Useless doctor syndrome :-)

skezier
skezier Member Posts: 11,333
Hi,

I really do suffer from this one so much and i am so tired of it actually..... Do you happen to know can I write to a particular doctor at the practise and ask if they would actually BE my doctor? Sorry I just got very angry about them :wink: I have toyed with the idea of picking one, not one I really don't ever want to see again) and actually asking them if they would actually se me and help me cus I got 5 known and one pending condition and well I won’t go see them cus I am actually scared to... Not a good situation eh? So would writing them be an answer or would it just annoy them more? You all take care up there. Cris

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Cris
    I can hear the frustration and many of us have been in a similar situation.
    The trouble with doctors is that they can make a lot of their own rules about how they run their practice. In some practices you can be registered with and ask to see a certain doctor, in others you have to see whoever is on.
    Try ringing the practice manager (or the receptionist if there isn't a manager) ask what the system is and if there is any way you can always see the same doctor.
    Good luck with this.
    Val
  • skezier
    Hi Val,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Its not so much seeing the same doctor as actually seeing any..... I was told not to bother the practice with any of my known or suspected conditions around 5 years ago, and I haven't but well for so many reasons I could do with seeing one...... :wink:

I just get scared of another 10 mins rant from someone who said far too much and its really time I sorted it out but I don't know how. I was so 'lost' when it happened I did what I always do and ran away but well I think one or two of my conditions are really growing teeth and biting again..... Oh I so wish there was anther doctors in this area :lol: Take care Cris who also wanders ....... Sheep shearing involves a lot of bending and my lumber is shot more now than ever and do you think some kind of support or brace could help with the bending and the fighting cus one likes her hair left on :roll:
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    hi chris hope you do not mind me posting but i think any doc telling you not to bother them with anything stupid how do they expect to keep up with how you r if they do not see you and how r u suposed to know what part of what you could have something different and not know it. is your practice on the web ours is and tells you a bit about each doc and we can see any doc we want to find one you feel you could talk to and make an apointment with them if you can reception will know then explain why you have not been to docs for a while they will understand and should give you a check up if it been so long since you have seen one your blood pressure will need checking. so good luck hope you find good doc you need one
    val
  • skezier
    valval wrote:
    hi chris hope you do not mind me posting but i think any doc telling you not to bother them with anything stupid how do they expect to keep up with how you r if they do not see you and how r u suposed to know what part of what you could have something different and not know it. is your practice on the web ours is and tells you a bit about each doc and we can see any doc we want to find one you feel you could talk to and make an apointment with them if you can reception will know then explain why you have not been to docs for a while they will understand and should give you a check up if it been so long since you have seen one your blood pressure will need checking. so good luck hope you find good doc you need one

Hi Val,

Unfortunately I am outside all the doctors areas..... though my old ones are extending theirs to 16.5 miles and I can't be more than that but it also says they are not taking on new patients. This lot well.... they get letters from the Rumo, the pain consultant, the eye dept and the ward where I have the drip and that’s it. I do need to see one but half the time I just end up being scared they are gong to go off on one again so I don't. The nearest I have been to one of those doctors is a phone conversation 2 x in as many years..... Its not good is it? Still...... thankfully I do have a decent Rumo but not all my conditions come under him. Really do have to get it sorted eh?! Luv Cris x
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Cris

Wish we could get you up here to my doctors and the hospital.

The pain clinic is lovely, they are helpful and do a lot for you.

It is a very big hospital, they have patients come from all over the world.

They are known as one of the leading liver transplants.

It specializes in lots of difficult patients to treat, and do all they can.

You would be seeing top doctors, maybe they could do more for you Cris.

I wish you lived nearer.
  • skezier
    Oh Trish I would never leave Cornwall :wink: Rubbish health care, rubbish social care, rubbish weather half the time..... but.... she's home and in my blood :wink: Hey race you back to the humbugs and shortbread, should we leave some here for the help line folk? xx
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Dear Cris

I think you should bite the bullet. pick up the phone or go to your nearest surgery and make an appointment to see the gp you were registered with, if he is still there or name one if you know of one you would like to see. There have probably been changes in the surgery and doctors in 5 years. The surgery cannot totally bann you and refuse to register you with a gp. We are all entitled to be registered with a gp.

Cris, you do so many brave and courageous things every day, asking to see a gp is not difficult by comparison. Keep calm though. Take deep breaths, try not get agitated. There is no reason to become flustered or cross, you are only asking to see a gp.

You can do it, :)

Love
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • helpline_team
    Well Cris I think Elna just about summed it up. Considering all you contend with 'You can do this' and as Elna rightly said there have probably been some changes in the last 5 years so just go for it!

And you know that if you need to to talk it through etc we are here.

