Horrible experience. - Blue badge

madness1985
madness1985 Member Posts: 293
edited 31. Jan 2010, 16:45 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hey,

Its really cold today and my partner needed some tea bags and cat needed cat litter. So i said id go shopping with my oh as i felt like a break from the house. We parked in a disabled bay and i disabled my blue badge, we also needed £10 out of the bank as we have a gas meter. So i said to my partner go and get the money out while i get my seatbelt off (it takes me a while because of my wrists). So i was siting in car waiting for oh to come back to help me out the car and the lady pulled behind me n was signalling at me and i was shacking my head (as i wasnt moving). So she came up to the car opened my door and said are you moving because my mother needs this space cuz shes in a w/c and there's nothing wrong with you? i politely said i have my blue badge displayed im just waiting for my partner to come back from the cash point to help me out and into the store (when i can walk i have to hold on). I said there r 2 spaces further down (nearer to the store). She slammed my door and walked off. I was in tears as im having a bad day cuz its so cold my hands were huge and my wrists have been clicking and didnt get much sleep anyway.

Then when we came out of the shop aother couple tuted at me and my partner said she has a disabled bage just because shes young doesnt mean shes not disabled.

Its the worst experience ive had

x

Comments

• maud48
    maud48 Member Posts: 170
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Some people are so rude and horrible. The only thing to do is to ignore them and not take it personally but it's so hard isn't it.
    I do hope you're feeling better now as they really aren't worth getting upset over.
    I have problems with my grandson as he has problems but isn't obviously disabled
    People often give me dirty looks or tut tut about his behaviour,
    It's difficult isn't it,
    maudx
  • theresa4
    theresa4 Member Posts: 696
    That is trully awful how cruel and inconsiderate of those people x dont let it get to you just look after yourself.
    Hope you have a brighter day tomorrow :)
    Love Theresa
    Hey,

Its really cold today and my partner needed some tea bags and cat needed cat litter. So i said id go shopping with my oh as i felt like a break from the house. We parked in a disabled bay and i disabled my blue badge, we also needed £10 out of the bank as we have a gas meter. So i said to my partner go and get the money out while i get my seatbelt off (it takes me a while because of my wrists). So i was siting in car waiting for oh to come back to help me out the car and the lady pulled behind me n was signalling at me and i was shacking my head (as i wasnt moving). So she came up to the car opened my door and said are you moving because my mother needs this space cuz shes in a w/c and there's nothing wrong with you? i politely said i have my blue badge displayed im just waiting for my partner to come back from the cash point to help me out and into the store (when i can walk i have to hold on). I said there r 2 spaces further down (nearer to the store). She slammed my door and walked off. I was in tears as im having a bad day cuz its so cold my hands were huge and my wrists have been clicking and didnt get much sleep anyway.

Then when we came out of the shop aother couple tuted at me and my partner said she has a disabled bage just because shes young doesnt mean shes not disabled.

Its the worst experience ive had

x
    There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those. --Michael Nolan

Theresa xxx
  • madness1985
    Thanks :) Its really upset me. Im just abit too sensitive at the moment x
  • fester
    fester Member Posts: 98
    totally sympathise, i used a mobility scooter to get around and get shopping etc for my wife and i. The number of people that glare or tut and make comments just because i don't have a leg missing or something that makes it apparent that i am disabled is just unbelievable.
    Sometimes i just imagine i'm the male equivalent of bodica on her chariot with blades on the wheels mowing through those insensitive SOB's, put a right smirk on my face and lets the "norms" as we used to call them at a training college i went to many years ago wonder what on earth i'm smirking at :wink:
  • suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    Nras do bumper sticker which read i might not look disabled but you dont look ignorant. on them. people can be so ignorant try and put this behind you.
    I once tryed to go up the stairs of a car park this was in my early ra days when i was less stableized on my meds. I did two flights of stairs and was rasping for breath holding on to the rail as it was too much for me. This woman looked me up and down with a sneering look on her face i did the same back she did not like it and ran off quick into the waiting lift to stop me going in it first and shut the doors. Still glad i did it though what gives people the right to judge others. sorry to hear about your bad experiance from joanne
    Joanne
  • annebr
    annebr Member Posts: 730
    Don't let them grind you down.

I have also had this, even had a traffic warden ask me 'exactly what is wrong with you'.

It's hard not to get upset but don't let them get to you.

