applying for d.l.a

only49
only49 Member Posts: 1,207
edited 27. Feb 2010, 15:27 in Living with Arthritis archive
hello

i posting here as i thinking of applying for d.l.a
I got a appointment with my local c.a.b who going to help fill in the horrible forms.

has anyone got anything tips on what they would put down in order
to get the message over what its like having o.a and and how it effect day to day life compaired to what a person who does not have o.a would be able to do, i think sometimes we all need someone who knows what we are going through to help us get things straight in our own head i hope this make sence as its not such a good day for me today and everthing seems more difficult

sylvia
sylvia :)stern02.gif

Comments

• jenzie06
    jenzie06 Member Posts: 708
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    hi Sylvia

My best suggestion would be to put down your worse possible day. Sounds fairly straightforward but quite difficult to do. It can be quite depressing form especially as you have to write everything you can't do anymore. But its worth it in the end.
    I'd also recommend getting a letter from your GP or consultant to put in with it as it may help.

Hope this helps.

Jen

P.s I always think its funny that they ask if you have trouble filling in forms on about page 16 - you'd think they'd put it at the front!!
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    you can get a very good guide from the rheumatoid arthritis soc. Ring them up and they will send it. Worth getting as got everything in it.
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Sylvia,
    I see you can download a copy from NRAS website but I think you have to be a member to do this.You have OA and the book covers R.A but their is very good advice in it which will be relevent to you and help with the form filling.I got a copy sent to me by phoning them and I am not yet a member(although I have been in the past).It arrived very quickly.
    0845 458 3969, ask for How to claim Disability Living Allowance.

Good luck
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi Sylvia,
    I filled mine in online, it seems much easier that way, you can save it and go back to it.
    Good luck
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Sylvia,

Good luck Flower. Cris x

Barbara can you fill it in on line? x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Sylvia,

Good luck Flower. Cris x

Barbara can you fill it in on line? x
    Yeah it was better then having a stack of forms in front of you, you can save what you have done, then keep going back tp it, once you are done , you submit it.
    They ring you if they have any questions, I got 2 calls of them, they where very nice.
    Love
    Barbara
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    :D:D Thanks Barbra xx
  • only49
    jenzie06 wrote:
    hi Sylvia

My best suggestion would be to put down your worse possible day. Sounds fairly straightforward but quite difficult to do. It can be quite depressing form especially as you have to write everything you can't do anymore. But its worth it in the end.
    I'd also recommend getting a letter from your GP or consultant to put in with it as it may help.

Hope this helps.

Jen

P.s I always think its funny that they ask if you have trouble filling in forms on about page 16 - you'd think they'd put it at the front!!

thanks thats very usefull i bet no one likes thease forms
    :roll:
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Hi Sylvia,

good luck with filling in the form! it's good CAB are helping with it as they have a lot of experience in completing these applications so will definitely help you through the process. But it is important not to minimise the impact arther has on you by describing a 'good' day...as others have said, think of how it is on a 'bad' day and you won't go far wrong.

I think the form is designed to wear you out with there being so many sections:shock:' ....but don't be put off by it! you can always save the form and go back to it later, preferably after a cup of tea...':D'

DLA can make a big difference to getting support, transport etc... I use mine for a motablility car....so it's well worth the effort.

let us know how you get on. Iris x

The only
  • dorcas
    Hi Sylvia,

good luck with filling in the form! it's good CAB are helping with it as they have a lot of experience in completing these applications so will definitely help you through the process. But it is important not to minimise the impact arther has on you by describing a 'good' day...as others have said, think of how it is on a 'bad' day and you won't go far wrong.

I think the form is designed to wear you out with there being so many sections: ':shock:'...but don't be put off by it! you can always save the form and go back to it later, preferably after a cup of tea...':D'

DLA can make a big difference to getting support, transport etc... I use mine for a motablility car....so it's well worth the effort.

let us know how you get on. Iris x
  • only49
    hi everyone

just to say not a good day for me today i am not having one of my better days today but trying to look at the good side at least it will be easier when i go to the c.a.b today and discribe my worse day as i am going through it today, you learn how to tollerate pain or not as the case may be, anyway i let you know how i get on later when i get back, not going till this afternoon, it will be interesting to see how they actually put it on the form, not as easy as you would think i find some people are just good with words.
  • dorcas
    Good luck this afternoon Sylvia! ':D'
    Irisx
  • only49
    hello everyone

just got back from c.a.b i saw a very nice lady called barbara leask
    she whats called a walfare rights adviser.

she asked all the questions on the form that she needed a answer to took notes and will fill in the form and do all the usual and make a copy and if needed appeal against the what they decided, and also as far as the tribunal if needed i also asked what she thought i should get and thats what we going to ensure i do, so i more than happy
    :D:D:D at last things are hopefully going to go right fingers crossed

i also left her with 2 books from arthritis care about arthritis and oa so she can have a good old read nothing like making people aware :):)
  • chile168
    chile168 Member Posts: 384
    Hi Sylvia,

So pleased that you have spoken to someone at CAB and that the lady is helping you because that was my mistake and I did end up in a Tribunal.

Keeping fingers crossed for you and hope all goes well.

Good luck x

Eve
  • susanjanemoon
    susanjanemoon Member Posts: 28
    only49 wrote:
    hello

i posting here as i thinking of applying for d.l.a
    I got a appointment with my local c.a.b who going to help fill in the horrible forms.

has anyone got anything tips on what they would put down in order
    to get the message over what its like having o.a and and how it effect day to day life compaired to what a person who does not have o.a would be able to do, i think sometimes we all need someone who knows what we are going through to help us get things straight in our own head i hope this make sence as its not such a good day for me today and everthing seems more difficult

sylvia
    Hi Sylvia,
    I went for DLA in the middle of January, I was daunted by the forms, and made an appointment with the CAB, I was allocated a 3/4 hour appointment, and was with the advisor for 2 hours. I sent my forms off which they recieved on the 1st February, I have had a decission letter today telling me that I have been awarded high rate mobility and lower rate care. I thought Id have a fight on my hands, but am so relieved, it is well worth contacting the CAB. GOOD LUCK Susan x