find lots of laughs, as well as support and friendship here.

So stick around, Bobby Dazzler :!: :!:

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    hELLO AND WELCOME
    I am alot older then , but I feel some of what you are going through, I was a fitness instructor, till I started with oa, now I can't walk very far.
    I am now hitting back,in 2010 I am going back to the gym, not sure how much I can do,I will just use my arms if that is what it takes.
    I wish you all the best, and hope 2010 is a better year for you.
    Love Barbaraxx
    Love
    Barbara
  • jordan7j
    jordan7j Bots Posts: 346
    Hi Bobbi, welcome!! Everyone here is very supportive, so ask away! As for your "friends" its their loss, take care Jay x
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Welcome to Bobbi the second - it was my mother's name! How lovely to know it lives on!

In this place you can laugh, cry, moan and rant - and there will always be someone along to do the same with you.

Even if we are all barking!

Annie
    XX
  • bobbid
    joanlawson wrote:
    Hello, and welcome to the forum :!: :!:

You have chosen a very good time to join, and I'm sure that you will find many new friends here.

We need a Bobby Dazzler on here, but don't let a certain Rehab hear that :!: :!: :shock: :shock:

You are just in time to join the cruise. I will send the helicopter for you, and please join us in our New Year celebrations. We are going to watch the fireworks over the bay in Madeira tonight, so it will be fun.

Yes, we are quite bonkers, but you will find lots of laughs, as well as support and friendship here.

So stick around, Bobby Dazzler :!: :!:

Joan

Thank you very much. I haven't packed anything, so I will just come as I am - jeans and sports shirt.
    I am looking forward to meeting everyone at the party. I hope the captain will not mind that I am improperly dressed!
  • bobbid
    rehab44 wrote:
    bobbid wrote:
    Hello everyone. I am a new girl. I have had a very painful and depressing year but I am hoping to make a new start next year. I used to be a top lady triathlete but I have ruined all my leg joints through road running and now cannot even swim or cycle, let alone walk without aids. At 35 I am too young to have replacement joints but I am in severe pain constantly. I used to have many friends (boys!) in the athletics world but over the last year they have all drifted away, not wanting to waste time on someone who can no longer keep up with them.
    Anyway that is all in the past and I am pleased to have discovered this website and I am determined to make a fresh start in 2010.
    Happy New Year everyone!
    I have called myself BobbiD because my nickname used to be Bobby Dazzler (my real name is Roberta, which I hate!).
    I rather like Roberta, sounds very classy and we could do with some class on here Bobbi :D Welcome, welcome

Thank you Rehab. I am afraid I haven't had time to pack any smart clothes. I am just wearing jeans and a sports shirt. Otherwise I just have a leotard and a swimsuit.
  • mike77
    mike77 Member Posts: 879
    Hi welcome to this wonderful board the people here are just out of this world , the advice they give is spot on , by the way z010.gifz010.gifz010.gif

Mike R & Hazel & Mike JR
    Mike R & Hazel & MikeJR
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    HI Bobbi & welcome to the forum ... although it is sad that you need it.

there are great folks on here, so ask away and there is usually an answer from someone who has been there before and has a few tips.

hope to bump into you again soon
    wonky
  • joanlawson
    I rather like Roberta, sounds very classy and we could do with some class on here Bobbi Very Happy Welcome, welcome
    Quote Rehab

So don't you think we're posh enough then :?: :?:

What a cheek :!: :!: :!:
  • joanlawson
    Is that an apology :?:

You need to grovel a bit more than that :!: :!:
  • bobbid
    Thank you everyone for making me so welcome. I am looking forward to having fun with you in the year ahead.
    I hope you all have a wonderful time in 2010.
    BobbiD
  • bobbid
    I am sorry if I seem posh. My father was a major in the Grenadier Guards, so I was sent away to public school. It was very competitive there and we spent half our time doing outdoor sports. That is where I got started with athletics. But it doesn't matter what your background is, it still doesn't protect you from the nasty A.
  • annie_mial
    i fink we is very posh 8) :lol: i use a fork and everyfing !

So do I - I've stabbed several people lately, much more genteel than poking their eyes out!

Annie
  • annie_mial
    Mine just boggles all the time I am in this forum........it's bloody good mental exercise, can you see the muscles in my brain?

Annie
  • angel1
    angel1 Bots Posts: 1,464
    annie_mial wrote:
    Mine just boggles all the time I am in this forum........it's bloody good mental exercise, can you see the muscles in my brain?

Annie

No, your wimples hiding it!
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    annie_mial wrote:
    i fink we is very posh 8) :lol: i use a fork and everyfing !

So do I - I've stabbed several people lately, much more genteel than poking their eyes out!

Annie

oh mygod im wetting myself here annie !! mop-n-bucket.gif

Sorry Jan

You know I always slurp me coffee, has it gorn on the floor again

Trish xx
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Hi BobbiD

I've bumped into you on the cruise but don't think I have been in here to say a big welcome from me too. Really sorry you have had to give up your athletics and lost some friends along the way. It must have been such a very hard time for you. Do ask any questions you have on the Living with Arthritis forum, people will help if they can and send a hug if they can't. Sometimes that is all we can do.

Hope you are getting some help with the pain and have a decent GP to support you and get the help you need for the future. We can be a bit of a crazy lot sometimes but we are all just trying to get by the best way we can and having a laugh helps.
    All the best to you for this New Year, hope to bump into you again soon.
    Take care
    Chris
  • bobbid
    chris7 wrote:
    Hi BobbiD

I've bumped into you on the cruise but don't think I have been in here to say a big welcome from me too. Really sorry you have had to give up your athletics and lost some friends along the way. It must have been such a very hard time for you. Do ask any questions you have on the Living with Arthritis forum, people will help if they can and send a hug if they can't. Sometimes that is all we can do.

Hope you are getting some help with the pain and have a decent GP to support you and get the help you need for the future. We can be a bit of a crazy lot sometimes but we are all just trying to get by the best way we can and having a laugh helps.
    All the best to you for this New Year, hope to bump into you again soon.

Chris
    That is very kind of you. Your support is much appreciated.
    BobbiD
    Take care
    Chris
  • suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    Welcome to the forum chick from joanne
    Joanne
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    HI Bobbi
    Really good to meet you!
    This is the best place to be - so friendly and supportive.
    You will soon feel at home.
    :D:D
    Love Toni xx