Growing veg

page35
page35 Member Posts: 1,081
edited 26. Feb 2010, 10:24 in Community Chit-chat archive
HI
Im thinking about growing some veg in big pots with my daughter this year, was thinking about carrots and radish as have grown them before and they dont need much work.
has anyone got any other ideas of what we can grow
it needs to be ok in pots
something we can eat
easy to grow
Any hints or tips welcome :D

Comments

• harleyd14
    harleyd14 Member Posts: 259
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    hi page..
    dont grow anything that needs pricking out, this involves bending and lifting.
    runner / french beans are good, straight into ground / pot then pop in poles when needed.
    sprouts are good too as they are tall and you dont need to bend when harvesting.
    good luck and enjoy the fruits of your labour in the summer. Sally xxxx :D
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    I put tomatoes in pots, courgettes and lettuces. You can get the 'Little Leaves' varieties and they grow all year. Forgotten what they are called but you can get the packets of seeds at the garden centre.
    Obviously I grow my herbs in big pots. It is also quite interestingto grow beetroot in your flower beds as you can do carrots. The leaves look pretty amongst the flowers. Unfortunately, I am unable to do very much at the moment and the bending down and even kneeling hurts a lot. With a biggish garden I tend to look round and it upsets methat I can't do so much. If I win the lottery I shall pay a gardener.

Joy
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Page

You could grow strawberries. Runner, beans, herbs, let the girls grow a sunflower if you have the room.

That will keep them amused as they grow quite quickley.

It all depends how much space you have.

You can grow goosebery's, cherry tomatoes there are lots you can do.

Trish x.
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Hi Trish.......how's you?

Page, for some colour you can grow chillies and ornamental gourds - they are very easy to grow in pots and children love making displays with them!

Annie
  • minky67
    minky67 Member Posts: 2,328
    Potatos can be grown in grow bags & anything that needs depth for the roots.
    Put the grow bag on its end instead of laying it flat, cut slots in the side & take the top off, & plant up with the potatoes in the slots & on top.Potatoes can also be grown in an old dustbin,layering them up, but i cant remeber exactly how you do it.
    you can put strawberries into grow bags too ,same just cut slots in the sides,you'll get loads.
    were doing this this year & a big tub for the runner beans,my dad grows his runners in an old water butt & he had loads last yr.

Strawberries & tomatoes can be grown in hanging baskets & as said the flower pots can grow both flowers & veg. carrots,garlic,radishes,lettuce,spring onions.etc.

good luck with the growing.
    luv debs
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    You can grow small stuff in window boxes such as radish lettice hurbs etc, or even hanging baskets, strawbrries are sometimes grown like that even salad plants, I have grow spuds in one of those big coloured buckets with handles you get at tack or pet supply shops, the trick is as the plant grows up you keep adding more soil, don't cover it fully only a inch of soil at a time so you leave a fair bit sticking out, this will increase your crop and guard against green potatoes which you can't eat.
    You can get outdoor verities of tomatoes chilli's etc, runner beans can be pot grown and trained up a climbing frame or wire up a wall and you can blanch and freze any surplus, in fact theres a hell of a lot you can grow this way.
    Good luck! :wink:
  • page35
    I knew you lot would know :wink:
    I need to grow in pots as i have rabbits and they will eat new plants. also our soil is very hard and my hands, arms, wrists :roll: are not very good so digging that is a no no.
    some very good suggestions and lettuce sounds good if it keeps growing, i love beetroot and my little girl loves strawberries so i may have to buy some more pots :lol:
    Thank you very much for all your replies
    will let you know what we plant :D
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Hi Page

If you do decide to grow runner beans, you do not need to have many, as you will get a good crop from then.

We do this and then blanch them so you have fresh runner beans at Christmas.

