walking boot /Brace/Cast ?

bluebeard
bluebeard Member Posts: 260
edited 22. Feb 2010, 15:47 in Living with Arthritis archive
anyone tried one of these

to completely take weight and pressure off foot and ankle ?

supposed to reduce pain , essentially giving the affected area a rest ?

my pains are in foot and ankle , so thinking of giving one a try as whenever I walk , the pain gets worse

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    sorry have not but wanted to get this back to top where will be seen
    val
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi B B,

I haven't but they sound like a good idea..... if you get them could you let us now i they work? I am really only 'kinda' comfortable now a days in full protected work boots or Hunters but the former are heavy and clunking and don' do deep mud...... the latter are very thin soled ones (though they do make safety souls but beyond my range at the mo). Good luck and please let us know..... Cris x
  • bluebeard
    they are the ones they give to people with a broken foot etc
  • skezier
    Hi B B

Do you mean the black hard sandal type things? Wore them for a while when I had my feet re-done..... They do the job but I think plaster does it better :wink: Cris
  • bluebeard
    skezier wrote:
    Hi B B

Do you mean the black hard sandal type things? Wore them for a while when I had my feet re-done..... They do the job but I think plaster does it better :wink: Cris

yes, I think they call them operating shoes ?

they are all soft inside and when you walk you can put your foot down without being in pain ?
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Hi Bluebeard

No I haven't heard of these braces but it wouldn't hurt to try it out!
    Anything to help with pain as far as I'm concerned is a bonus!!!

Since my TKR I've noticed that my ankles/heels hurt - I think it's because I've had to lie flat on my back. When I'm seated I find putting a cushion under my feet relieves a lot of pressure.

Someone on the site will come back with something soon.

In the meantime take care.

Sharmaine
    bluebeard wrote:
    anyone tried one of these

to completely take weight and pressure off foot and ankle ?

supposed to reduce pain , essentially giving the affected area a rest ?

my pains are in foot and ankle , so thinking of giving one a try as whenever I walk , the pain gets worse
  • skezier
    Hi B B,

When they re-did my feet they used a lot of pins and plates and they broke some bits and reset others etc and I don't heal too well so they said as it was pinned and plated they could use these extremely unbending hard soled sandals that sound like what you are talking about? When they first did my feet they were plastered but they use plaster much less now a days. For me the plaster was better cus it didn't come off at night and was actually more supportive as well.... But it meant regular changes both cus I cracked a couple and they needed to keep an eye on the wounds as well.

I have to say I was ok with the shoes and since it did become infected it was as well I wasn't in plaster. They are lined a bit cut I was bandaged fairly heavily so that acted as padding. Yo can't bend them and they are easier to walk in than the old plasters used to be BUT deep down if I were given a choice I would go for plaster to be honest, its for e a better support and actually warmer :wink:

The shoes work though and in my case they helped cus the infection was dealt with quickly and in plaster it might not have been....... Are you having something done to your feet then? Oh and plaster or shoes the discomfort is about the same. Cris x
  • bluebeard
    hi

experts ( lol ) seem to think that my condition is putting strain on the tendons and nerves of ankle and feet

so rather than operate , which they only do if they have to down here ( cardiff) they say I might want to try out a shoe or cast that allows me to move about but gives the ankle and feet some rest and lessens pressure on feet for awhile
  • skezier
    Hi B B,

They say an operated ankle is never as strong...... well some of them do.... I broke mine, had it plated and its stronger than the one that wasn't but that might have happened anyway eh? The shoes I had with the rebuild helped the feet but I wonder if they have ones that come further up your leg for the ankle ones cus I don't quite see how the ones I had could help the ankle exactly..... Have you tried physio etc to build up strength in the ankle tendons as long as it doesn't cause pain mind. Cris x
  • bluebeard
    I have tried physio , had injections and ice every day and massage the area, but its still really sore and stiff