Best wishes

simona

Ps Any shortbread left? :wink:
  • skezier
    Hi Elna,

Oh thankfully the one I was registered with went :D They do still use him as a locum though so you got to be careful :roll: I really do have to ...... Hey maybe I can use my over active visualisation the right way round for them ........ It works for rats :lol::lol: You take care and hope your knees going ok? Cris x

Hi Simona,

Thanks again and your right compared to half of my normal day the doctors are nothing :lol::lol: I must just do it, stop thinking about it and ring without excepting they will ring me back and make them see me...... Its not that hard is it and the ranting one has left (I like to think she was sacked :wink: ) You take care up there and have left you a Val's cafe take-a-way but Trish and I did yonp a few shortbreads :oops: There’s is plenty though :D Cris x
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Hi Cris

I'm still watching this one. Do hope you can find the courage to make that call and get an appointment. I know it's a scarey thought for you, but as they say 'feel the fear and do it anyway' At least then you can cross that one of the list of worries. Do bite the bullet please. ((( )))
    take care, just off to the cafe with more supplies of humbugs.
    Chris xx
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Oh Cris, I just had to come in on this one - guess what has happened to me?
    I saw a local doctor 10 years ago when my problems first started; after a couple of appointments being fobbed off with painkillers and offered anti-depressants, he dismissed me as being neurotic and hysterical.
    Since then I have been diagnosed with 6 completely separate medical conditions by other doctors and consultants and after many tests etc confirming same..........because of my foot probs have been pushing for referral to foot doctor in this area......got the appointment through today for next Friday........guess who it is? ARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGG!
    I'm going, though - I'm older and wiser now and if he starts on me again he will get as good as he gives if not better!

Love
    Annie
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    chris just imagin they in there undies then they will not intimidate you pink with frills on will give you a smile lol
    val
  • skezier
    valval wrote:
    chris just imagin they in there undies then they will not intimidate you pink with frills on will give you a smile lol
    Hi Chris,

I will and if I don't you can all kick me..... Just watch the very sore bits please :wink: xx

Hi Annie,

Oh I couldn't see the one who ranted at me so well done and hopefully he has got better and will feel silly he got it so wrong and be nice to you. If not the Employers said they will go and get him for you..... and he wouldn't want that :wink: xx

Hi Val,

That's an idea..... better than me using the rat one.... I got enough trouble with imaginary rats in every box I am abut to open with out having imaginary doctors in them as well :lol::lol: xx

Right I shall stop lowering the tone of this forum as well now....... :oops:
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    When I had a small issue with my GP practice I wrote to the practice manager to ask what the correct procedure was for my particular problem, and I got a phone call back in which we were able to clear up any misunderstandings and come to an arrangement that would work for us all.

Maybe if you still have problems then you could do that too? Sorry can't add anything else to Elna & the helplines team - they said it all first! :wink:
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Hi Cris, sounds like you've got a really bad practice. I can't believe they told you not to bother them, that is what there are there for! You could always contact the PCT (Primary Care Trust) and complain and they can allocate you a doctor if you ask and there is nothing anyone can do about it. You could write to the practice manager at the surgery stating what want, what your problems are and asking them how they propose to treat you. Bad doctor's don't like letters as it leaves a paper trail. A good one won't mind at all.

I put up with a bad practice for years and am now in a very good one. I had to wait until they changed their boundaries but it was worth the wait!
    Sal
  • skezier
    Hi Wonky and Sally,

thanks both of you and Sally that was one of the nicer things she said.... I was also told they'd waisted enough money on me..... Well I'm not curable eh? :wink:

Sally when it first happened I did ring the PCT but they said they hadn't actually refused to see me...... Thin line that one but.....

I will phone them Monday and get an appointment.... if I don't please kick me! If they get nasty then yep I shall do a letter and Sally I so hope for boundaries to be relaxed.... easier than moving eh :lol::lol: You both take care and thanks again. Cris x
  • chris7
    Cris

This is awful, they shouldn't have been able to be so cruel to you in so many different ways. I'm horrified :shock: Everyone has a right to fair treatment from a GP regardless of their problems. This is gross negligence!!

I understand an individual GP can have an off day, I have come away in tears when it was made clear I was being neurotic. I wasn't. When I went back the and saw the same doctor he was a different person having a better day. Cris please do try and go and say just how much you are struggling. If you really can't face it, could you ask to see someone at outpatients at your nearest hossie?

