pain whilst using the computer

bluebeard
bluebeard Member Posts: 260
edited 2. Feb 2010, 19:06 in Living with Arthritis archive
dp u use a laptop and sit in a chair with it

or do you have a proper computer , at a desk ?

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    got both but find easyer to use lap top as mouse hurts hand a bit . do not know about every one else
    val
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    i have both but tend to use my lappy now with a little table as its to heavy on my legs but do use a mouse
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • fester
    fester Member Posts: 98
    Have a desktop pc mainly for gaming (helps keep me sane :lol: ). However starting to have problems looking at keyboard due to AS in my neck, never learnt to touchtype i'm afraid.

Hopefully going to get a laptop sometime in the next few months for especially my wife who is going stir crazy and self so i can be more comfortable as deskchair is also no longer comfortable or suitable to my condition deteriorating.

Ain't life grand
    :wink:
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi,
    I find my laptop alot easier , I can make myself comfy , sitting in my chair with my legs up on a stool
    Hope you can get one and enjoy using it
    Good luck
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    I like my desktop better......prefer the keyboard.
    Peter {hubby} has a laptop which i use when I cant make it upstairs to mine and I detest it !!!!!

Love
    Hileena
  • bluebeard
    Ithink its using the computer 24/7 thats my problem really

its very easy when you feel quite isoalted . but it doesnt have make my back stiff

the old expert mackenzie says that sitting down , even in a good , healthy position , is not good and needs to be broken up regaularly with breaks
  • porrig
    porrig Member Posts: 25
    I work in an office and have to switch which hand I use the mouse with every week or so (sometimes more frequent) as my wrists are one of the worst affected parts due to my RA.

As well as the whale mouse [thanks for the tip] this product looks quite good as it seems to force you to hold your wrist and hand in a more ergonomic position. There's even a left handed version!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Evoluent-VMOUS3RLHY-VerticalMouse-Right-Handed/dp/B000UNWFL4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1265016115&sr=1-1
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    where i work we sell computer chairs so many people do not adjust there chairs to give suport if you can not feel it in your back while typing you do not have any suport different chairs have different rateing for how long it can be used in a day but you do need to get up and move about every hour even if it a walk to get a drink . but do move or you will do your back no good at all. and check you have back suport when sat .
    val
  • bluebeard
    porrig wrote:
    I work in an office and have to switch which hand I use the mouse with every week or so (sometimes more frequent) as my wrists are one of the worst affected parts due to my RA.

As well as the whale mouse [thanks for the tip] this product looks quite good as it seems to force you to hold your wrist and hand in a more ergonomic position. There's even a left handed version!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Evoluent-VMOUS3RLHY-VerticalMouse-Right-Handed/dp/B000UNWFL4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1265016115&sr=1-1

:D
  • bluebeard
    valval wrote:
    where i work we sell computer chairs so many people do not adjust there chairs to give suport if you can not feel it in your back while typing you do not have any suport different chairs have different rateing for how long it can be used in a day but you do need to get up and move about every hour even if it a walk to get a drink . but do move or you will do your back no good at all. and check you have back suport when sat .

can u suggest a type of chair that might help ?
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Using a laptop resting directly on your legs for long periods is not recommended. The undersides of laptops run hot and also have air holes to keep the insides cool. Resting it on your lap for a long time can inadvertently block the air holes and cause damage due to overheating and burn your legs. So, if you intend to use a laptop for long periods such as 1 hour+ then it should be used with some support under it, such as a small table or desk. If you did want to use your comfy chair then an overbed table would do the job, readily available from a well known online auction site.

I and others have had similar mouse problems and I use a Logitech marble mouse trackball and an ergonomic keyboard.

There is some free computer ergonomic information online at http://www.tifaq.org/articles/office-ergonomics.html which gives links to other articles such as Types of Keyboard, Guidelines for Laptop Users and other useful information. All a bit dry as it intended for office professionals, but readable for the help it contains.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • bluebeard
    thanks joseph
  • chile168
    chile168 Member Posts: 384
    Hi,

I use a laptop but that's more to do with the fact that I suffer with claustrophobia and don't like too many things around me that way I can just hide it in a cupboard lol.

I touch type but even so my hands really flare up. I also get a lot of back pain so have to keep logging off and taking a brake from computer. My eyes also hurt - guess Im just broken :(

Wonder how much are those things that you can talk into and it types it - don't know what it's called or where to get it but it sure would help :)

Eve
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    I think you can get touch pads for PC's and mice come in all sorts of sizes, some have big balls :shock: for easier handling. I don't like using my husband's lap top as it feels strange, but I think that is because I've always typed on an ordinary keyboard and the laptop feels too flat. I'd get used to it if I had too though...it opens up the world for me.
    Love Sue
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    chile168 wrote:
    I use a laptop

Wonder how much are those things that you can talk into and it types it - don't know what it's called or where to get it but it sure would help :) Eve

Speech Recognition (SR), is what you are looking for.

If you use a laptop then it may have a built in microphone, many do. If it has, then if you are running Vista or Win7 you may already have the software installed. Google "speech recognition" and look for your operating system. SR is not built in for WinXP and only available in early versions of MS Office. SR may not work with every program on your laptop and while a headset is better, you will need a quiet background to give accuracy.

There are some very good free programs available such as Tazti, http://www.tazti.com or the best is Dragon Naturally Speaking at about £60. Try the freebie first and see how you get on with it. These can be large programs to install, so make sure that you have enough disc space.

It is not very often an instant 'install and go'. They all need to be 'trained' to become attuned to your voice, which takes time, but worth the effort.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • bluebeard
    thanks people xx