Looks like it's the end of the road

janie68
janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
Hello everyone,

Well, I saw occy health yesterday, I have had RA for 15 years and even after reducing my hours, access to work assessments, equipment put in place for the past year I have been more sick then at work. We finally discussed ill health retirement. Anti-tnf not working and I am constantly in pain. Ill health retirement is hard to get on NHS, but even the nurse agreed that I would get it. I see my consultant on 25th feb, so will discuss it then although he has said before he will write report for it. Just wanted to share my woes with you as I need some support, hope you don't mind.

Hope you are not in too much pain everyone

take care

Janie

Comments

• maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    janie68 wrote:
    Hello everyone,

Well, I saw occy health yesterday, I have had RA for 15 years and even after reducing my hours, access to work assessments, equipment put in place for the past year I have been more sick then at work. We finally discussed ill health retirement. Anti-tnf not working and I am constantly in pain. Ill health retirement is hard to get on NHS, but even the nurse agreed that I would get it. I see my consultant on 25th feb, so will discuss it then although he has said before he will write report for it. Just wanted to share my woes with you as I need some support, hope you don't mind.

Hope you are not in too much pain everyone

take care

Janie
    Good luck i hope evrything goes well for you xx
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Janie,

I am sorry you have reached this bit, I was medically discharged from the NHS a long time ago now but do remember how it felt. I think you just have to do what is best for you, not financially but as a person. I don't know if they are forcing your hand, they may not do that anymore with all the law changes but you make sure you get the best deal for you. What ever that is I really wish you luck and well for me after the dust had settled it really did me a favour. Take care Cris
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Hi Janie

Sorry RA is unfamiliar territory to me but just wanted to call in and send a hug or two (((( )))). It must be hard to accept that you may have to give up work on medical grounds. I hope you get good advise, and that whatever you decide works well for you.
    take care
    Chris
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Janie I'm so sorry that it's come to this for you and I know you've been struggling. When all is said and done it may well turn out to be the best thing for you with regards to your health. At the end of the day, you are the one who has to deal with disease progression and pain and if not working makes your life a little easier then I say go for it if you possibly can. I'd get your union involved and make sure you get the best deal possible.

I've heard of people getting ill health retirement from their place of work but because they don't get much pension have tried to claim benifits. But then when they try they're not being able to claim benifits unless they look for alternative work. Someone even told me that even if I'm not fit enough to work as a nurse, I may well be fit enough to work in a call centre and therefore would have to go for interviews etc......
    I'm not sure how true all that is but it would be good for you perhaps to talk to someone in the know.
    Do let us know how you get on and try to hang in there. You've no doubt given a lot of yourself over the years and now it's time to look after you.
    bye for now
    rita
  • janie68
    janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
    Just wanted to say thank you all who posted on this thread. It means a lot to me and it is good to know that you are there and know how it feels to be put on the scrapheap. Wouldn't mind but I'm only 38!!

Janie :)
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Hi Janie!
    ......as others have said, do what is right for you! sounds as though you have given it your best shot and continuing to work when you are caught in a cycle of illness and pain isn't doing your health any good.

I'm just so sorry you are having to consider leaving work at your age, but if retirement on ill health is an option and will mean less stress (which in itself is bad for RA) then go for it!

hope you have good support from your union and can negotiate a fair package. Do check out the legal implications regarding accessing benefits too if you do take retirement on ill health. Hope you are getting DLA?

Good luck with your consultation on 26th! let us know how you get on. Irisx
  • snowball
    snowball Member Posts: 3,465
    Hi i'm new to this forum, i've had r/a for 5 years anti-tnf not working. I work in retail been off sick for just over 2 years going to see a oha in a couple of weeks to see if there is anything they can do for me to get me back to work.
    ((((hugs)))) n xxxxx to ya all