Advice for man with RA wanting to start a family

porrig
porrig Member Posts: 25
edited 14. Jan 2010, 08:13 in Young people's community
Hi everyone, this is my first post.

I was diagnosed with RA about five months ago, and have been on MTX for about 4 months, plus naproxen, and about 6 weeks ago I was started on plaquenil. So far the only thing that made a noticeable difference is the naproxen which has helped my knees so I can walk without limping, but I've been told it takes a while for the other drugs to kick in (I've also had steroid shots that don't seem to have made any difference).

My wife and I want to start a family, but I can't find any info online about the effects of plaquenil on sperm count or taking it while trying to conceive. I know I'll have to stop MTX. I'm concerned about the long term impact of stopping the treatment until we conceive, especially if it takes a while.

At the moment my RA isn't affecting my ability to work, and I can't afford to let it.

Does anyone have any advice about treatments you can take whilst trying to get pregnant? Or any stories about how stopping drugs has affected you?

My main pain areas are wrists, knees and ankles. My fingers lock every now and then too. My shoulders are painful when I lay down, but I haven't noticed any discomfort during the day.

Comments

• tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi there and welcome,
    I would post this on the living with arthritis forum.You should get a good response there.
    Best wishes
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Another suggestion is to call , email or send a message to the helpline here. Telephone number top left hand corner. :)

Wishing you both all the very best,

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • porrig
    porrig Member Posts: 25
    tkachev wrote:
    Hi there and welcome,
    I would post this on the living with arthritis forum.You should get a good response there.
    Best wishes
    Elizabeth

Thanks for the advice, I've moved this topic to the Living With forum.