pain

valval
valval Member Posts: 14,911
edited 1. Feb 2010, 16:30 in Community Chit-chat archive
does the way we feel pain change or do we find ways to distract our selves . so it does not feel so fearce still painfull but and hurts as much but different can not explane . have suffered migraines for years these days although get all the symptoms flashing eyes feeling sick head all messed up,but the all consuming pain not there, it could be because i can tell when one coming and take pain meds before it gets controll what do you think????????
val

Comments

• annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I'm sure you're right in that we learn to recognise the first signs and take whatever is necessary to control it.........my migraines are always brought on by lights.......bright lights, flashing lights etc and I have learned to avoid those situations as much as possible.

Sometimes I still get caught out, especially this time of year when the sun is so low in the sky. My first sign is always visual disturbances (halos round objects and bright edges on lighter things) so I'm able to catch them soon enough.

In the last five years have actually had only 3 times (I think) when I got really caught out and ended up in the bathroom all night!

Annie
  • valval
    yes mine start in my eyes for years would end up in bed unable to stand any light and not liking the heat for some reason when got one like to be cool but last bad one affected right side of body could not move it properly lol after pain in right side of head took weeks for it to clear not nice
    val
  • annie_mial
    That does sound a bad one, Val - so far all mine do at the crisis end is make me sick all night; if you get one like that again, do go and report to the doctor, it might be that you now need some extra help with them.

Annie
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Hi Val

It is so difficult to describe and explain pain, isn't it? One consultant I saw said that doctors hear the word so much that they get almost immune to it. He thought that they should somehow be forced to feel it occasionally so that they would be more sympathetic to their patients. I think he had a point.

I have found that I can distract myself to a certain extent, and music works quite well for me. But pain always seems worse at night if it keeps you awake. That is probably because there is nothing to distract your mind.

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • valval
    annie_mial wrote:
    That does sound a bad one, Val - so far all mine do at the crisis end is make me sick all night; if you get one like that again, do go and report to the doctor, it might be that you now need some extra help with them.

Annie
    went all you get is have you had migrains before lol it did scare me but stress tends to cause mine so stress free lol that me
    val
  • valval
    joanlawson wrote:
    Hi Val

It is so difficult to describe and explain pain, isn't it? One consultant I saw said that doctors hear the word so much that they get almost immune to it. He thought that they should somehow be forced to feel it occasionally so that they would be more sympathetic to their patients. I think he had a point.

I have found that I can distract myself to a certain extent, and music works quite well for me. But pain always seems worse at night if it keeps you awake. That is probably because there is nothing to distract your mind.

Joan

yes that why it great to come on here when rest of world asleep and natter to keep us ocupied . how do you discribe pain some ache some sharp lol not much good at it well stiff and aching today or could say low grade pain lol
    val
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    There is pain and then there is referred pain. How do you differentiate between the two? When I go the the chiro, I then feel sore in areas which haven't hurt before, so I suppose that is referred pain. Also, referred pain can indicate that something else is wrong. It can be so difficult when you are in constant pain with arthritis, to identify when something else could be wrong.

Joy
  • joyful164
    Women are more prone to experience pain at levels, which men usually tolerate because of the difference in sex hormones and increased prevalence of depression and anxiety in them.

I have just read this and thought that this puts it all into a nutshell.

You see, women have to experience the level of pain which men can sometimes incur also.

Joy
  • valval
    joyful164 wrote:
    Women are more prone to experience pain at levels, which men usually tolerate because of the difference in sex hormones and increased prevalence of depression and anxiety in them.

You see, women have to experience the level of pain which men can sometimes incur also.

Joy

wow think this went over my head a bit does that mean that men r better with pain than we r . or did i get it so wrong lol
    val
  • valval
    rehab44 wrote:
    My pain and I know each other, we are familiar with each other and I can recognise a visiting pain immediately even though it is in the same area as the resident pain. The resident pain has it moods too, sometimes dull and nagging (like a woman :D )sometimes angry and very sharp. (like a woman :D ) We are used to each other having been very close for many years and 24/7 we both know how far we can go before we resort to drugs. My pain does not like the drugs she (is pain always female?) sulks, hides in the background waiting for her moment to strike generally at night and in the dark when I am not ready. She is sneaky :D

strange i call mine arther lol, and it not nice like a female lol. today it doing its best to make me cry or pass out not a good feeling ggggrrrrrr it getting to me and i try not to let it but last couple of days it is winning slept a lot yesterday and even though slept last night woke up exhausted and still in pain so will nap before work nearly phoned in sick as feel so bad but will do me good to get up and get moving to take my mind off it :(:(:(
    val
  • annie_mial
    joyful164 wrote:

Joy

I know I am not at my best, but this made no sense to me whichever way I read it.

