Shall I just give up work now?

cutieclaire
cutieclaire Member Posts: 134
Hi I work as an Administration Officer and currently I have been off work for 6 weeks.
I am having lots of tests at the mo and have been diagnosed with Inflamatory Arthritis in reference to RA and at the moment I am having xrays, ultrasounds and bloods to see what damage has been done really. I am also doing an Masters at uni but I am only doing 1 module at the mo as so ill. But I will be going back full time to uni in Oct this year. I really don't knkow if I should just hand in notice now or wait till I am put on medications and then go back until Oct?? I am just full of pain right now and can't see the future at all really

xxxx

Comments

• markc1
    markc1 Member Posts: 253
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi I work as an Administration Officer and currently I have been off work for 6 weeks.
    I am having lots of tests at the mo and have been diagnosed with Inflamatory Arthritis in reference to RA and at the moment I am having xrays, ultrasounds and bloods to see what damage has been done really. I am also doing an Masters at uni but I am only doing 1 module at the mo as so ill. But I will be going back full time to uni in Oct this year. I really don't knkow if I should just hand in notice now or wait till I am put on medications and then go back until Oct?? I am just full of pain right now and can't see the future at all really

xxxx

Only my opinion but never jack a job in,you never know whats round the corner.
    Sit tight and see what your employers suggest. :?
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    i agree stay if you end up getting finnished that different thing if you leave you have no money just take your time my meds working great and if you have the same you will regret having acted so rashly wait and see
    val
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Hi

I would give the meds a chance first, they may work and then you might regret the decision.

I know when we hurt and don't feel too good, we tend to think that giving up work is the best idea.

They do have good meds that can be very helpful.

Hope everything works out for you.

Trish
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Claire,

Its sort of looks like you are having a rough time at the mo. I really hope you soon get the meds etc sorted out. I think when you go back to Uni you might well have to stop work but for now maybe you might be better to wait until all test etc are back and you know what’s what? I think you have so much going on for you that making another decision might be more clouded than it will be once you have the answers. Have you got any sick leave you could use for a min while the tests come back? I am self employed so don't really know how it all works but I do know its very hard to make decisions when your up in the air and in pain. I do hope it gets sorted for you soon. Cris x
  • janie68
    janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
    You think things look bleak right now but they are not at all. With the right meds, you can lead a relatively normal life with some adjustments. Meds are so much better these days and they will reduce the disease considerably.

You should inform uni as you would be classed as disabled, they have a duty to help you. You should also tell your work as they have to make reasonable adjustments to help you stay in work. We have all been where you are at the moment and you will have many years yet at work/uni. You are in the right hands with all your tests etc and sounds as though you are getting good care.

Stay with it for the moment, it may take a while for meds to kick in, but you will be able to manage your arthritis.

Janie
  • cutieclaire
    Thank you all so much for your advice.

I am going to take sick leave until meds sorted I think but I am a little concerned that I will be given a writen warning at work for to much time off as only 2 days 2 get an oral warning and taken more than 2 days!!

My flare up seems to be easing as this is the 2nd day when my hands have been at a normal size (for a change) and not as painful but this is my 1st flare up so I don't know if that is normal!!????

Thanks all again you have been amazing support. xxxxx
  • cutieclaire
    delboy wrote:
    Make sure they know that you are classed as disabled then warnings have no meanings whatsoever. Keep in touch and let them know how you are doing just to make sure that they can't use that against you. Get everything in writing where possible and have a rep with you at any meetings, it's your right.

Thanks Delboy, They already knew about the disability and ATos did a consultation and advised different equipment etc and more time off. So on top on my 7 days allocated sick I would have 10 days a year off sick, which I have reached a few times over now lol :lol: :!: :!:

I will take in my reps the next time but I don't really want to go back when I haven't started Meds yet as what to have it all in place b4 I go back.

Thanks for your support and info, this forum is a God Send

Thanks againxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Good luck & dont let them get you down it only makes your condition worse
    Keep strong
    Mx