New Person

chile168
chile168 Member Posts: 384
edited 30. Jan 2010, 19:33 in Say Hello Archive
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and unsure how it works but sure I will get the hang of it.

Im Eve and nearly 45 with RA, etc. Unsure yet what to say, except that I am having great difficulties in receiving treatment as Im not too happy with what they are prescribing because of the risks. Would like to hear from those of you on treatment and those who are not as to how you are coping. I know it will come to the crunch when I will have to make a decision but at present very fearful.

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,402
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi
    FOUND YOU!!!
    I am 45 too :)
    Am on hydroxy and arcoxia (NSAIDS give me the two-bob-biots) and amitryptyline 25mg at night. I have been totally ok on them and so far (fingers crossed - they are working pretty well.
    Listen I cried all day every day when this first happened to me. Elna (on here) listened to me and supported me through it all, as did loads of others.
    My best advisce is to keep talking - get inofrmed - work it through and once you get meds which help you will feel a lot more in control of your life and a lot less fearful.
    There is life afetr arthritis - not what you thought it would be - but it really IS ok :D
    Love
    Toni x
  • chile168
    Frogmonton, I have had allergic reaction to Hydroxychloroquine, Prednisolone, Calci Chew, Depo so on. They wanted to prescribe Methotrexate but I refused it. Now they want me to try Leflunomide and having looked at the risks on that, not sure either was meant to go to the hospital today to collect them. Ooops.

Im glad the medicines are working for you. I will keep trying other things. Funny how I just pop painkillers without a care yet fearful of the big boy drugs. Im beginning to think my Rheumatologist is just a Narco trafficker lol
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Hi

A big welcome from me. We will all support you and help you through this worrying time.

It does frighten you when you read all the side affects. I think that nearly all of us arefeel concerned. Many of the people do not get them though.

All drug companies have to by law, tell you what side affects you can get. It does not always mean you will get them, but they have to tell you.

Are you having your blood taken regulary? This is one way the doctors can moniter you.

Why don't you have a word with the Helpline team. They are very good, also so nice to talk too.

I cannot take mxt, nor a lot of the others too, so you are not alone anymore.

Why don't you have a word with the helpline on here. They are very good also very helpful too.

Other members will be along soon to say Hi to you.

I hope to see you posting soon. Why don't you go to the CChat Forum as well, we relax there and have fun.

Trisher xx
  • wibberley
    wibberley Member Posts: 421
    Hi Eve,

I'm 43 and have JIA which is pretty similar to RA. I'm currently taking celebrex, omeprazole and sulpha. I hope to drop the celebrex once sulpha (fingers crossed) helps.

Rheumy's first choice for me was mtx, but I was a bit fearful. Am not so fearful of it now as there have been many success stories on the forum where quality of life has greatly improved for people while on it, so will not rule it out if sulpha doesn't work.

I just wish they'd hurry up and discover a wonder drug that has no side effects, or better still......a CURE!!!

Lois x
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    trisher wrote:
    Hi

A big welcome from me. We will all support you and help you through this worrying time.

It does frighten you when you read all the side affects. I think that nearly all of us do feel concerned. Many of the people do not get them though.

All drug companies have to by law, tell you what side affects you can get. It does not always mean you will get them, but they have to tell you.

The doctors take regular blood tests, so they can pick affects quickly, once you start treatment.

Why don't you have a word with the Helpline team. They are very good, also so easy and nice to talk too.

I cannot take mxt, nor a lot of the others too, so you are not alone anymore.

Other members will be along soon to say Hi to you.

I hope to see you posting soon. Why don't you go to the CChat Forum as well, we relax there and have fun.

Trisher xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,402
    [
    Im glad the medicines are working for you. I will keep trying other things. Funny how I just pop painkillers without a care yet fearful of the big boy drugs. Im beginning to think my Rheumatologist is just a Narco trafficker lol[/quote]

He he!!
    Maybe he is.....!!!
    Mmmm...
    what would I do in your place Eve?
    You have got to the point of collecting them??
    Stick a post on the LWA forum - tilte it by the name of the drug and ask if anyone is on it and how it works for them?
    That's what I would do :)
    Love
    Toni x
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi Eve

Welcome to the forum. :D Look forward to seeing you on the other zones - actually I have already seen your name there! :D

We do our utmost to help, advise, support and sympathise with one other. We do understand on here whereas others may or do not.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Hi Eve,
    Just to say welcome to this really friendly forum, I have OA so can't comment on your meds, but you will get plenty of support on hear.
    You take care
    Love Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • chile168
    Hi Barbara,

Thank you for the welcome. Yes I agree people are very supportive and it's also great to see that everyone has a fighting spirit and willing to also make a joke. Glad we take it in our stride.

Take care and hope to speak on here sometime xxxxxxx

Eve
  • countessheather
    countessheather Member Posts: 114
    Hi Eve,i'm Heather and also 45 and also `not a happy bunny' with my meds -im still trying to get the pain relielf levels addressed. But...?Im fairly new and everyone here has made me feel welcome and there is a lot of humour, mick-taking and straight talking. You will find `lots' of practical advice from alot of experianced people who will support you with any aspects of anything becaujse they genuenly care.