hi everyone

laurajl
laurajl Member Posts: 5
edited 31. Jan 2010, 22:02 in Say Hello Archive
Hi Everyone

I am 22 years old and have just been diagnosed with Osteoarthritis of the hip. I was born with a dislocated hip that went undiagnosed for 9 years. I had an operation at the age of 10 which put the hip bone back into the socket, but not properly. The operation left me with an 8cm difference in length between both my legs, which means I limp quite alot. I have to have one shoe built up to stop me from walking on tip toe.

I have been told that I need my hip replacing, but that it will be a technically difficult operation. I am scared about having this done, and have read quite alot about it on the internet that I wish i hadn't.

It is nice to find a forum where people are understanding, and know what others are going through :)

Laura

Comments

• chile168
    chile168 Member Posts: 384
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Laura,

Welcome to the forum :)

Sorry to hear that you are having a really difficult time and that you will need an operation. I have not had hip op so unfortunately cannot put your mind at rest.

I think the internet is a great tool to inform yourself but it can also frighten the hell out of you. I have read about certain medication on the net and therefore refusing treatment at the moment even though I know Im getting worse and desperately need it. Having talked to people on here, I am slowly coming round to the idea of finally accepting treatment and will be speaking to my rheumy.

The people here are really friendly, understanding and very supportive.

Hope to see you in other forums too. Take care xxxxx

Eve
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi Laura,
    Welcome to the forum, I am due to have my hips replaced , the first thing I did was get on the internet, I wish I had come on here first, anyway you join in ask questions, have a moan, but best of all have a laugh.
    You take care
    love Barbara x :)
    Love
    Barbara
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Hi Laura

Just popping say to say hello and welcome, though am sorry you are struggling at such a young age. Do ask your questions, on here or phone the helpline if you need too.
    There are lots of peeps here who will offer advise and support if they can or simply send a hug if they can't, but don't feel alone with it all.
    Take care
    Chris
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Hi Laura!
    welcome from me too!........I'm glad you found the forum and am sure you'll find we're a friendly lot !.....

sorry you've got the prospect of a hip op coming up....I know what you mean by regretting reading up on the internet...!!!

I've not had that op either but if you post on the 'living with arthritis' forum I'm sure you'll get lots of help and support from other peeps who have...

you could also post on the 'young people's forum' too!

take care and hope you enjoy being part of the forum family. Iris x