Terrible first day back...Advice please....

topgirl
topgirl Member Posts: 290
Well after being off with RA for 8 months I went back to work today on a phased return...
2 weeks ago I had a meeting with HR to discuss 'reasonable adjustments' as I work in retail and have trouble with walking and standing...
We agreed:
On a stool/ chair for fitting rooms/till
50/50 split stand/sit
Admin work in office when a job comes up

Started today and
No chair...seems me and the manager have to go to a shop and buy one( even tho i havent got a clue)...but my Manager said she is far to busy this week to go..
My manager was also 'too busy' to get me a till code...
My manager said that there are 'no admin jobs' for me to do..
I was on my feet all shift...
She also didnt introduce me to new team members...

I was really upset and went to loos for a little weep and my friend said my manager has said that she 'wants rid' of me and the company shouldnt keep disabled staff...
I have worked for this'big retail company for 25 years and im gutted...
What shall I do...
P.S leaving isnt an option.. :cry:

Comments

• gemmapetken
    gemmapetken Member Posts: 263
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    so sorry to hear this, i dont have any advice for you just wanted to say how sorry i was to hear such crap from your boss. Shouldnt be allowed!

gemma
  • topgirl
    delboy wrote:
    Firstly go to HR and make an official complaint that the adjustments you require to do your job haven't been implemented and that if they are not your condition will worsen (As it will) and will need to delay the return.

Secondly, if the adjustments aren't made within a reasonable time then leave and sue them for constructive dismissal and discrimination.

No point in messing about with them but give them an opportunity to to correct their error first.

Good advice....how long would you give them..?
  • markc1
    markc1 Member Posts: 253
    delboy wrote:
    topgirl wrote:

Good advice....how long would you give them..?

In my opinion a week is plenty as they were forewarned but I don't know. If you have a union rep ask them as 'reasonable' can be pretty subjective.

I agree a week is more than enough! :x
  • chile168
    chile168 Member Posts: 384
    Hi Topgirl,

Sorry to hear that your first day back at work was not a good one and shame on your employer for neglecting an employee.

I totally agree with what has been said. Your employer has a Duty of Care to his staff and he is in breach of that.

Hope they get their act together.

Eve x
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    hi the chair you get check how long it rated for (how long you can use it in a day) they all have ratings you need one with good suport or you will get back problems. also it is against the law to discriminate against disabled people so you could sue them for her comments. but sure you would rather have a job. so be firm get in touch with who ever agreed to the terms tell them they have not been put in place and it affecting your health they will sort it you have the law on your side stand firm do not let her bully you out
    val
  • topgirl
    valval wrote:
    hi the chair you get check how long it rated for (how long you can use it in a day) they all have ratings you need one with good suport or you will get back problems. also it is against the law to discriminate against disabled people so you could sue them for her comments. but sure you would rather have a job. so be firm get in touch with who ever agreed to the terms tell them they have not been put in place and it affecting your health they will sort it you have the law on your side stand firm do not let her bully you out

Hey, Thanks...
    Dont worry...I wont be bullied out!!!.....but i've had ENOUGH :shock:
    Im of today...going to tackle her tomorrow...it wont be nice...but im not going anywhere!!!!
    Thanks guys for the support...it means alot...
    Kay
    xx
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    topgirl wrote:
    valval wrote:

Hey, Thanks...
    Dont worry...I wont be bullied out!!!.....but i've had ENOUGH :shock:
    Im of today...going to tackle her tomorrow...it wont be nice...but im not going anywhere!!!!
    Thanks guys for the support...it means alot...
    Kay
    xx
    keep strong bullies thats all they are x
  • kickyloo
    kickyloo Member Posts: 66
    Hi,
    Have you tried contacting Access to Work via the job centre. They can make an assessment of what reasonable adjustments can be implemented and they can also purchase the equipment (or help with costs). It might be beneficial to get them involved?? Just a thought.

It's a shame what's happened because that all sounded promising, but they need to actually MAKE the adjustments not just write them down!!! I would contact HR and it would be reasonable to delay your phased return until they have got the adjustments in place. Well done you for your strength through this.

Best wishes,
  • topgirl
    :D:D:D:D

Well folks.....
    Seems my friend( who is a Manager at another branch)was so digsusted by the way I was treated , rang our area Manager( who was present at the 'reasonable adjustments'....to tell him what had happened...He then rang my Manager( I had gone home by then)..
    Sooo....went in this morning(2nd shift)and I was dreadin it...
    All the staff gathered on the shop floor for the ' morning meeting'..and she appoligised to me and explained to the other team members that she had treated me badly on Mon... :shock:
    She then took me for coffee.....went with me to get my chair..and we sat down and went thro the list of adjustments together...
    She said that she hoped I would forgive her and said I had her total support... :shock:
    Just shows....A good old blasting sometimes does the trick....LOL
    :D
    xxx
  • topgirl
    delboy wrote:
    Keep on top of her, in a non sexual way of course, or she may revert to type i.e. uncaring boss.
    LOL...ha ha..I will...thanks...
    xx
  • cutieclaire
    cutieclaire Member Posts: 134
    OMG, where do managers get off. Oh sorry but this kind of thing makes me so angry. I would try and get some agvice from CAB and this is against the law and they are discriminatory.

