mild arthritis

margie1
margie1 Member Posts: 57
Hi

I went to see a different GP who just said arthritis is for life, I know that but she wasn't much help either. since being diagnosed with arthritis in my lower spine I have been having pain in my neck and wrists, elbows and 1 of my fingers, she didnt seem interested so i am now wondering if it all in my head! apparently the consultant at the hospital has put in the report that i have "mild arthritis" so should i just accept that it's not that bad and i should just ignore the pain and if i only have mild arthritis I feel so sorry for anyone who has it worse. I do feel like a fraud now. i am due back at work on monday as i asked to return because i now feel guilty for being off since i was told its only mild. I have not been given any pain relief either. why am I feeling guilty? sorry to go on.

marg

Comments

• markc1
    markc1 Member Posts: 253
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    margie1 wrote:
    Hi

I went to see a different GP who just said arthritis is for life, I know that but she wasn't much help either. since being diagnosed with arthritis in my lower spine I have been having pain in my neck and wrists, elbows and 1 of my fingers, she didnt seem interested so i am now wondering if it all in my head! apparently the consultant at the hospital has put in the report that i have "mild arthritis" so should i just accept that it's not that bad and i should just ignore the pain and if i only have mild arthritis I feel so sorry for anyone who has it worse. I do feel like a fraud now. i am due back at work on monday as i asked to return because i now feel guilty for being off since i was told its only mild. I have not been given any pain relief either. why am I feeling guilty? sorry to go on.

marg

Don't let it worry you,i bet we've all had this told to us at various points.Its your body not theirs,don't feel like a fraud or guilty...you're not if you feel up to work go if you don't stay off.
    I got told i had 'mild' arthritis and look what happened to me!! g070.gif
  • snowball
    snowball Member Posts: 3,465
    Hi Marg sorry you are feeling down. My docter once put i had mild pain on a letter for my employer, i went back to see another docter and explained how much pain i was in you do feel like a fraud but you are not. Go back to your docters try to see a different one if you can and ask them for some pain meds. take care we are allways here if you need someone to talk too.
    julie
    ((((hugs)))) n xxxxx to ya all
  • rach1986
    rach1986 Member Posts: 32
    My doctor told me that I have "mild" arthritis in my wrist, but my physio told me everyones pain threshold is different so whereas the doc said its mild, to me its really painfull. We are the ones in pain, we know our own bodies so dont let anyone make you feel like a fraud ((hugs))
  • margie1
    margie1 Member Posts: 57
    Thank you all for your replies it is really good to know that there are others who understand, I no longer feel guilty and I hope you are all feeling ok

cheers
    marg :)
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Hi Margie,

you definitely should not feel guilty or a fraud.

no-one knows what pain you have...only you!

Arther has a way of not always being obvious to the observer (even the docs don't always get it right) and in the early stages of the disease the pain you feel is your best guide of what is happening in the joints. Pain is real and the docs should be asking you about pain levels and listening to what you are experiencing so that they can provide you with the correct meds.

Insist on getting proper pain relief and don't feel bad about time off work. Irisx
  • topgirl
    topgirl Member Posts: 290
    Sorry, I have RA not OA but im sure the pain can 'travel ' round the body :shock:
    Also remember if your in pain, ( esp your back)...you can put pressure on other joints to 'compensate'....so no, its not in your head...
    And dont worry about work!!!!!
    x