Popper's!

portiasmummy
portiasmummy Member Posts: 13
edited 26. Feb 2010, 20:08 in Say Hello Archive
Hi, I am new to this forum. Unfortunately my daughter was diagnosed with RA not long after giving birth to her first child 3 years ago. She came off her medication to try for another child and has just given birth (now has another son, aged 2 weeks). She is now back on her medication. However, apart from the obvious problems of having difficulty with bathing him (hubby helps so that isn't a great problem) and finding that pushing the pram is exacerbating the stiffness in her wrists the biggest difficulty is doing up the poppers on the babygrows! I just wondered if any of you out there could advise where we can purchase popperless babygrows, ie with velcro or something similar? Any help would be gratefully received as I've been googeling for ages and found nowhere that sells such things! Many thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• portiasmummy
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    delboy wrote:
    Hi and welcome.

It may well be impossible according to Disabled Parents Network forum and they suggest pj's and socks as an alternative.

Thanks, good idea. However, I know my daughter will say she doesn't want a gap on the tummy! I will suggest this to her as personally I think it's a good idea - obviously I come from an age where we didn't have such things as babygrows so a gap in the middle was the norm!
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi, I am new to this forum. Unfortunately my daughter was diagnosed with RA not long after giving birth to her first child 3 years ago. She came off her medication to try for another child and has just given birth (now has another son, aged 2 weeks). She is now back on her medication. However, apart from the obvious problems of having difficulty with bathing him (hubby helps so that isn't a great problem) and finding that pushing the pram is exacerbating the stiffness in her wrists the biggest difficulty is doing up the poppers on the babygrows! I just wondered if any of you out there could advise where we can purchase popperless babygrows, ie with velcro or something similar? Any help would be gratefully received as I've been googeling for ages and found nowhere that sells such things! Many thanks in advance for your help.

Hi there!

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on becoming a grandmother again. I have a grand daughter of 18 months and I love her to bits. I too found the poppers a little fiddly because of my hands and what I found was really annoying - when I missed a couple of poppers and then had to start all over again!! :roll: With a wriggling baby, as she got older, it was sometimes a nightmare! :)

Proper vests from tiny baby size minus poppers can be bought from Mother----. If you buy a larger size than is required they are long enough to tuck into trousers which are usually elasticated etc. Proper jambs can also be bought from tiny baby size upwards, another way of getting around poppers.

I know that babes look so cute in babygros but there is no rule what you dress your babe in as long as they are warm and comfortable. I would have thought for night a vest/teeshirt and nappy along with the grow bags that are used and recommended nowadays would be fine for night time. I wish they had been on the market when my two were babies! :lol:

Why not post on the Young People's zone or Living with Arthritis zone. More people look in there and so you may receive more replies. This zone is more of an introductory one.

I wish you and your daughter well.

Look after yourself,

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    PS you could always sew some velcro onto babygros to use instead of the poppers, but that is probably rather fiddly. :roll: :)

E x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • chile168
    chile168 Member Posts: 384
    Hi and a very WARM WELCOME to this site :)

Sorry to hear the problems your daughter is encountering with the fastening of baby clothes. Manufacturers should do more for parents with disabilities.

I have RA and a lot of problems with my hands, fingers and wrists so very much empathise with her.

I have insomnia that's why I am replying to your post so late or should I say so early in the morning lol.

I have spent some time googling for you and found 1 babygrow in John Lewis with a zip rather than poppers. I personally find zip a little easier than poppers or buttons.

I have also found some more baby grows with zips at
    www.bizrate.com but they are based in US so prices are in dollars and you have to click on the US to view them. You may be able to purchase them and pay the p&p. I do realise that might be more expensive though.

What about the baby wearing a two piece top and bottoms (elasticated waist)? Also as what about sewing velcro in between the poppers?

I will keep looking out for you. Congratulations on new grandson :)

Lots of love xxx

Eve
  • portiasmummy
    chile168 wrote:
    Hi and a very WARM WELCOME to this site :)

Sorry to hear the problems your daughter is encountering with the fastening of baby clothes. Manufacturers should do more for parents with disabilities.

I have RA and a lot of problems with my hands, fingers and wrists so very much empathise with her.

I have insomnia that's why I am replying to your post so late or should I say so early in the morning lol.

I have spent some time googling for you and found 1 babygrow in John Lewis with a zip rather than poppers. I personally find zip a little easier than poppers or buttons.

I have also found some more baby grows with zips at
    www.bizrate.com but they are based in US so prices are in dollars and you have to click on the US to view them. You may be able to purchase them and pay the p&p. I do realise that might be more expensive though.

What about the baby wearing a two piece top and bottoms (elasticated waist)? Also as what about sewing velcro in between the poppers?

I will keep looking out for you. Congratulations on new grandson :)

Lots of love xxx

Eve
    Thanks so much Eve. I shall definitely try John Lewis - I use them a lot as they are so helpful - not something that can be said of all retailers unfortunately! I appreciate the time you have taken to find out re the popperlessd babygrows. I don't know about you, but I find that when I start to google I get sidetracked into other sites and things take ages! Sorry to hear about your insomnia - I know only too well what it is like - you look out of the window in the dead of night onto a sleeping world and feel jealous! Wouldn't it be lovely to go to bed at night and wake up in the morning!
    Thanks again for your help Eve. Good Luck.
    PMx
  • chile168
    Hi PM,

Yes Im 100% with you, I wish I could go to sleep without any problems and wake up bright eyed and bushy tailed in the mornings.