Sorry I'm rambling here, but feel so bad that you have been treated so badly. Love and buckets of energy for your busy weekend.
    I'll be thinking of you
    Chris xx
  • skezier
    Hi Chris,

Flower it was 5 years or so ago so except for the fear I'm ok with it now........I just don't see them! She has gone, another one who was so rude every time has also gone now they just have too many patients, not enough time or doctors and they just don't want to know so ...... I will ring em cus you know what i ain't feeling so good :roll: Besides they might have my CT results and I would quite like to know..... I see the rumo and the pain clinic quite often (both know about the 'lovely' doctors and I also am quite well monitored via the drip and thats every 4 months. I see the nurse for bloods and tis only the gp's I have a problem with :wink: I'm thinking I might just make a sign cus they got 'we will not tolerate abuse' ones all over the place so i thought mine could say'..... and nor will I!' :lol::lol: I will ring em Monday......Promise...... but I might have my fingers crossed. Luv Cris who really does have to just grow a back bone :oops: xx
  • helpline_team
    Hi Cris
    Just to say good luck with the appointment. Plan it carefully, think about what you want to say and how you want to describe how you're feeling. Don't be intimidated, you have a right to ask for the care you need. It's OK to ask them politely not to shout or be rude, but most of all - keep your cool.
    Take care
    Val
  • skezier
    Hi Val,

Thanks for the kick :wink: I rang them...... Was told the duty doctor would ring..... he has just done so..... Over the phone he tells me I have an ulcer and is changing the useless omeprazole for something a bit better (he didn't say useless but I don't rate them and never have)...... I love these over the phone diagnosis and its the best I ever seem to get. I have 2 or pos 3 ulcers and this just doesn't feel like them....... See i don't call them useless for nothing :wink::lol::lol:

Hey I never lose it with them, I go into hide mode the min I walk through the door..... I am scared of them but this time I did think I would have liked to have seen someone......... Ah well he did say if I am still having pain and discomfort in two weeks time....... The other things well he wanted to just deal with one...... :roll:

You all stay warm and take care and as ever thanks for you support and help :D Cris
  • chris7
    Cris

Well done on making that phone call. I'm sorry it didn't lead to an appointment though, so I may well be on your case on another day about that!!.
    You did good to make the approach Cris, I know it was hard for you. Do hope the new meds help when you get them. Have been thinking of you today and am sending buckets of energy and fortitude along with the hugs (((( ))))

Chris xx
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Cris

I'm so glad that you rang them. You did it Cris

Perhaps the doctor thought that before anything else they should work on the ulcer, first.

Perhaps they can give you different meds, but must see to the ulcer first otherwise you might get worse and get complications which you really don't need.

I wish I could do something for you. I got a large CDM if you would like some???

Trish xxxx((((()))))
  • skezier
    Hi Helpline Folk,

Sorry I's back again....... I 'may' have to come off Diclo's and well after 10 days with out them my bones, specifically the back and hips, are so bad I feel like, well that bit doesn't matter but they are impacting on my movement and really slowing me down and hurting and stopping me from sleeping and what I was wondering was what else is as good for someone who finds diclo's work so well?

The doctor I spoke to remembered the consultant's letter that he was in control of my pain relief but as ever the diclo's are in the frame for the stomach pain..... I actually have an opinion on that to do with give a decent inhibitor and the diclo's are fine but I do know they may not be.....

I don't kow if you can help but to give them up I need something to do the same job........ Sorry I will go away now, grabbing Trish's CDM as I leave but might leave you a bit :wink: Take care Cris
  • skezier
    Hi Lynn,

Well eating sawdust for me would be better than omeprazole :roll: :lol::lol: I don't know about those ones..... I need a decent inhibitor and thankfully the uslesses have let me have 2 weeks supply of Zoton....... Well if they are not on repeat..... Are these ones your on about antiflams as well? Honestly Lynn I got 2" swelling across my lumber and am really hurting but already the pain in my stomach is calming down and I am looking fondly at the diclo's and reckon another week and I will be back on em! I see the rumo in may and any advise on what does the same job as diclo's will be welcomed.......You ok there? ((( ))) Cris xx
  • helpline_team
    Hi Cris
    If you have a stomach ulcer it might be that any of the anti-inflammatories are out for you. If you feel you really need to take one there are other stomach protectors - misoprostol (Cytotec) and lansoprazole (Zoton). There is also Arthrotec - combined Diclofenac & Misoprostol.
    There is a newer type of anti-inflammatory, the Cox-2 inhibitors such as Celebrex & Arcoxia,which are designed to be easier on the stomach but for someone with an ulcer ................
    Info on these drugs is in our booklet Drugs & Complementary Therapies.
    How do you manage on codeine or something like Tramedol, or a TENS machine? When were you last seen in the Pain Clinic? I'm kinda assuming you've been through most things. There are long acting pain patches called Butrans but they are a bit heavy and can make you a bit spaced out - and I know the sheep need attention!
    I don't know if I've come up with anything that you can discuss with your GP?
    Save us some CDM.
    Take care
    Val