Annie
  • valval
    annie_mial wrote:
    joyful164 wrote:

Joy

I know I am not at my best, but this made no sense to me whichever way I read it.

Annie

so glad thought it was me
    val
  • chile168
    chile168 Member Posts: 384
    Hi Val,

Just wanted to say you have my deepest sympathy on migraines. I have had them since the age of 13 and they have gotten worse, particularly when I'm on my monthly so perhaps it is the hormones.

I don't get flashing lights - I get floaters and really weird to explain but in the corner of my right eye I get zig-zags and looks like there's water and filling up - cannot explain it properly. I also vomit with them and feels like my head it's gonna explode. Once I vomit the pressure from head seem to slightly ease.

I find that if I put a wet cloth (cold) at back of neck it helps. When it gets too hot, I wet it again and either place it on my forehead or back of neck.

Not sure whether you have already tried that but for me it helps a little.

Eve xxxxx
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    this is intersting
    my migrains put me to bed in the dark the slightest glimer of light gets through my eye lids , my body is very tence , and my throat wont let me swollow a pill of any kind ,sips of water and the odd crumb of ginger biscuit is all i can do ,every,sound is much louder than usuall and my whole head is very tender x
    uncle arther pain ache is constant but comes from deep inside the bones
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Val,

Anyone with migraines gets my sympathy. I used to get them mixed in with the vertigo. I used to think I was dying actually cus of all the visual disturbances and distancing from reality the vertigo gives me. Thankfully now the pain (used to feel like my head was falling apart for days at a time) has gone though I guess that was when the lesion was growing nobody ever said.

Just the vertigo now, oh and the eye thing, and I do get some warning on it but not long enough to do much except get home and inside before it really hits. If I am not being sick and can keep them down the tablets can really help but they put me way over the normal dose. I had it in the doctors once and even the injections didn't help very quick and in the hospital it went 72 hrs but mostly cus I couldn't remember what drug to beg for :wink:

You said about your neck? Mine they say 'might' be from my neck..... they also blame age, circulation, head injuries and poss. anything else they happen to think of or see out the window. I hope you can find something though cus they hurt big time. ((( ))) Cris x
  • joyful164
    I think we underestimate some doctors and consultants. I'm sure the majority do understand what we are going through
    Especially my doctor because he has the same PMR that I have

If we have a bad headache, we take our painkiller, quietly get on with it. If a man has one, the whole household knows about it and it is their fault. You try and give them advice, but will not take it and would rather carry on moaning.

One exception, I think, is my OH because he never ever complains.
    The time he had his heart attack proves that. He created his own bypass;
    I remember once, after he fell 50ft down tothe hold on HMS Warrier in Portsmouth. He broke is collar bone, dislocated three fingers and twisted his ankle, but he still managed to walk up the stairs. When he got to hospital. He had his fingers put back without anaesthetics.
    He is, in my eyes quite amazing. He just doesn't feel pain.

He may get on my nerves sometimes because he is so perfect and he knows it. but I love him

Joy
  • valval
    joy rather him than me would have passed out . you have a good one there do not tell him though he wont get through the door
    val
  • pluggathome
    pluggathome Member Posts: 171
    Hi all

I get migraines too which are very fearce but luckilyonly last 4-6 hours. I get the halos, numb fingers, sickness and talk gibberish. My boss spotted my last one as i told her her head had just shrunk.....somehow she put two and two together so I could take my pills fast.

I have also learnt that your tummy stop processing properly when you have a migraine so liquid or dissolve on the tongue tabs are better.

As for arthur, well some days i just tell him where to go, but at the moment, he has come up with a new trick so is winning..... little so and so.

I prefer a straightforward pain to an ache or throb because for me something specific to deal with for some reason I can cope with.

Plugg
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    When I was under the pain clinic, the doctor told me that if you leave pain and take no meds, then it can gradually get to a stage when it gets out of hand and it is so hard for anyone to control it.

This has happend to me several times, as I did not like bothering doctors. She was right, it took ages beore they did control it.

Trish xx
  • joyful164
    valval wrote:
    joy rather him than me would have passed out . you have a good one there do not tell him though he wont get through the door

Thank Val.
    After getting wrong twice I think I deserve my wonderful No.3

I'm sure I get on his nerves too, but not as bad as his ex.

Joy
  • valval
    trish you r so right but some times you just do not want to take so many tabs lol . look after your self and take your meds even if we do not lol.
    val