Hi and ... what do you think?

maxeen
maxeen Member Posts: 8
edited 3. Jan 2010, 07:09 in Say Hello Archive
Hi :)

I hope you don't mind me posting here...I feel a bit of a fraud, because I haven't been to the doctor...yet.

I've had a bad back for years (I'm 47) and my knees have become so painful and creaky that I've just bought an automatic car! I've never complained to the Dr about my knees...just thought it was because I was getting old.

Anyway...my thumbs started to hurt - a lot! I thought it was just RSI from using the computer but suddenly nearly every joint is hurting. My elbows keep me awake at night and only stop hurting when my arms are out straight. My ankles, elbows, thumbs and some fingers all 'click' and hurt too. Bit like toothache but in the joints.

The pain and clicky-ness has got suddenly very much worse in the space of about 3 weeks. Can this be OA? Can it suddenly get really bad in so many joints so quickly??

I don't feel ill or feverish or anything and I haven't been to the doctor yet. I hate going to the doctor!

Any advice? Does it sound feasible that it could be arthritis? :(

Sorry if this question is in the wrong area, hope you can forgive me.

x

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Maxeen

Welcome to the forum. I am sorry to read your story. I really think you should see your gp and have a good chat with him. I don't like going to the gp either but best to find out what is causing all these symptoms. There are so many different kinds or arthritis so it may not be OA but another type. You would be able to obtain medication to ease the pain too.

If you also posted this message on the Living with Arthritis forum you may well receive more replies.

I do hope that you will join in with us. We are a very supportive group and offer as much help as we are able.

Look after yourself,

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Hi Maxine

A big Welcome from me too.

I agree with Lynn and Elna a trip to the doctor won't do no harm, it might be very helpful to you.

Your doctor can give you painkillers to help. Please tell us you will go.

Well, we will hope to see you posting soon, plus tell us what the doctor has said.

Trish xx
  • maxeen
    I got an appointment at the doctor today! Not bad for New Year's Eve eh?!

I've had a blood test, the doctor muttered about auto-immune disease or something and the test covers Rheumatoid Arthritis, so I have to wait a week for the results then I'll know a bit more.

Thanks for your help....I'll keep you posted. xx ::kisses::
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi Maxeen,

Pleased that you did see the gp - you have made a start to get a diagnosis and that is a positive move. Do let us know how you go on. We are all here to help and support each other.

Happy new year to you,

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • maxeen
    Thanks Jan. xx :)
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Hi Maxeen,
    Best go to the docs.I took a year to go as it never occurred to me it would be arthritis.Dont remember any other symptoms except swollen knees and my big toe-nails went blue and fell off!

Welcome anyway
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • jofallowfield
    jofallowfield Member Posts: 41
    Hi,

I felt silly going to the doc with pain in elbows and feet but after lot of test got told I had RA, was such a relief to know I wasnt just a wimp even asked the doc if the pain was in my mind because I look normal ( I hope) always thought you has to have swollen deformed joint to have arthritis. Good luck xx :)
  • maxeen
    Bit alarmed to hear of big toenails falling off Elizabeth! Especially cos I've got a lot of pain in my thumbnail at the bottom...both thumbnails have hurt for ages, but I've not taken any notice of it.

Hope they don't fall off! How embarrassing! Eeeek!