DLA when working?

margie1
margie1 Member Posts: 57
Hi

Could anyone tell me if you can claim DLA or apply for a blue badge when you are working please. How bad do you have to be to be considered as disabled? My employer knows I have arthritis due to my sicknote, will i be seen as having a disability by my employer? I work in a college with students who have a learning/physical disability.
I have been off work for 2 weeks now since being diagnosed and I am trying to find information on arthritis in my spine etc I am nervous of going back to work as i dont know if i will manage to carry on doing fulltime hours and how often will i be in pain etc. sorry if I sound boring.
I am going to try to carry on as usual and hopefully I will be ok. I would really appreciate any information anyone can give me.
Thank you and take care
marg

Thank you

Comments

• topgirl
    topgirl Member Posts: 290
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    DLA can be claimed whether you work or not...
    Its a massive form....try not to be put off( I did mine a bit at a time) and post on here if you need help....
    If you google DLA all the info you need is on the goverment website...
    If you have now been diagnoised with arthritis im pretty sure you will be covered under the DDA( disability descrimination act)...again you can google this and there is lots of info.....therefore your place of work have to make ' reasonable adjustments' to help you stay in work...this includes cutting your hours...
    Blue Badges are issued by your local council and I think they may have different procedures in different areas....
    I applied and they contacted my GP for details of my RA....and I got it within a couple of weeks....
    I hope this has been usefull....I havent given you too much detail as basically different websites will give you all the info you need...
    I have got a meeting on Monday to discuss how I can stay in work as I too am having problems...good luck...Kay...x
  • margie1
    margie1 Member Posts: 57
    Hi Kay

Thank you so much for your reply, I am grateful for the information and I will be googling tomorrow. I will certainly be back on here if I need any more information so thanks again and I wish you luck with your job.

take care marg
  • annebr
    annebr Member Posts: 730
    Hi Marg,

DLA is non mean tested so you should in theory still be able to claim while working. There are numerous threads on this site about the problems that people have encountered trying to claim DLA & ESA.

If you are completing the form yourself fill it in as if it is your worse day with pain. Or if you can go to CAB or one of the other agencies who should be able to help you complete.

If you do claim and are refused appeal as not many people are awarded first time.

Anne
  • claire1986
    claire1986 Member Posts: 23
    Hey guys i was gonna look into applying for it too but also wasnt sure if working full time i would qualify, i just keep putting it off! Suppose anythings worth a try. Ive been off work for 6 months now, work in a nursery with children aged 0-5 years! Its madness how bably a disease lyk arthritis can stop you doing so many things!!!
  • cutieclaire
    cutieclaire Member Posts: 134
    I think I am going to apply but hey I dont see myself getting it!!! I think my emplyer with have a few issues with me applying!!!

Well who knows but will try as my medication is costing a bomb.
    xxxxx
  • topgirl
    topgirl Member Posts: 290
    csouthwood wrote:
    I think I am going to apply but hey I dont see myself getting it!!! I think my emplyer with have a few issues with me applying!!!

Well who knows but will try as my medication is costing a bomb.
    xxxxx

Apply!!!!!
    they dont contact your employer and you dont put it on the form...
    At present your off work because your disability is stopping you from doing your job....
    If you get better then you can stop the DLA...
    xxx