Help Please......A Back Rest?????

Options
hileena111
hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
edited 5. Feb 2010, 16:44 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi,
I need some help....whats new you ask LOL just less than 2 weeks before I go in for my op.
When i come out I have 6 to 8 weeks sleeping on my back. Everyone finds this uncomfortable but I've got sinus problems and if I sleep on my back I cant breath through my nose{ ...seems OK on my side} so I breath through my mouth, mouth gets dry and I waken up choking.
I was in hospital at the beginning of last year for 2 weeks with a smashed ankle and not allowed to sleep on my side....had to be on my back with my ankle raised. I was just thinking...how did I manage that and then i realised that the hospital beds tip up at either end....That brings me to my question.......Does anyone know of a "back rest" {dont know what else to call it.} that would prop me up......more than just pillows but not in a sitting position. Or any other suggestions. I know the mods dont like us leaving links but if you have any pm me please.
All suggestions gratefully received
:D
Love
Hileena

Comments

• kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Hileena

I'm nearly 6 weeks on from my hip replacement now
    and I was worried about the sleeping on my back
    thing. Also I have sinus problems like you.

I did manage with one of those V-shaped pillows
    on top of another pillow and I pulled it right down
    at each side into my neck and shoulders and found it
    reasonably comfortable. I wasnt sitting up as such
    but then I wasnt lying too flat either, more like
    'propped up' I would say.

I also had a flattish pillow under my knees to take
    the strain of my lower back as I have displaced discs
    and it wasnt too bad.

Cant say I slept for many hours at a time but I dont
    anyway. I still cant sleep on my operated side but
    the other side feels ok, although the info said not
    to try sleeping on your good side until after the 6 weeks is up.
    Oops.

Good luck with everything
    Just think that awful pain will soon be GONE, GONE
    for ever.

Kath
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Options
    Hi

Some months ago I bought a tirangular shaped cushion from Lidlfor £9.99. It's been a godsend I use it to put behind my back when I'm sitting watching tv (especially if I have backage); to prop legs up when lying down. It can also be used for use your head and shoulders up. You can buy them online but they're a bit more expensive.

Could you contact your Occupational Therapist directly? They should be able to supply you with a suitable cushion or other support.

Sharmaine

hileena111 wrote:
    Hi,
    I need some help....whats new you ask LOL just less than 2 weeks before I go in for my op.
    When i come out I have 6 to 8 weeks sleeping on my back. Everyone finds this uncomfortable but I've got sinus problems and if I sleep on my back I cant breath through my nose{ ...seems OK on my side} so I breath through my mouth, mouth gets dry and I waken up choking.
    I was in hospital at the beginning of last year for 2 weeks with a smashed ankle and not allowed to sleep on my side....had to be on my back with my ankle raised. I was just thinking...how did I manage that and then i realised that the hospital beds tip up at either end....That brings me to my question.......Does anyone know of a "back rest" {dont know what else to call it.} that would prop me up......more than just pillows but not in a sitting position. Or any other suggestions. I know the mods dont like us leaving links but if you have any pm me please.
    All suggestions gratefully received
    :D
    Love
    Hileena
  • hileena111
    Options
    Thanks for all your ideas....sorry I havent answered earlier.
    I saw a back rest in a-g-s cat. £17 a bit like an old type deck chair...canvas and it has about 5 different positions it can go to.
    Then I had the idea of ringing the OT and she suggested that type and then said but the feedback wasnt very good....pillows kept slipping off, then she said she would order me a bean bag and try that.....so I'm waiting to hear......meantime thanks I forget about that other site...I'll have a look today.
    Love
    Hileena
  • chile168
    chile168 Member Posts: 384
    Options
    Hi Heleena,

Read your thread and all suggestions rushing through head and as I started to read reply I had to laugh.

LOL - I was going to suggest the triangle pillow but saw someone already did.

Then I was going to suggest the canvas prop for back but noticed you already thought of that.

Then I was going to suggest you call your OT but you already thought of that.

Great minds think alike :)

Eve
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi Eve,
    Thanks LOL........I hadnt a clue where to start at first....just panicked at the idea of being on my back for so long.....then gradually people suggested things and I got ideas from that so the lates is I'm waiting for the OT to ring me about a bean bag......she said that would be the best....the canvas back rest....the feedback was that the pillows kept slipping???? That wouldnt bother me...I'll velcro them on someway LOL
    Love
    Hileena
  • chile168
    Options
    Im not surprised you panicked, I would have done the same.

My OT had given me something that you plug in and it inflates which you can put to your liking. I don't use it now as my op was over a year ago. I must admit I couldn't get on with it and bean bag sounds better.

Good luck with your op hun xxxxxx

Eve
  • hileena111
    Options
    Thanks.......cant say i've heard of that one before......as for the bean bag.....hope it comes soon enough for me to try it and if it doesn't work.......I'll dispatch hubby of to argos to buy the canvas one LOL

Love
    Hileena
  • chile168
    Options
    :lol::lol::lol: thats the spirit.