I just wanted to add that of course ensure that the zips on babygrows are okay and nothing is loose. I know you know that already cos you're a mum and a caring one but you know what is like when we are stressed we forget about the little things.

I wish I could import some of the baby clothes from Chile where Im from as they do baby clothes which are easier and I used some of them when my daughters were little. Which you lived close by as my mother is a professional dress maker and I too can sew and would gladly help.

I will keep looking but you are absolutely right, here in the UK there isn't much to help parents with disabilities and I came across website of disabled parents complaining and having the same and other problems. It about time, they cater for everyone and not just the average person.

Will keep my eyes peeled :shock: and let you know hun. xxxxx

Love and hugs

Eve
  • portiasmummy
    chile168 wrote:
    Hi PM,

Yes Im 100% with you, I wish I could go to sleep without any problems and wake up bright eyed and bushy tailed in the mornings.

I just wanted to add that of course ensure that the zips on babygrows are okay and nothing is loose. I know you know that already cos you're a mum and a caring one but you know what is like when we are stressed we forget about the little things.

I wish I could import some of the baby clothes from Chile where Im from as they do baby clothes which are easier and I used some of them when my daughters were little. Which you lived close by as my mother is a professional dress maker and I too can sew and would gladly help.

I will keep looking but you are absolutely right, here in the UK there isn't much to help parents with disabilities and I came across website of disabled parents complaining and having the same and other problems. It about time, they cater for everyone and not just the average person.

Will keep my eyes peeled :shock: and let you know hun. xxxxx

Love and hugs

Eve
    Hi Eve
    Point taken about the zips - so easy to forget such things. Sounds a good business idea if you could import clothes from Chile - I'm sure you would have a willing clientele (sp). My husband phoned JL this morning and they say they don't do babygros without poppers but they do do a sleep suit which is more like PJs with feet, so we are going in to Peterb orough in a day or so to have a look at what they can offer. They do do something called a baby bungdler which looks ideal for the night times - how I envy your gift of being able to sew!
    Good luck to you. & many thanks re your offer of still looking.
    Love, PM x
  • chile168
    Hi PM

I came across another website and another person was asking for babygrows without poppers and someone suggested Primark.

I have called my local branch and they told me that they do babygrows with zips.

I don't of course know which one may be nearer to you but it's worth finding out if they have them and will make your daughter's life easier.

I have also emailed another one to find out if they do them with velcro or zips and waiting to hear from them.

Love x Eve
  • chile168
    PM,

Just looked up Primark in your area and there's one in Corby

28 Cornmarket, Cornby DE1 2DP - 01332 297209

Call to see if they do them with zips cos in my area they do.

Good luck hun xxxx

Eve
  • portiasmummy
    chile168 wrote:
    PM,

Just looked up Primark in your area and there's one in Corby

28 Cornmarket, Cornby DE1 2DP - 01332 297209

Call to see if they do them with zips cos in my area they do.

Good luck hun xxxx

Eve
    Hi Eve, thank you so much - unfortunately we are a long way off from Corby. You are so good doing all this detective work for me.
    Love PM x :lol:
  • chile168
    Hi PM,

Sorry it's not near you. That's the only one I found that came up in Peterborough on the net.

The other company replied to me but no luck as they only do them with poppers.

Still keeping eyes peeled.

Love x Eve
  • portiasmummy
    chile168 wrote:
    Hi PM,

Sorry it's not near you. That's the only one I found that came up in Peterborough on the net.

The other company replied to me but no luck as they only do them with poppers.

Still keeping eyes peeled.

Love x Eve
    Thanks so much Eve - your eyes are going to get very sore being peeled! I've found what is called a baby bundler from John Lewis which is actually like a sack with an elasticated bottom - ideal for nappy changes during the night (it's rather like a sleep sack, but much thinner) so that will help my daughter somewhat. I also am going to get her some PJs (well, not her,Baby Charlie Chutney!) with elasticated waist so between the two that should be less stress on her hands. You have been so kind looking for me - and I just know that should you ever find popperless baby grows I will hear the delighted shout from here!! :lol:
    Love PM x
  • chile168
    lol PM you definitely will hear me shouting in delight.

I saw those but thought you were just looking for babygrows. Brilliant, Im happy you have found other solutions. You sound such a laugh and a great mother and cool grand-mother.

Lots of love x

Eve :):):):):):):)
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    HI PM

I know this may have been mentioned but there is a lot to read.

Has your daughter got wrist splints? The Hand Therapist gave me some and it has helped a lot, with carrying and lifting.

I wonded if she has not, she could ask to see a Hand Therapist. They are so helpful and ask what you are having problems with. Then they work out how to help you.

Congratulations on the birth of your second Grandson. Could I babysit, I love newborn babies.

Trish