This Saturday and Sunday National Bird Watching

lindalegs
lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
edited 27. Jan 2010, 14:23 in Community Chit-chat archive
If you can spare an hour of your time this weekend why don't you join the Big Garden Bird Watch?

All you have to do is sit for an hour where you can see your garden, or go to the local park and just count the maximum number of bird species that land there over the course of an hour (in trees counts as well as on bird tables and, of course, on the ground). For example, if three sparrows land at the same time in the hour the answer is three. If one sparrow lands, flies away, then two sparrows then the maximum number would be two …..see what I mean?

If you go onto the RSPB website, link below, you can download a form that helps you to identify and carry out the survey. Then you just submit your results on line.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/birdwatch/?gclid=CNmMxvKYsZ8CFQdl4wodfjeu1Q

It's great to do with children and grandchildren or just on your own ….we're doing it, with a pot of coffee and cakes.

Hope you get a chance to join in. :D

Luv Legs who's a bit of an old bird herself :roll:
Love, Legs x
'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'

Comments

• joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Linda,

Thanks. My OH and myself usually sit each morning looking out of our dining room window whilst having breakfast, sometimes with binochulars at all the birds sitting in a row on the clematis posts where all the feeders are. Mr Robin keeps singing to us aswell. He is quite a chatterbox. Probably asking for Robin food again. We hve about 3 pairs of ring doves and 2 boxes of great tits. We love watching them.

We feel that it is still a bit too cold to go and watch them anywhere else. Mind you, I want to go and see if I can find the Red Kites flying. There are lots over Corby and Rockingham Forest Way. I want to do a painting of them flying. My friend does linocut pictures of these and other birds and they are beautiful, but I would like to try a pen and wash similar to the own that I did.
    I think my next art exhibition is going to be purely of birds and animals the rate that I am going.

Hope you enjoy your weekend.

Joy
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi Linda,
    Thats sounds lovely, I love to sit and watch the birds on the feeders, trouble is my new neighbour has three cats, so I had to move the feeders and can't see them has good.
    Don't get me wrong I love cats...one has move in to ours already, have you any tips on keeping both happy :)
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • lindalegs
    barbara12 wrote:
    Hi Linda,
    Thats sounds lovely, I love to sit and watch the birds on the feeders, trouble is my new neighbour has three cats, so I had to move the feeders and can't see them has good.
    Don't get me wrong I love cats...one has move in to ours already, have you any tips on keeping both happy :)
    Barbara x

Hi Barbara

I'm not fond of cats, sorry to all you cat lovers :oops: (they always go after the blue tits that nest in our box :x so I don't mind if the cats are miffed .......but we have a problem with squirrels swinging from the bird food ....we shall still be there watching in a comfy seat, pen and paper at the ready. :D
    Love, Legs x
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Got the nipper all ready she has her binoes and books at the ready!.
  • maud48
    maud48 Member Posts: 170
    I can tell you the answer now - seagulls, horrible, big, noisy things. They chase all the other birds away and stamp on my roof at some ungodly hour in the morning (bedroom is in the attic).
    My last cat was agoraphobic because they attacked her as a kitten. She would only venture outside about a yard from the back door, which had to be open or she panicked. As soon as she heard a seagull he shot into the house as if the hounds of hell were after her, so have no love for them at all,
    maudx
  • breane
    breane Member Posts: 392
    I'll be doing the birdwatch this weekend.Did it last year so I was sent the info for this year.This winter was the first time we've had Redwings in the garden.Apparently the cold weather brought them into towns to look for extra food.We just get the usual birds visit our garden,sparrows,starlings pigeons(not many of those thankgoodness),doves,blue tits,robins and sometimes a wren.I found early to mid morning was the best time to watch,that's the time most come to feed off the bird table and feeders. Breane. :)
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Legs,

I shall try and remember not least cus I seen Annie's bird...... Its def a robin on steroids I think :wink:

Luv

Cris xx
  • lindalegs
    breane wrote:
    I'll be doing the birdwatch this weekend.Did it last year so I was sent the info for this year.This winter was the first time we've had Redwings in the garden.Apparently the cold weather brought them into towns to look for extra food..........I found early to mid morning was the best time to watch,that's the time most come to feed off the bird table and feeders. Breane. :)

Hi Breane,

We saw three redwings in our garden this year during the snow and we've never had them before and we also had a black cap .....on both occasions hubby's had to rush for the bird book :lol: ....good exercise for him though. :wink:

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
  • lindalegs
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Legs,

I shall try and remember not least cus I seen Annie's bird...... Its def a robin on steroids I think :wink:

Luv

Cris xx

What's Annie's bird Cris .....a new species perhaps?

Love, Legs x
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Legs,
    It honestly is a big thrush type and has a lot of red on its front and is bigger than the thrushes and redwings it came with....... I have no idea what it was cus it was up at the gate and flew over every time I tried to get close enough. Its def the shape of the F'fairs, Redwings and both types of thrushes, it likes their company but I never seen one this big or with so much red on it before..... Mind...... my eyes are not 100% but Annie saw one like it and she has good eyes :wink:

Luv

Cris who is wondering what it actually is now.... xx
  • lindalegs
    ......anyone in touch with Bill Oddie or Kate Humble, sounds like we need an expert ? :?

n028.GIF
    Love, Legs x
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Linda, I've bumped up my original thread for you to see..............came reluctantly to the conclusion that it was an escapee 'exotic' species from somewhere.

Haven't seen it since the posting, but haven't been able to do much 'looking' for it and doubt if I will be able to take part over the weekend much though I would like to.

Annie
  • lindalegs
    Thanks for bumping it up Annie ......have written down on your thread what I think it could be.

Pity you can't join in with the Bird Watch. :(

Love, Legs x