Has anyone noticed?

moonseed
moonseed Member Posts: 289
edited 2. Feb 2010, 09:23 in Community Chit-chat archive
Good morning all,
Did you sleep well last night?
Did you have an argument with someone close?
Did you have any type of accident?
Are you feeling particularly depressed or just generally "down?"
If your answer to any of these questions is "Yes" it's because it's a sh...ty
full moon.

If anyone has any help in counteracting this problem I would love to know how you cope with it 'Cos I can't!!!
Steph

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Steph
    Woundered what was going on , It was one of thoes days yesterday, My OH was in a mood , useually my fault,(so says him)My grandkids that live with me were fighting with each other.....and I tried to clean the windows, and nearly broke my bloody neck :shock:
    How do you know these things Steph, do you study the moon , or have a book on it :?:
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Don't worry, Steph, the Moonspinners will soon be on duty again.....hang in there.

Odd though - I'm hardly at my best and hubby has terminal manflu, bless him.

Love
    Annie
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Steph,

I am so lucky the moon doesn't make any difference to me but I wanted to just leave you a ((((( ))))) and well it started to wain now again. Hang in there flower. Luv Cris x
  • moonseed
    Hello Barbara,
    You did have a rough one didn't you. I expect a lot of other people have too AND blamed it on their other half.

I, who should know better, did the same thing myself and had a whopping great row with the OH. and was up all night!

Each full moon is different. There is a "Quiet/Calm" one then, the next time it will be (like it is this time) Angry.

The best way to describe it is that it's like a womens ovaries. One month is no problem and the next IS.

To be telling how I know these things would be telling.

God Bless.
    Steph
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    We've got a funny neighbour who gets even stranger and aggressive during a full moon.

I was staring at it half the night, couldn't sleep. Gosh it was beautiful.

Joy
  • moonseed
    joyful164 wrote:
    We've got a funny neighbour who gets even stranger and aggressive during a full moon.

I was staring at it half the night, couldn't sleep. Gosh it was beautiful.

Joy

Hi Joy,
    Sounds like my OH!!
    It's really hard to deal with and can be very frightening indeed.
    Most people do get affected in some way, some a lot more so!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I TRY to say or do nothing and hope it wears itself out, It doesn't always work though.
    Steph
  • bobbid
    bobbid Member Posts: 85
    Hello Moonseed

This is a very interesting topic. In ancient times when people were more in tune with the natural world, the phenomenon of people behaving strangely at the time of the full moon was well known. These people were called lunatics from the Latin word luna meaning the moon.

People then also observed that a number of animals were similarly affected, including dogs. Does anyone have any experience of this with their pets?

Modern science attributes the phenomenon to the moon's magnetic field. On occasions when the full moon is especially close to earth there are exceptionally high tides. Presumably if the moon can have such a profound effect on the oceans, it can also have an effect on the susceptible areas of our brains and the brains of other animals.

Judging by Rehab's rants yesterday, he is one of these particularly susceptible people. I see he is much calmer today.

Does anyone else have thoughts about lunatics?

BobbiD
  • moonseed
    bobbid wrote:
    Hello Moonseed

This is a very interesting topic. In ancient times when people were more in tune with the natural world, the phenomenon of people behaving strangely at the time of the full moon was well known. These people were called lunatics from the Latin word luna meaning the moon.

People then also observed that a number of animals were similarly affected, including dogs. Does anyone have any experience of this with their pets?

Modern science attributes the phenomenon to the moon's magnetic field. On occasions when the full moon is especially close to earth there are exceptionally high tides. Presumably if the moon can have such a profound effect on the oceans, it can also have an effect on the susceptible areas of our brains and the brains of other animals.

Judging by Rehab's rants yesterday, he is one of these particularly susceptible people. I see he is much calmer today.

