different ways of relaxing how do you relax?

only49
only49 Member Posts: 1,207
edited 6. Mar 2010, 13:18 in Living with Arthritis archive
hi has anyone got any tips of relaxing when resting of trying to wind down at the end of of a busy day,

sylvia
sylvia :)stern02.gif

Comments

• bailey27
    bailey27 Member Posts: 689
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    radox bath and a glass of wine
  • bluebeard
    bluebeard Member Posts: 260
    avoid tea and coffee

any alcohol

have a watch of silly tv like eastenders

dont watch violent or tense films or tv shows

burn some lavender oil

have a bath or shower if you can

walk, if you can

self massage your stiff areas

get into bed early and put the radio on quiet
  • malc7747
    malc7747 Member Posts: 73
    I watch a program on TV that I WANT to watch then nod off whilst its on :)

It seems more comfortable to nod of on the sofa than in bed. When I up I go to bed I play chess on the Nintendo DS which helps me relax.
    take care
    Malc
    :)
  • wallysatt
    wallysatt Member Posts: 87
    I also have to watch tv to wind down. I like knitting and reading but I'm still using my joints while knitting and if I'm reading I'm putting pressure on my joints particually if it's a heavy book.

My Mum and Dad bought me a digital tv recorder for my birthday a couple of years ago and it's great because I record progams and then when I'm having a bad day or need an evening of doing nothing I watch all the stuff I've recorded. It's been particually useful while the olympics has been on!
  • nuttynana
    nuttynana Member Posts: 44
    Hi

If I am particularly stressed I listen to a relaxation tape - really does bring me down as does other gentle music.

I also treat myself to reflexology - magic....

Hazel
  • ifeelninety
    ifeelninety Member Posts: 57
    Farmville on Facebook But very addictive !!! :lol:

Although as previous posters have said, if I watch a TV program I am desperate to see, I usually am unconcious before 1st adverts, hubby wakes me up when it is done to go to bed, then I cant sleep :x
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    A glass or two of wine

A long soak in a hot bath with a good book
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Hi Sylvia

I always find a nice bath/shower and soothing music makes me feel relaxed.
    If OH is feeling generous he will rub my feet with lotion and that relaxes me too. Or, I soak my feet in a basin full of nice warm water with my favourite smellies in.

Sharmaine

only49 wrote:
    hi has anyone got any tips of relaxing when resting of trying to wind down at the end of of a busy day,

sylvia
  • babette
    babette Member Posts: 128
    delboy wrote:
    Meditation, can't beat it for relaxing and beating the stresses of everyday living.

Note to self: Start meditating again.

Hi

Like Del I find meditation the best way to relax, my yoga teacher does this moving your awareness around various parts of your body and breathing into the joints thing; starting at the toes and working up. Sounds a bit odd and requires you to use quite a bit of visualisation, but when I was really stiff and painful last year I did this to help me get off to sleep. I never got past my neck as I usually dropped off before reaching my jaw. Fab!!

Bx
  • tuppence
    tuppence Member Posts: 19
    Its difficult to relax here ....single mum 4 children under 13 lol .....but if I do get the rare opportunity ......long soak then bed with candles ,those smelly therapeutic candles ,lavender is good (candles not in the bed mind,I just need to point out !!)

Oh and a glass of Baileys doesnt go amiss either !!! :D
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Sylvia,

I use music, meditation, drifting, more music and sitting with some sheep, on good day it works on a not so good one I use it all collectively only add in more music, more thumping the better :wink: Cris
  • only49
    only49 Member Posts: 1,207
    hi just goes to show we all different :) proberly just as well :lol:
    sylvia :)stern02.gif
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    bejeweld on fb to tire mind then warm bath and bed with book have read few times and wheat bags if needed
    val
  • seraphina
    seraphina Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I also find it very hard to relax but I have a hypnosis cd which is very relaxing and even if I started with bad pain, by the end I can't feel it and that, for me is quite something!
    Otherwise a hot shower is great but once I'm in I don't want to get out, so put a towel on the radiator so I get out to a bit of comfort.
    Seraphina
  • harleyd14
    harleyd14 Member Posts: 259
    hi..
    i kick the cat out of my chair, tell one of my sons to make me a cuppa NOW and then watch my hubby make dinner.....i find this the best way to relax and highly recommend this to anyone !!!!! :lol: Sallyxx
  • jean62
    jean62 Member Posts: 12
    Hi everyone I am new to posting . I tend to Relax in the Bath with scented candles around the bathroom and loads of Bubbles in the bath . I like to read when having a soak , but cant always concentrate when my RA is bad ,as it is tonight . so no reading tonight for me :( hopefully feel brighter after my Relaxing bath .look forward to chatting again :) Jean
  • gennyf47
    gennyf47 Member Posts: 30
    only49 wrote:

sylvia

I learnt Autogenic Training, it is really helpful, you can use it anytime, on the bus, in bed, sitting, etc. Get a GP referral then the course is free at the Royal London Homeopathic Hosp. My teacher has v bad arthritis and she found it has helped her a lot.
    Mindfulness meditations are good too, try Jon Kabat-Zinn or Mark Williams's books.
    Good Luck !

xxx
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Hi,
    I have what I call my 'Chewing Gum' books! :lol: They are mostly novels that I've read many times and know almost be heart, no upsetting story line, and not demanding to read! James Herriot although some of the stories are sad, I can have a good cry, about a lost loved pet! Books I know by heart and when my husband sees me reading one of these he asks what the problem is now!!! :oops: :cry:
    Love Sue
  • ailsamary
    ailsamary Member Posts: 38
    actaully when i'm up to it i like going to the seaside, i just love it,

and strangely i find my tens machine relaxing after an hour or so, dunno how psychological it is but it works lol
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    woodbon wrote:
    Hi,
    I have what I call my 'Chewing Gum' books! :lol: They are mostly novels that I've read many times and know almost be heart, no upsetting story line, and not demanding to read! James Herriot although some of the stories are sad, I can have a good cry, about a lost loved pet! Books I know by heart and when my husband sees me reading one of these he asks what the problem is now!!! :oops: :cry:
    Love Sue

Sue, I do exactly the same thing! I find myself re-reading books that I can quote almost word for word.....so soothing.

Annie