Anne
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Hi, really sorry to hear about your experience although I have had the problem too, people are just so rude, it is not as though there wasn't any more spaces, just try and ignore them and look on the bright side, not easy I know love Jaspercatxx
  • zechariah
    zechariah Member Posts: 222
    Sorry to hear about your experience!

I often get dirty looks from old people as we pull into a disabled bay, I am 6'4" and 19st and dont look ill, they soon change their ways when they see my wife get my wheelchair out of the boot!

People will always act like this it is human nature, turn the situation round and smile, they got it wrong and you was right! :lol:
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Hi

So sorry to see this, some people are just so damn rude. How dare she open your car door and be so unpleasant, when as you say you were needing to get out for a break and change of scene.
    You are fully entitled to park in those bays so please don't let this arrogant women upset you for too long. I just wanted to send a hug and hope tomorrow is a better day. ((( )))
    take care
    Chris
  • handsy
    handsy Member Posts: 209
    Hi first things first, I know how you feel but at the end of the day don't let Ba***ds get you down. In my case as yours I was at the super market in the disabled bay as I have and am intitled to a blue badge. I was feeling quite good as it had just arrived and was keen to use it (you know what I mean) I am six foot and 18 stone so I would say not easily offended. So I parked in the bay blue badge displayed, got out of the car and went to walk off I had my stick. Then this trolley collector came over and said you can't park there? why not i said. oh its for disabled people to use. That was it I hit the roof, he got the lot months of pent up anger, PAIN DLA ESA DOCTORS HOSPITALS having to prove that I am ill. Oh and I turned the air Purple not blue, He knew what i meant aftrwards mind you. So next time this happens try not to get upset and tell the buggers were too go. :o
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    You have posted similar before.You must live in a area full of rude people.I havent had this before but if i do I will drop my trousers and show them my scar from hip operation.
    Your husband-to-be was right to defend you and I suppose you will have to have some good answers ready.
    Dont let it stop you going out
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    These people are jealous you have a space but some how forget the reason why you have a space.
    I havent a blue badge but a space in works car park. A comment has been made! by a collegue that i have a permenant space. I have said to the person who told what someone had said if they say it again i will be reporting them for disability discrimination!
    Like the sticker someone mentioned though.
  • mouseymousey
    mouseymousey Member Posts: 283
    Stupid stupid people. Next time I'd make a note of her reg and report her!
  • jennyanydots
    jennyanydots Member Posts: 49
    annebr wrote:
    Don't let them grind you down.

I have also had this, even had a traffic warden ask me 'exactly what is wrong with you'.

It's hard not to get upset but don't let them get to you.

Anne

I think this is a bit rich! ... do you have to tell a traffic warden what is wrong with you :?: is it a requirement :?: ... what is wrong with you surely is between you and your medical professionals, after all you would not have your badge if you weren’t having mobility problems ... and I like the idea about the bumper sticker ( I may not look disabled but you don't look ignorant) like it :!:

jenny
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Stupid stupid people. Next time I'd make a note of her reg and report her!

Good idea, disabled people are not immune from the Disability Discrimination Act.

Nor from being reported for abuse of their Blue Badge which I would say is what also happened. Having a Blue Badge does not give you the right to order other Blue Badge holders to move just for you.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    I think this is a bit rich! ... do you have to tell a traffic warden what is wrong with you :?: is it a requirement :?: ... what is wrong with you surely is between you and your medical professionals, after all you would not have your badge if you weren’t having mobility problems ... and I like the idea about the bumper sticker ( I may not look disabled but you don't look ignorant) like it :!:

jenny

Simply inform the traffic warden that as they are not medically qualified nor the issuer of the Blue Badge, while they may inspect the front and rear of the badge, they have no rights to query your possession or use of it. If they persist, get on your mobile, ring 999 and phone the police as you are being harassed due to being disabled. Traffic wardens are not police officers, nor are they immune from arrest and the police will usually be on your side. I reckon that a little bit of 'education' by a couple of burly police officers often causes a rethink.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • madness1985
    I do live in an area which is full of people who believe they are top of society .. and are quite ignorant and arogant. Old people think they can park in disabled bays just because they are old in the area i live in and no one challenges them! (the people im talking about dont have a blue badge they are just old!)
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    I'm so sorry you had a bad experience. Some people are too rude for words and ignorance like that makes my blood boil!

I hope you're ok. Don't let the $^*(*$% get you down, you're worth more than that. :wink: x