Your favoutite thread of all time?

bobbid
bobbid Member Posts: 85
edited 4. Mar 2010, 20:06 in Community Chit-chat archive
I have been away for a week and it is amazing to see how many new threads and how many postings have been made in that time, not to mention new people joining the site.

I see the Cafe has passed 100,000 viewing as well, quite an achievement.

When I first joined I started to read the past threads but they just went on for ever and so I gave up because it was like trying to read the Encyclopedia Britannica. I wonder if this challenge will resurrect some of this past history.

So here is a question for everyone - What has been your favoutite thread of all time and why?

BobbiD

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    rehabs bunker and the cruise loved both
    val
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Rehabs thread about Afghanistan, all he posted was Afghanistan out out out and off I went!.
    Next thing I knew debrarose took me to task and I went off like a saturn 5 rocket spouting about 30 years worth of usless info about 20'the century US geo-politics in one sitting.
    By god did I vent me spleen that day, oddly deb's hasn't been back on here for ages now,I hope our spat didn't end here posting on here.
    If your reading this debrarose please comeback I'm sorry I went all girly that day I didn't mean to upset you, I'd had a bad day and me OA was hurting. :oops: :wink:
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    valval wrote:

Agreed, Val - I was hurting all over and simultaneously rolling about on the floor in hysterics with both of those.......

Annie
  • valval
    annie_mial wrote:
    valval wrote:

Agreed, Val - I was hurting all over and simultaneously rolling about on the floor in hysterics with both of those.......

Annie
    hurting other places with trishers brolly lol
    val
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    This was my favourite thread. It was a Rehab classic, and I was the heroine, which was very amusing for me. It went on for several parts, but this was the first.

A Ripping Yarn

PostPost subject: Posted: 19 Jul 2009 05:00
    Scene 1 A beautiful sunny day..southern England 1940… We see a lone Spitfire….

Flight Lieutenant Joan Lawson,

known to her friends as Biggles, executes a perfect victory roll over RAF Stansted rolls her Spitfire right side up, eases back the throttle and banks steeply to port. The voice of Air Traffic Controller Deb Debatat crackles in her headphones, 'Welcome back Old Chap, you're cleared for Number Two runway.' Glancing down at the Station windsock, Joan drops smoothly to land and taxis smartly over to the maintenance hangar (somewhat similar to a Fat Kevs garden shed but bigger) where her faithful mechanic Leading Aircraftperson Page is eagerly waiting for her. Joan switches off her engine and pushes back the cockpit canopy, neatly adjusting its chintz curtains at the same time. 'Wotcha Page me old ham sandwich,' Joan quips in the vernacular, ' How's that oldman of yours then?' LAC Page grins widely, 'Great, Boss ' she says, 'Never better, still good between the sheets. But it's good to see you again and no mistake, Lord love yer, me old Pot Noodle '
    At this point we would ask the reader to imagine the above to be spoken with a Dick Van **** cockney accent and applaud the effort put in by Page in mastering it...(A short burst of applause from that bloke in the 3rd row, he has a season ticket so he gets in to all the shows)

It is 1940 and Britain is facing up to its sternest challenge. After some months instructing new pilots at the Central School of Honourable Behaviour, Flight Lieutenant Joan Lawson is operational once again at her old station RAF Stansted. Off and on, Joan has been there ever since World War One when she was a Royal Flying Corps Pilot Officer testing Sopwith Camels: she's still the youngest, bravest, most decorated and least promoted officer in the service though. (thanks for the cheque Joan)

LAC Page has been with Joan right through her flying career. She's nearly 82 now but cheerful as ever. Her pension (should she ever take it) will be bigger than the national debt. At her age, Joan allows her a few familiarities, as you might have noticed.

Joan is tempted to go straight to the Mess for a pint or two of Old Felonious - the Strongest Beer North of Wigan, but duty comes first as always. Instead, she reports to the station's CO, Wing Commander Cris 'Shortfall'* Skezier. They are old friends; they exchange greetings and get straight down to business. 'It's bad, Joan' says Cris, 'We're being beaten in the skies. We lost fifteen aircraft and a shedful of luggage from Terminal 5 yesterday and the average life expectancy of of a new pilot is down to three quarters of an hour.' Joan grimaces, she had realised that things were pretty bad but not this bad. 'It's as well I'm here then,' she says firmly, ' I expect you'll want me to save the day.' (I really love that line! It always reminds me of Gordon Brown during question time)

'England expects, Joan,' says Cris frowning gravely, ' I've got one pleasant surprise for you though. Your old team is here.'

* How Cris 'Shortfall' Skezier got her nickname is another story. Suffice it to say, she once crash landed a Wellington bomber into the canteen of a young mans boarding school and was there for some weeks.

End of Scene 1
    Now available in hardback from the foyer

In scene 2 Joan meets up with some chums (Exciting eh?) so you have time to nip out and put the kettle on.
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • joanlawson
    valval wrote:

Which cruise, Val :?: Was it the first one ( the World Cruise ) :?: That kept me really busy because I had to keep looking up all the places we visited. It was fun though :!:
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Bobbi,

Oh the cafe thread with out any doubt for me. Cus its friendly and helps to just meet and chat even if its rubbish I write :wink: Take care Cris
  • annie_mial
    I loved your WW2 flying ace one, Joan, that was here when I first started looking at the forum.........I well remember your lucky tea-strainer.......not to mention a few other things!