You can do that with quite a few plants,

Trish
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Oh Page,

If you do strawberries I will see you with cream as soon as you got them red :wink: Hows you? Bubbles and ((( ))) xx
  • page35
    Hi Trish, me and kids dont like beans, but might do them for OH, thanx for the suggestion :D

Cris if your going to bring some of that lovely clotted cream of yours im growing strawberries YUMMY.
    im ok, been strugling abit but my mood is better now even if the body aint :wink:
    how about you? and animals?
  • skezier
    Hi Page,

Kinda struggle here and there, think its sadly one of the symptoms eh? This lot are fine except for 2 lame sheep which hopefully will sort out cus got 2 to jab and double the spin isn't helping me but is them :wink:

See you with cream soon as they are red :wink: Bubbles and ((( )))'s xx
  • page35
    Hi Cris
    you should sell tickets to watch you play spin the sheep, id buy one :lol: do hope they come good though.
    Bubbles back for you xxxx
  • skezier
    You can have yours free Page :D It usually is quite interesting and can involve a bit of swearing and theta just them....... :lol::lol: Especially Stampy Feet who has been having lessons from spiders judging from how well she gos up walls :wink: xx
  • malc7747
    malc7747 Member Posts: 73
    Hi Page,

Grew potatoes in a huge pot last year and managed a few meals from them. I also grew tomatoes in growbags and put strawberries in between them, and grew lettuce in a large shallow tray and cut it as and when when we needed it.

I was going to buy potato kits which came with everything and my nephew suggest using IKEA bags and just filling them with compost and putting potatoes in them.

Last year I also grew cherry tomatoes in hanging baskets in my greenhouse but you can get outside tomatoes if you garden faces south.

Its almost time to get ready for the garden in about a couple of months and I can see my grass getting ready to grow again, the daffs are sprouting and the snowdrops already in flower.

Anyway good luck with the growing

Malc :)
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Sharon

was going to suggest runner beans myself - my home grown ones actually started the kids off eating them :D

get Craig to put you in some raised beds if he can - less bending down :)

Are you ok??

Love

Toni xx
  • page35
    Malc good idea about ikea bags ive got a few of them :D

Hi Toni, poor craig ive got a list of jobs i want him to do, i know what he'll say "buy the veg its easier" so then I'll get Ryan to help me :lol:

Thanks everyone :D
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Toni, poor craig ive got a list of jobs i want him to do, i know what he'll say "buy the veg its easier" so then I'll get Ryan to help me :lol:

]
    he he!!
    Poor Craig :wink:
    It is easier but they taste so much better if you grow them yourself...you know it would be nice if we did do a thread about easy things to grow and any tips others have wouldn't it coz I love it :)
    Toni xx
  • babette
    babette Member Posts: 128
    Hi Page

We bought some half whiskey barrels and used them to grow courgettes very successfully. We also planted some spuds which had grown eyes in the veg cupboard and got a nice crop of potatoes. They were parked at the front door for easy access and only really needed regular watering and the odd feed. Tomatoes grown well in pots too but need to be in a greenhouse if you live in the north like we do, but they're really thirsty and require quite a bit of attention. Beans are a nice easy crop to grow and you can put a tripod up over a big barrel for them to climb up. Best of luck with your veg growing and I wish you many tasty meals. Nothing beats the taste of newly dug up spuds or tomatoes still warm from the sun.... yummmy!!!

B x
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    i did well last year with potatoes in big pots also did runer beans anddrawf french beans , and leeks xx
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • page35
    Rehab please can you tell me what is chitting? i would like to grow pototoes and i dont know what i got to do to chit them now. :oops:
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    edited 25. Feb 2010, 14:54
    frogmorton wrote:
    Hi Sharon

get Craig to put you in some raised beds if he can - less bending down :)

Love

Toni xx

Has Sharon upset you Toni or are you just hoping she'll grow a010.gif

:lol::lol::lol:

Just a thought........ if you like peppers they grow well on a sunny windowsill and are very pretty into the bargain.

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    page35 wrote:
    Rehab please can you tell me what is chitting? i would like to grow pototoes and i dont know what i got to do to chit them now. :oops:

Page chitting is letting your seed spuds sprout just like they do when they have been sitting in a dark cupbord for to long, once they start their ready to plant, also remember you must keep earth over the spuds otherwise they go green as they grow and you can't eat them like this, once the plant is well established every now and then just put a bit of soil on around the plant as it grows.
  • page35
    Thanks Lynn, Mell and Rehab :D