mtx

alison67
alison67 Member Posts: 70
Hi, can anyone advise if mtx injections are better than taking it orally?
I'm still on 15mg weekly but am suffering nausea.
Thanks in advance for your helpful replies.x

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,462
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Alison
    If the nausea is really troublesome you might be better on injections. Talk to your rheumy team about the pros and cons.
    If you put this question on the 'Living with Arthritis' site you should get lots of replies from people who've tried both methods.
    Best wishes
    Val
  • sweetestapples
    sweetestapples Member Posts: 8
    alison67 wrote:
    Hi, can anyone advise if mtx injections are better than taking it orally?
    I'm still on 15mg weekly but am suffering nausea.
    Thanks in advance for your helpful replies.x

Hi Alison
    I am on 20mg of methotrexate weekly. I used to take the tablets but had really bad heart burn and felt sick all the time. I am now on the injections and find that the heartburn is tolerable most of the time and the nausea has gone. I inject myself at home and have done so from the first week. It is easy to do. It is the thought of injecting oneself that is the most difficult thing. If you take it slowly and don't rush it is easy and not at all painful. I usually inject after a bath or shower when my muscles are warm and relaxed.
    Good luck.
  • alison67
    alison67 Member Posts: 70
    Thank you for your replies, i'll talk to my rheumy.x
  • sarahbenn
    sarahbenn Member Posts: 39
    hi there, ive tried taking mtx both orally and injections and both ways made me very poorly with sickness and fatigue :cry: my body just dosn't agree with it i still do take it but only 7.5mg per week which my body seems to just about be able to cope with, i also take sulpha and hydro which seems to work well at the mo for me, its just a matter of finding the right combo for you as everyone reacts differently to these drugs :D
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Hi, I am on 20mg injections of MXT, much better for me, I do still get a bit of nausea but my gp gives me anti-sickness tablets, so I would talk to your Rheumy nurse love Jaspercatxx
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    I think I've answered another thread like this but I'm not sure.
    I've had to change from the tablets to the injections and find them much less nauseating. They told me at the hospital that this is often the case but everyone is started off with tablets and they can be increased easier. I'm on 20mg which I give myself once a week. It only takes a few seconds and once you get used to it I don't find it too bad. I was a bit hesitant at first but now I just do it.
    If you don't want to or can't do your own injections the hospital will do them for you but it would be a bit of a palaver for me to get there, park , wait around etc.... so it's simpler for me to do my own.I hope you can get something that works for you and that you can manage.
    good luck
    rita