That was the one which made me so long to join in.......it took me a long time to pluck up the courage to do so!

Annie
  • joanlawson
    mellman01 wrote:
    Rehabs thread about Afghanistan, all he posted was Afghanistan out out out and off I went!.
    Next thing I knew debrarose took me to task and I went off like a saturn 5 rocket spouting about 30 years worth of usless info about 20'the century US geo-politics in one sitting.
    By god did I vent me spleen that day, oddly deb's hasn't been back on here for ages now,I hope our spat didn't end here posting on here.
    If your reading this debrarose please comeback I'm sorry I went all girly that day I didn't mean to upset you, I'd had a bad day and me OA was hurting. :oops: :wink:

I remember that one too, Mell. You didn't half go on :!: :shock:

I think you've got her name wrong though. Wasn't it Debbierose :?:
  • joanlawson
    annie_mial wrote:
    I loved your WW2 flying ace one, Joan, that was here when I first started looking at the forum.........I well remember your lucky tea-strainer.......not to mention a few other things!

That was the one which made me so long to join in.......it took me a long time to pluck up the courage to do so!

Annie

Hi Annie

I liked the chintz curtains in the Spitfire and the lucky tea-strainer. I'm so glad that you did pluck up the courage to join.
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Hi Bobbi

I don't think I saw the spitfire one, it does sound fun but wasn't here then. Might have to back track and have a peek. Rehabs stories are always so funny :lol:

For me the 2 cruises were fun, never knowing where we would end up next, and was nice to have company New Years Eve.

I guess my favs would be The cafe and Ron's Have a Laugh. I always make time to visit them most days especially on the tough ones. They always guarantee you a smile :D

Chris :wink:
  • joanlawson
    Hi Chris

I'm glad that you enjoyed the two cruises. So did I. Maybe the SkylARC will sail again one day.

I also enjoyed the Experiment in Creative Writing because some people were so inventive with words ( ichabod in particular ) Perhaps I will start another story and see where it ends up :!:
  • valval
    think this tread going to be one of out favs because it allowing us to remember long forgotten ones.
    val
  • ninakang
    ninakang Member Posts: 1,367
    I like the ones by NinaKang - relevant subject material, interesting and informative ;-)

Nx

PS - And anything Rehab, Mel or Rondetto post
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    I remember that one too, Mell. You didn't half go on

I think you've got her name wrong though. Wasn't it Debbierose

Sorry Joan!,what was it????
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    ThREADS

Mmm...

Of course rehabs rants are worth a read,but

for me it's things like the cafe
    coz you can pop in and out and Ron's jokes for the same reason - doesn't matter if you've been awol for a while :wink:
    Toni x
  • ninakang
    ninakang Member Posts: 1,367
    Yeah, I'm a bit intrigued about the people who just moan too? Who are they, Rehab?

Nx
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    I love them all.Certain posters always make me laugh and they know who they are cos I tell them!

Actually Barbaras Lol post had me in stitches.....she thought lol meant lots of love and put it on all her texts even when her friends dog died.
    I showed that to the rest of the family and they laughed so much we all fell about(POSL).I even posted it to my daughters.Sorry Barbara I am not taking the mick as it was a classic mistake and was lovely!
    Elizabeth x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    My favorite #Threads were The Bunker babes and the spud gun fights.

There was a thread one night when I think it was Wonky had Weevals in her flour

The best one was the cruise The first one.

That was so funny. Chris and myself were on the boat at some point and we were alone not knowing if they had called abandon shipand We both got drunk.

Then the camel riding and being in Egypt, that was funny.

Also Egypt when we got stuck in a pyramid. Poor Val jumping on my wheelchair. Then we all wrote a bit and someone else did another bit.

We will have to do another, organise it more but that was the funniest of all.

Trish xx
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    rehab44 wrote:
    If some one wakes up Joan maybe we could have a winter Cruise to somewhere warm, I might even be persuaded to dryclean the Captains uniform.. some one threw up on during the last trip!

can we please have a coach trip or go by train i will never make a sailor :cry::lol::mrgreen:
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • trisher
    Joan

We enjoyed the cruise, the first one, where we had camel riding and the Pyramids and getting caught in there. The when I made Val get stuck on my brolly.

What about coach trips to the coast, we could have a lot of fun with that.

The coaches are called the Scylark's.

Would you not arrange the trips out for us?

Trish xxx
  • joanlawson
    rehab44 wrote:
    If some one wakes up Joan maybe we could have a winter Cruise to somewhere warm, I might even be persuaded to dryclean the Captains uniform.. some one threw up on during the last trip!

Hi Captain Rehab

I'm now wide awake, and a winter cruise sounds just what the doctor ordered. Get that uniform cleaned, because the SkylARC is sailing again any time now :!:
  • trisher
    Excuse me

Errr mmmm am I aloud to come?

Trisher xxx
  • annie_mial
    ........and me!

Annie