Re sickness

maria09
maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
I know how u all feel ive got osteo arthritis almost every where although my hips are fine lol.
My work have just rushed through a new sickness policy if we go over 3.9% we are on sickness monitoring any further sickness & its a written warning on our files.
After been off sick on Mon my boss says she thinks i will have a written warning (Ive a cronic condition for god sake!) cant help my sickness record! Like to see the people in Hr doing my job!!
Has any1 any ideas where i stand leagally?
I will contact my union to see what they say
At min im angry & upset all in one go!! Doesnt bode well with a good nights sleep.
thanx for listening :(

Comments

• maria09
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    delboy wrote:
    They can't apply the 3.9% to someone with a permanent disability, your absences need to be managed and discussed. Definitely go to your union for advice and always have a representative at meeting with HR or manager.

From my own experience and what others have said on here it will be a battle but one well worth winning. Whatever happens try not to get bothered about it at is it will only lead to more time off leading to a vicious circle of absences and stress that will just keep making you feel worse.

Good Luck

Del
    Thank You
    It just gets me down
    Ur made to feel like a skiver!!
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    Hear this all the time, sick to death of uncaring employers and seems to be getting worst, thank goodness for laws,emplyment laws and unions cos loads would be sacked, the rest would work without holidays.
    Yes, see your union! good luck. - keep notes, get sick notes as much as possible.
    i will send you a pm re a funy website that may cheer you up.
  • maria09
    oneday wrote:
    Hear this all the time, sick to death of uncaring employers and seems to be getting worst, thank goodness for laws,emplyment laws and unions cos loads would be sacked, the rest would work without holidays.
    Yes, see your union! good luck. - keep notes, get sick notes as much as possible.
    i will send you a pm re a funy website that may cheer you up.
    Thank you, Went for a walk in the snow to clear my mind had visions of visiting A&E with broken bones now that wud cap em lol :lol:
  • markc1
    markc1 Member Posts: 253
    maria09 wrote:
    I know how u all feel ive got osteo arthritis almost every where although my hips are fine lol.
    My work have just rushed through a new sickness policy if we go over 3.9% we are on sickness monitoring any further sickness & its a written warning on our files.
    After been off sick on Mon my boss says she thinks i will have a written warning (Ive a cronic condition for god sake!) cant help my sickness record! Like to see the people in Hr doing my job!!
    At min im angry & upset all in one go!! Doesnt bode well with a good nights sleep.

They can't do this...fight them all the way :wink:
  • maria09
    markc1 wrote:
    maria09 wrote:

They can't do this...fight them all the way :wink:
    Dont worry i intend to im ringing unison today! :x
  • maria09
    delboy wrote:
    Unilateral
    Nincompoops
    In
    Sync
    On
    Nothing

Good luck!
    Thanx!!!
    Whos best to fight ur case apart from urself?
  • markc1
    maria09 wrote:
    delboy wrote:
    Unilateral
    Nincompoops
    In
    Sync
    On
    Nothing

Good luck!
    Thanx!!!
    Whos best to fight ur case apart from urself?

Well said!!! :wink:
  • maria09
    delboy wrote:
    I would make an appointment to see someone at CAB or the Job Centre, much more help from those two.
    Thax CAB sounds good
    will keep u informed of wots happening
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    get advice from all avenues but if you are threatened because of your health i think union the best. if not happy with your rep try and get another one or a branch rep or a full time officer etc.
  • maria09
    Thank u for all ur support
    Meeting union rep on Tues then HR Thurs but still waiting for a letter to confrin date & time!
    Typical its on my day off!
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Hi Maria!

Just read your post. It's really very important you get proper advice and that you know what your rights are so that you don't get railroaded by your employer.

My advice, for what it's worth, is to read up on DDA before your meeting. Get the union involved by all means but don't assume they will know in fine detail about disability legislation so speak to the rep BEFORE the meeting. Ask him/ her what knowledge/ experience they have of disability; ask that they raise the fact that you have rights under DDA and that there is a process to be gone through before your employer considers taking or imposing any decisions about your employment. eg. OH should have carried out an assessment to identify 'reasonable adjustments' and it would be advisable for you to speak to a Disability Employment Adviser at Jobcentre Plus for an Access to Work Assessment.

The Disability Discrimination Act (DDA) is a law that provides disabled people with rights and it also places duties on employers.
    You have protection under DDA if you can demonstrate that you are disabled according to it's definition. Under the terms of DDA you are considered to have a disability if you have a physical or mental impairment that has a substantial and long term adverse effect on your ability to carry out normal day to day activities.

The DDA states that you should not be discriminated against in any way because of your disability. eg. if you need to take leave because of your condition it is good practice on the part of an employer to discount this in any calculation on performance related pay or in counting total sickness absence when starting disciplinary proceedings relating to sickness absence.

The http://www.equalityhumanrights.com%20website%20has%20a%20lot%20of%20very%20useful%20information%20about%20your%20rights%20and%20employers%20duties.%20Alsowww.rheumatoid.org.uk has very good self help guidance on employment issues you can read online or send for (I know you have OA but the same advice applies).

Sorry to have been so long winded but I know from my own experience how bamboozling trying to understand DDA etc is and how disempowering it can be meeting with HR and employers!

At the very least tell them at your meeting that you are researching what your rights are under DDA and not want any decisions taken before you have proper advice. Do not assume either that your employer knows their duties under DDA...ask them if they do!

Good luck! Iris x
  • maria09
    Thanks Iris
    Your advice & information is very helpful
    i just think its mad that its come to this Ive worked for them for 27yrs Ive never skived in my life & im made to feel my condition is nothing!! Let them have it for a week or so & see if they could cope with the job i do! Bloody carpet world in their nice warm little offices they should come down & see how the workers manage!!
    Rant over!
    Every1 is great on here dont think id have coped without you all so a big THANK YOU :)
    x
  • maria09
    Hi
    Had sickness interview with my manager it went well & she has put me at ease re HR meeting but still taking union rep for support
    Not feeling as stressed abt it now so fingers crossed for Thurs x
  • janie68
    janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
    Thats great news, I'm glad that you are less stressed as we know that stress is not good for arthur. Lets hope that they continue to be supportive for you.

Janie x
  • markc1
    maria09 wrote:
    Thanks Iris
    Your advice & information is very helpful
    i just think its mad that its come to this Ive worked for them for 27yrs Ive never skived in my life & im made to feel my condition is nothing!! Let them have it for a week or so & see if they could cope with the job i do! Bloody carpet world in their nice warm little offices they should come down & see how the workers manage!!
    Rant over!
    Every1 is great on here dont think id have coped without you all so a big THANK YOU :)
    x

Thats the spirit,girl....you tell 'em a020.gif
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Hi Maria!
    good to hear your meeting with your manager went so well...and glad you are getting the union involved for the meeting with HR. ':D'

Will be following your thread and sending you lots of positive vibes for Thursday! ':wink:'

Iris