septic arthritis

dorcas
dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
hello helpline!

I have just returned from hospital...expecting to have my wrist injected with steroids as it has been very very painful for a few weeks with flu like symptoms on top!
After examination etc the consultant thinks I have septic arthritis of this joint and has taken bloods etc. He also tried to aspirate the joint without success..ouch!
Typically, my mind went numb and I didn't ask the questions I should!
I have to phone in on Monday for results but that now seems a long way off and I must admit I am a bit worried.
Do you know what Septic arthritis is helpline?
thanks, Iris x

Comments

• bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    hope somebody can help you it must be a worry for you xxxxx
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • dorcas
    bertyboy wrote:
    hope somebody can help you it must be a worry for you xxxxx

thanks berty boy.
    I was too late to speak to the helpline but thought I'd post the question anyway!
    maybe someone else on the forum will know something about it............it's my own fault for not asking the consultant!
    Irisx
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Septic Arthritis is quite a serious thing as far as I know Dorcas and is caused by infection but I don't honestly know if any infection in the joints is called septic arthritis (if you know what I mean). Hopefully they're just being careful and it's inflammation rather than a nasty infection. If you have an infection in your joints you will need antibiotics but I don't know which ones. If your condition gets any worse over the weekend, I'd ring a Dr. or go to A&E.
    Hospital Dr's are'nt great at prescribing painkillers and it might be worth getting some morphine for a few days from your GP.
    I do hope you rest as much as is possible and perhaps use cold packs to help as well.
    Let us know how you get on.
    rita
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Iris,

Sorry you had this. A ((())) and hope they soon give you some treatment. Did they give you antibiotics? Mind they probably want to see what 'bug' is there to hit it hard with a specific type. You rest it and as Rita says fomentation can help. Try not to worry luv Cris x
  • dorcas
    Thanks for the advice & support folks....

I was given two heavy duty antibiotics home with me to start with as a precautionary measure and was told to go to the local A&E if I feel any worse over weekend.........don't feel very reassured by that!......and would not be keen to go to A&E as they know nothing about me!

I'm such a dweeb for not asking more about it!! had a very restless night as a result..

The wrist involved is the one that's to have the total wrist replacement op this year.....it is soooo painful! My rheumy consultant yesterday described as 'ferocious'.

Guess I'll have to wait until Monday for results etc but really grateful for you peeps on the forum...Iris x
  • ritwren
    I hope you've been resting and that today was a better day for you Iris. At least if it is infection the anti biotics should start to kick in tomorrow or so, usually in 48hours you could start to see the start of some improvement.
    Take good care.
    rita
  • dorcas
    Thanks Rita!

Wrist is 'murderrrr' and feeling sick,....don't know where to put myself with the pain!
    swallowing tramadol like sweeties and hoping things improve once antibiotics kick in....

glad to have the forum to keep me sane until tomorrow, and typing one handed is a new skill I'm developing! Iris x
  • bertyboy
    hi Iris
    you just take it easy nibble a ginger biscuit for the sickness some times its a vicious circle with medication you need to take it for relief but in doing that it can bring other things that need meds xx
  • ritwren
    Oh Iris it's awful to know you're feeling like this. Thankfully today is Monday, do speak to Rheumy and get them to do something for you, even if it means coming into hospital for IV antibiotics instead of oral. Could you maybe also get some morphine tablets or Temgesic, that you can dissolve under your tongue for the pain. They should also be able to give you anti sickness tablets too.
    Big hugs, rita
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,463
    Hello Iris
    Septic arthritis is a serious infection of the joints which needs to be treated urgently with antibiotics. Your blood results today will show if you have this and if you are already on the correct antibiotics or if they need to be changed.
    Sounds as if your doctor was quick to spot this and is doing all the right things. The following link will get you to information on it
    http://www.hmc.psu.edu/healthinfo/s/septicarthritis.htm.
    Our phone lines are open if you want to talk to us.
    Best wishes
    Val
  • dorcas
    Hello Iris
    Septic arthritis is a serious infection of the joints which needs to be treated urgently with antibiotics. Your blood results today will show if you have this and if you are already on the correct antibiotics or if they need to be changed.
    Sounds as if your doctor was quick to spot this and is doing all the right things. The following link will get you to information on it
    http://www.hmc.psu.edu/healthinfo/s/septicarthritis.htm.
    Our phone lines are open if you want to talk to us.
    Best wishes
    Val
    thanks bertyboy and Rita for your support! I will definitely be asking for something stronger for the pain. Was up at 3am because of it..

thanks helpline for the advice, support and the link!
    now waiting for my rheumy consultant to phone this afternoon. Irisx
  • helpline_team
    Keep us updated Iris

All the best

Val
  • cutieclaire
    cutieclaire Member Posts: 134
    Hi, I had the same when I was 7 years old in my knee. Its not nice. I can remember my mum taking me to the doc and he trying to drain the fluid himself!!! I then had to go under in hospital and be in cast 4 6 weeks. I would of loved antibiotics but I think a lot of knowledge and support is there now compared to back then. My thoughts are with you and I do hope you are feeling much better. I am sure with all there knowledge nowerdays they will be able to help you xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • dorcas
    Hi helpline,
    just had a call from my rheumatologist. Bloods not ok and am being admitted to hospital now to have the joint 'drained' and 'washed out' and for iv antibiotics for a few days.

I'm actually quite relieved to being going in as my wrist is agony!

thank you helpline and to all the peeps who kindly supported me over the weekend. thanks too csouthwood for sharing your experience...and welcome to the forum!

you are all just wonderful! Iris x
  • ritwren
    I'm so relieved for you as I know you've been having the most awful time. Hopefully whatever they do coupled with stronger analgesia and forced rest will help ease your pain and make you more comfortable. We're all wishing you the best and hope you can still keep in touch. With a bit of luck they'll have wirelss internet access but if not then we'll catch up when you're out again.
    Big big hugs and best of luck
    rita
  • helpline_team
    Hi Iris
    This sounds like the best thing to happen. Hope it all goes well & that you're soon home & back on the Forum.
    All the best
    Val & the Helplines Team
  • bertyboy
    Hi Iris take care and rest up and come back soon xxxxxxx
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    hi Iris, let us know how you get on.
    best of luck. sally x
  • cutieclaire
    cutieclaire Member Posts: 134
    Hi Iris,

Thank you for your message. Hope you are ok. Thoughts are with you and Good luck.xxxxx
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Iris

Sorry have only just seen this. So sorry you have had an anxious and painful weekend. Do hope you are not at the hospital for too long and soon feel better. Sending a hug (((( ))))
    take care
    Chris xx
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Iris,

I too late as well but still will be thinking about you and hoping your home soon. ((( ))) Cris x
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Iris

Just checking this one to see if there is any news? Do hope all went well at the hospital and that you are soon home and feeling better.
    Sending a bucket of hugs and good wishes your way.
    take care
    Chris xx
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Iris

Only just seen this.

I hope everything goes well and you are allowed to come home soon

Trish x
  • ritwren
    Hope all is going well and you are responding well to treatment. Hope you get home soon.
    big hugs
    rita
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Iris,
    Sorry I was to late seeing this thread, I do hope you are feeling better very soon, at least you are having the right treatment now.
    You take care hope to see you back on here soon.
    Love Barbara xx
    Love
    Barbara