BobbiD

Yes, I Live with one.
    Anon
  • moonseed
    bobbid wrote:
    Hello Moonseed

BobbiD

Hi Bobbid,
    Yes, as you say, it's a very interesting subject and not enough recognition is given to it in my opinion.
    As you probably already know, farmers sewed their seeds and harvested their crops all according to the moons phases.
    I have an interesting question for you that hopefully you will be able to answer for me.
    My other half was born, lived and worked in South Africa and was involved in the silver mines there.
    Apparently sapplings were thrown into the molten ore at a specific time on a new moon. This assists the seperation process and enables 98/99% pure silver to be produced.
    Would you know why this is and what type of sapplings were used.

Sorry to lay this on you but thought you might just know the answer.
    Regards,
    Stephanie
  • barbara12
    Talking about lunatics, my mother worked in a lunatic asylum, in the 1930s, she used to tell us lots of stories, but the one that came up the most, was how hard it was to control people on a full moon.
    I didn't be always believe her, but now you have me woundering :roll:
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • moonseed
    barbara12 wrote:
    Talking about lunatics, my mother worked in a lunatic asylum, in the 1930s, she used to tell us lots of stories, but the one that came up the most, was how hard it was to control people on a full moon.
    I didn't be always believe her, but now you have me woundering :roll:
    Barbara x

Please don't wonder Barbara - the poor woman must have had nightmares on a full moon.
    I have had a terrible times with OH. I actually made a run for it twice and ended up in a womens "safe house". This was a few years ago now and he is not quite as bad anymore thank God.
    Regards
    Steph
  • barbara12
    Next time I might join you :wink: its really scary stuff, I am going to read up on this.
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • bobbid
    moonseed wrote:
    bobbid wrote:
    Hello Moonseed

BobbiD

Hi Bobbid,
    Yes, as you say, it's a very interesting subject and not enough recognition is given to it in my opinion.
    As you probably already know, farmers sewed their seeds and harvested their crops all according to the moons phases.
    I have an interesting question for you that hopefully you will be able to answer for me.
    My other half was born, lived and worked in South Africa and was involved in the silver mines there.
    Apparently sapplings were thrown into the molten ore at a specific time on a new moon. This assists the seperation process and enables 98/99% pure silver to be produced.

Regards,
    Stephanie

Hello Steph

I am just a fitness centre and health farm manager. Although I studied at Oxford it was not in Sciences at which I have always been hopeless. However, I will try to answer your question.

This is part of an article which I have found which seems to be about the link between traditional African magic and modern scientific methods.

"Metal smelting was widespread in Africa at the beginning of the C20th. A wide variety of technical procedures and associated magic was observed by missionaries and administrators. It appears that smelting in association with magic appears to be universal in sub-Saharan Africa.

For smelting to be successful, the smelters must be technically expert and a variety of supernatural forces must be propitiated. This takes the form of ceremonial and ritual and involves the application of SPECIAL MATERIALS or MEDICINES (my capitals). The combination of ritual and materials is regarded as magic."

So presumably the methods which you described would be concerning this application of special materials. I don't have enough knowledge to say whether there is any real scientific basis for this.

It is easy to see why in primitive societies processes such as metal ore smelting or glass production seemed to be magical. To see a man taking a pile of rocks or a heap of sand and then turning them into silver or glass must indeed have seemed magical.

I am sorry if this does not fully answer your query, but you really need an expert metallurgist for this.

BobbiD
  • bobbid
    Hi

Doesn't the word "menstruation" derive from the Greek for moon (or power)?

I remember when we used to to take our dogs to training classes - we could always tell when the moon was full. Even the best behaved dogs were strange and "skittish".

Lynn xxxx

Hello Lynn

Menstruation comes from the Latin word mensis which means "month". It is a reference to the monthly nature of the cycle. Interestingly ancient Roman teenagers called this "pestis" meaning "the curse", just as I and my friends did not so long ago.

BobbiD
  • moonseed
    bobbid wrote:
    moonseed wrote:
    bobbid wrote:
    Hello Moonseed

BobbiD

Hi Bobbid,

Regards,
    Stephanie

Hello Steph

I am just a fitness centre and health farm manager. Although I studied at Oxford it was not in Sciences at which I have always been hopeless. However, I will try to answer your question.

