purple dry knuckles

bailey27
bailey27 Member Posts: 689
edited 24. Feb 2010, 14:12 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
Last few days my 2 big knuckles on my hands have swollen, gone really despite applying plenty of hand cream, and they have also gone really dar and grey looking. The skin looks grey and dry with purple underneath.
Any ideas?
The skin on my knuckles feel like leather

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Bailey,

I wonder if its circulatory maybe? Mine do that colour and did I read you say you have Raynaud's? I think its best to get it checked out though cus it be bruising and its would be best if you ran it past someone. Hope it soon sorts out though. Luv Cris x
  • bailey27
    bailey27 Member Posts: 689
    Yes I have raynauds but this looks different. When then raynauds flares up it only usually effects my toes and I get purple lumps / blisters on my toes.
    This is just purple underneath and pale on top, the best way I can describe it is that it looks very much like the knuckle part of a raw chicken drumstick. Very pale on top and purpley bits showing through, when I clench my fist they look very dark.
  • caprica
    caprica Member Posts: 195
    hmm when a couple of my fingers swelled up, the knuckles looked bruised and purple under the skin, especially when i was out in the cold. but yeah it was a deep dark purple, not nice. looked like i'd punched something. the doctor said it was just the inflammation. once they calmed down it faded and I applied arnica cream to help them heal. much better now.
  • babette
    babette Member Posts: 128
    bailey27 wrote:
    Hi
    Last few days my 2 big knuckles on my hands have swollen, gone really despite applying plenty of hand cream, and they have also gone really dar and grey looking. The skin looks grey and dry with purple underneath.
    Any ideas?

Hi Bailey

Could it be chillblains (v old fashioned I know), my son gets them and he has quite severe raynauds disease. They arrive whenever there is a drop in the temperature, also like most teenagers he has been morphed with a sloth so doesn't move around enough. If you type chillblains into google images you'll get a pic, so you can compare with your own.

B x
  • skezier
    Hey B you calling me old fashioned :wink::lol::lol: You could be right though :wink::lol: xx

Hi Bailey,

I get huge problems with chilblains and that would tie in with your raynaud's and its poss B is right here....... The grey isn't though in my ones case, mine are really bad chilblains and more like mild frost bite....... I don't know what the ordinary ones look like but they are said to itch? The dry skin my toes certainly do...... I still think its worth getting it checked out but if its chilblains snow fire dos help... so does the rubs you uses like deep heat as they improve the circulation but be careful of broken skin. I honestly do think you could do with getting them looked at though. Cris x
  • babette
    skezier wrote:
    Hey B you calling me old fashioned :wink::lol::lol: You could be right though :wink::lol: xx

Hi Cris

Ooops sorry!!! :oops: didn't mean to imply that you were old fashioned; just meant that chillblains seemed to be an affliction which no-one in modern centrally heated homes seems to suffer from any more. It took us a while to realise that was what O had as we had no idea what they looked like till we googled them.

B x
  • skezier
    Hi B

:lol::lol::lol: sorry. hey going to go have a look to see what they are meant to be like actually :wink: I don't have modern or central heating ....... I think mines from bad circulation... and pos slopping about out doors in the cold then sticking my feet almost int the fire 'might' have something to do with it eh? :lol: You keeping ok there? Cris x
  • babette
    skezier wrote:
    Hi B

:lol::lol::lol: sorry. hey going to go have a look to see what they are meant to be like actually :wink: I don't have modern or central heating ....... I think mines from bad circulation... and pos slopping about out doors in the cold then sticking my feet almost int the fire 'might' have something to do with it eh? :lol: You keeping ok there? Cris x

Hi Cris

Guess what! We only got central heating 7 yrs ago and before that it was coal fires and granny's tartan (blotchy legs from sitting almost in the grate). We now have central heating but it's a solid fuel (coal) system so still have variations in temperature depending on whether anyone has remember to stoke the system. Managed to keep it going for three full weeks during the heavy snow because we were all trapped at home!! My son hates it though and says his room is always freezing. Hence the chillblains.

That's what you get if you live too far from the gas mains in the middle of a field in Fife!!

B x
  • skezier
    Oh B snap...... only I living in the middle of a field in Cornwall :lol::lol: Miles from any gas and well field dwelling...... not alway what you'd think :lol::lol::lol: ((( ))) Cis x
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Hi Bailey
    Sorry I can't help. Have you been to see your GP?

Someone may come up with something.

Take care.
    Sharmaine

bailey27 wrote:
    Hi
    Any ideas?
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Hi, I remember, from the dim and distant past, when I was a little girl, comming in from a snowball fight with purple hands and Mum making me sit with my hands in hot water... oh the pain!!! Then, the fingers would itch like mad and I would scrach until they were sore and Mum used to say it was my fault, I had chillblanes. :roll: :lol:

Seriously, if they don't soon look better, I'd get someone to check them out for you. Love Sue