As for you not being able to sit down during your shift that is also appaling and I would of just got an office chair out and sat!! The chair business, find out if OT can help in any way hun as they have provided me with a purching stool for cooking an ironing. See what they can offer.

Hope you have had a better day today and hope things will get sorted.
    xxxxxxxxxxx Thinking of you xxxxxxx

Love Claire xxxx
  • maria09
    topgirl wrote:
    :D:D:D:D

Well folks.....
    Seems my friend( who is a Manager at another branch)was so digsusted by the way I was treated , rang our area Manager( who was present at the 'reasonable adjustments'....to tell him what had happened...He then rang my Manager( I had gone home by then)..
    Sooo....went in this morning(2nd shift)and I was dreadin it...
    All the staff gathered on the shop floor for the ' morning meeting'..and she appoligised to me and explained to the other team members that she had treated me badly on Mon... :shock:
    She then took me for coffee.....went with me to get my chair..and we sat down and went thro the list of adjustments together...
    She said that she hoped I would forgive her and said I had her total support... :shock:
    Just shows....A good old blasting sometimes does the trick....LOL
    :D
    xxx
    Too true dont forgive her she shudnt have cased u so much stress stupid woman!!!!! x
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    I'm so glad to hear you've had a good resolution to this as I was so angry on your behalf when I read your post. It seems something has had a positive effect on your manager and they have had quite a turn around. I do hope it works out for you and they don't cause you any more stress.
    good luck
    rita :)
  • miss_l
    miss_l Member Posts: 138
    I'm so pleased it worked out for you on your second day, it just seems so unfair you had to go through that on the first!

I hope it continues to go well
    x
  • maria09
    I hope work is getting better for you keep us all posted x
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    As i was reading this i thought dont give them any time to get your adjustments they knew you were due back and should have had them there already.........however your friend Manager has sorted it and now your Manager has got the message.......seems you have to be a twerp to be a Manager!!!!!!!!!!!
  • topgirl
    oneday wrote:
    As i was reading this i thought dont give them any time to get your adjustments they knew you were due back and should have had them there already.........however your friend Manager has sorted it and now your Manager has got the message.......seems you have to be a twerp to be a Manager!!!!!!!!!!!
    I think ( and its a horrible thing to say)..that my Manager is scared to death now of doing anything to upset me...
    but saying that, shes ment to do a weekly review of how im coping and here we are 3 weeks in at not one review....its all noted tho , if I need it... :roll:
    I have actually found all the girls at work really supportive and enjoyed mixing again( although sad to say goodbye to Jeremy Kyle.. :shock: )...
    However Im due to start Methatrexate soon and am wondering what fun that will bring :?:

Love
    Kayxxx
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Hi Kay,
    knowledge is power especially when it comes to exercising rights under DDA and getting (demanding) the support and adaptations required to keep us in our jobs.

You are right to keep a record of what has been said especially as your manager is already not keeping to what was agreed.
    it's good to hear that your colleagues at work are so supportive and that you are enjoying being back at work too.

more power to your elbow Kay!
    irisx
  • topgirl
    dorcas wrote:
    Hi Kay,
    knowledge is power especially when it comes to exercising rights under DDA and getting (demanding) the support and adaptations required to keep us in our jobs.

You are right to keep a record of what has been said especially as your manager is already not keeping to what was agreed.
    it's good to hear that your colleagues at work are so supportive and that you are enjoying being back at work too.

irisx
    Thanks!...yes I seem to be turning into a human version of the DDA...push my button and i can give you a quote!..lol....
    I would prefer more power in my knee/foot( at present elbow fine..but i wont hold my breath!) :wink:
  • oneday
    topgirl wrote:
    oneday wrote:
    I think ( and its a horrible thing to say)..that my Manager is scared to death now of doing anything to upset me...
    but saying that, shes ment to do a weekly review of how im coping and here we are 3 weeks in at not one review....its all noted tho , if I need it... :roll:
    I have actually found all the girls at work really supportive and enjoyed mixing again( although sad to say goodbye to Jeremy Kyle.. :shock: )...
    However Im due to start Methatrexate soon and am wondering what fun that will bring :?:

Love
    Kayxxx

good outcome then.
  • oneday
    dorcas wrote:
    Hi Kay,

irisx

think you and i been through same rubbish!