This is part of an article which I have found which seems to be about the link between traditional African magic and modern scientific methods.

"Metal smelting was widespread in Africa at the beginning of the C20th. A wide variety of technical procedures and associated magic was observed by missionaries and administrators. It appears that smelting in association with magic appears to be universal in sub-Saharan Africa.

For smelting to be successful, the smelters must be technically expert and a variety of supernatural forces must be propitiated. This takes the form of ceremonial and ritual and involves the application of SPECIAL MATERIALS or MEDICINES (my capitals). The combination of ritual and materials is regarded as magic."

So presumably the methods which you described would be concerning this application of special materials. I don't have enough knowledge to say whether there is any real scientific basis for this.

It is easy to see why in primitive societies processes such as metal ore smelting or glass production seemed to be magical. To see a man taking a pile of rocks or a heap of sand and then turning them into silver or glass must indeed have seemed magical.

I am sorry if this does not fully answer your query, but you really need an expert metallurgist for this.

BobbiD

Hi there Bobbid,
    Thank you again for such a lengthy and detailed reply to the question.
    Apparently metallurgists have been brought in to solve this mystery but have as yet, not been able to do so to date.
    My other half says they admit that it works but haven't figured out why yet.
    The mystery continues.
    Regards,
    Stephanie
  • jean123
    jean123 Member Posts: 642
    Were the saplings used green saplings by any chance? If so maybe it had something to do with oxidation.

Jean, who knows out about nowt, but is nosey
  • moonseed
    jean123 wrote:
    Were the saplings used green saplings by any chance? If so maybe it had something to do with oxidation.

Jean, who knows out about nowt, but is nosey

Hi Jean,

I am in the process of trying to ask him if the saplings were green or not.
    But it is difficult speaking to someone on all fours, with his **** in the air.
    (He's trying to push a cable through a hole in the skirting board for my new laptop).
    All I got was a muffled answer along the lines of "Well, they have to cut them down at a certain time too".
    When I get a chance to speak to his face. I will let you know properly OK.
    Steph

PS What I am worried about is the connection between the full moon,
    werwolf's and silver!!!!!!!
  • barbara12
    Oh Steph, thats the best laugh I have had in ages, excuse me while I go to the loo :lol::lol:
    Love
    Barbara
  • rosyred
    rosyred Member Posts: 150
    Hi everyone

I used to dread the full moons. But now i have a crysal ball its reflect and draws light from the moon...

No more bad days night here now... :D:D
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    I think the reason that I am so in tune with the moon and I feel stronger is because my birth sign Leo now comes into line with Capricorn and this is why I am feeling the way I do. I just love the full moon.

And isn't it interesting how we are getting lovely moonlit nights around here. Today, the sun is shining and we have a lovely wall to wall blue sky. If it were July now we would be having a heat wave.

When the moon will be on the wain, then the weather will change to being stormy and cloudy.

That's how I interprete it

Joy
  • moonseed
    Love your comments about the moon.
    It's so nice to speak to other people of the same mind.
    People more interested in nature and the best things in life that don't even cost a penny.
    I am sick and tired of everyone around me talking about money all the time. I know it's a necessity but surely not the be all and end all.
    They don't even look at plants, trees or the stars and moon anymore.
    Although I love my father, his only interest was money.
    My first husband was the same.
    This one too. He never stops thinking of way to make more money.
    Thanks for your thoughts.
    Steph x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Lovely thread this one!! Don't know how I mised it :!:

Steph.
    MONEY!!! it causes so much upset worry and agro.

Suppose we need it though??

The root of all evil eh?

Love

Toni x
  • moonseed
    frogmorton wrote:
    Lovely thread this one!! Don't know how I mised it :!:

Steph.
    MONEY!!! it causes so much upset worry and agro.

Suppose we need it though??

The root of all evil eh?

Love

Toni x

Sounds like you've had some nasty experiences too Toni.
    I'm in complete agreement.

Steph x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Steph
    see my comment on the school thread.... :shock:
    Love
    Toni x