Fluid in my joints?

Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
edited 1. Feb 2010, 16:31 in Living with Arthritis archive
This might sound silly but it feels like there's fluid in my joints. I'm puffy and swollen in my affected joints. It's making me feel quite sick, to be honest. I'm meant to be getting a cortisone injection but I haven't heard from the hospital yet.

I'm miserable. :(

Comments

• Starburst
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Anyone please? :oops:
  • purplecats
    purplecats Member Posts: 15
    Hiya
    Do you have Rheumatoid Arthritis? If so it is possible the feeling of fluid in your joints is the swelling that has been caused by the RA. I used to get a lot, the joints feel squidgy and very soft. When you have the injection it should reduce the swelling and make them less squidgy.
    Emma
  • Starburst
    purplecats wrote:
    Hiya
    Do you have Rheumatoid Arthritis? If so it is possible the feeling of fluid in your joints is the swelling that has been caused by the RA. I used to get a lot, the joints feel squidgy and very soft. When you have the injection it should reduce the swelling and make them less squidgy.
    Emma

I've not been officially diagnosed but pretty much, yes I have. For now, it's 'only' inflammatory arthritis but my rheumy is pretty sure it's RA.

Thank you for the reply.
  • purplecats
    purplecats Member Posts: 15
    Yeah if its inflammatory it sounds like that fluid feeling is caused by the swelling. Its a strange feeling though when your not used to it. They used to use my squishy joints as a way of determing how bad the RA was.
    :) hope the hospital are in touch with you soon about the injection
    Emma
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    had it in my knees was not nice kept thinking would slide off them lol
    val
  • mistywillow
    mistywillow Member Posts: 711
    Hi there
    Sorry you are feeling so rough at the moment. If your joints are inflammed then frequently they will be congested with fluid around them as a result of the inflammatory process. It makes the joint feel tight and stiff and can increase the amount of discomfort that you are already suffering. The steroid injection is anti inflammatory and so should help calm things down. I hope you get one soon but in the meantime have you tried ice packs on the swollen joints? I find these really helpful.
    Gill x
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Hi,
    I have fluid in my wrists and ankles, but my blood test came back with no RF. The physio is still concerned as I have multiple joint pain. So, yes I know what you mean, its not very nice, I've tried resting with my legs up, I've tried exercise, but nothing seems to make a difference!
    Hope you soon get sorted out, Love Sue
  • Starburst
    Thank you for the replies. I usually find ice packs too painful but I think I might have to grin and bear it to help the swelling go down.

My rheumy did say I could take 2 anti-inflammatories (celebrex) instead of 1 a day. I have a GP appt this week, so I'll ask if my prescription can be changed. I'm taking co-codamol like there's no tomorrow. I try to only take 2 or 4 a day (because they make me sleepy) but I've been taking 8 a day and it's barely touching the pain.

I'm super miserable. :( I've had a cold and now it's gone to my chest. I think I might have an infection. I have a GP appt later this week but I don't know if I should leave it or make an emergency appt tomorrow. I feel so guilty missing work, even though they're really understanding and supportive.

Oh my goodness, what a long moan! :lol:
    Thank you for listening to all of this.
    xx
  • chile168
    chile168 Member Posts: 384
    Hi Princess01,

I have RA and get fluid in joints. Swollen all the time.

Hope the swelling goes down soon for you.

Eve x
  • jackie1955
    jackie1955 Member Posts: 632
    Hi,

I have RA, and I get swellings around joints, especially wrists, knees, ankles, elbows....... well mostly everywhere! Every morning I wonder which parts of me are swollen that day.

I call them my 'squidgy' bits...... they feel funny and if they are particularly bad around my knees I have real pain moving them.

I prefer to apply heat rather than cold, and always wear bed socks, and keep myself warm :)

Jackie x