anyone else with OA in the spine?

margie1
margie1 Member Posts: 57
Hi

I was just wondering if anyone has OA in their lower spine and what problems you may have (apart from pain) how it effects you day to day. I keep hearing that it affects people differently.

marg

Comments

• ailsamary
    ailsamary Member Posts: 38
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    hi there

i have OA both neck and lower spince, complicated by a crumbling spine and prolapsing disc's, i find when i do too much walking/standing it flares up as sciatica, and pins and needles down my legs, sitting for long journeys often isnt pleasent, i use analgesia and a tens machine to help with pain relief, i prefer cold treatment as sometimes it feels as if its burning

not sure which bit its related too but sometimes i get an altered sensation in my bum, sometimes its numb but then it can also be over sensitive

ailsa x
  • babette
    babette Member Posts: 128
    Hi Marg

I too have OA in lumbar spine, it affects L4 - 5 and the Sacroilliac joint, I also have bone spurs on my pelvis. Haven't been too bad recently but have learned to pace myself and take time doing housework, gardening or walking. The year before diagnosis was the worst, I hardly slept formonths and had pain/ extreme discomfort if I walked too far, did too much bending, sat for too long (numb bum and pins and needles across my back) but it was at its worst when I lay down. My back would just seize up after a short period and I would have to get up as it became too painful to stay in bed. I try to avoid painkillers as ibuprofen upsets my stomach, co codamol gives me serious chest pain and vicious heartburn
    (nasty!), paracetamol are worse than useless and diclofenac
    (another NSAID so can cause ulcers) is the only one which touches it. I work as a teacher with 5 - 6 yr olds so have to get down to their level, but have learned to kneel on the floor rather than stoop, and I never sit on the wee chairs!!

B x
  • susanpollard
    susanpollard Member Posts: 14
    hI Marg
    I have OA in my spine and in every bone in my body, but my spine is the worse, I have generalised OA. Mine started where I couldnt get out of bed due to painful back, it took me half an ahour to get out of bed. Eventually I had steroid injections which worked a treat, then I was prescribed Gabapentin as I felt like I had wet myself, I hadnt but it felt like that, I was told it was transferal pain, some people get it like running water, which I had, or pins and needles and pain.
    I am meds for RA and the rheumatologist says I havent got RA until it shows up in my blood tests, although all my symptoms point to that, dry eyes, mouth,nose, pain etc.
    I am looking for work in customer service, but due to my dry mouth I dont think I will be able to do it now, which is really getting my goat!
    I hope that helps Marg, take care, Sue x
  • woodbine
    woodbine Member Posts: 140
    margie1 wrote:
    Hi

I was just wondering if anyone has OA in their lower spine and what problems you may have (apart from pain) how it effects you day to day. I keep hearing that it affects people differently.

marg

Hi Marg,

I have OA in my lower back, and the main problem I have is seizing up! If I sit or stand still for more than a very short space of time, it gets stiff and painful, and it's hard to get going again after sitting for a while.
    Once I get going it's usually not too bad! Unfortunately lie-ins are definitely a bad idea, and when I sucumb to temptation to stay in bed, I know all about it when I get up :) Heat pads and occasional back massage, plus hot baths help a great deal.

Three or four times a year I have a bad spell where the muscles spasm and all movement becomes painful. I've been advised to take my strongest painkillers and keep moving if poss when this happens. Usually it begins to improve after a couple of days, but can take a couple of weeks or more before it's back to pre-spasm pain levels.
    I'd say that the day-to-day twinges and stiffness have got a bit worse over the years, but the worse spasms are about the same, and happen just as often. I also have referred pain in my legs and hips - a bit annoying as you don't know where to rub!
    I have a deep lordosis (curve) in my lower spine which is partly responsible for my back problems, but it's mostly down to the OA I think. With heat and painkillers as necessary I can usually do most things I want to (within reason!)without huge problems most of the time. Pilates also helps a lot - the exercises are slow and controlled, and your teacher should be able to give you alternatives for any that hurt you particularly. They aim to strengthen your stomach muscles so thast they support and take the pressure off your spine.

I've just noticed that you ask about problems apart from pain. One is that I seem to get tired fairly quickly. The other is irritation with people who, because I have no obvious disability, and don't yet need a Blue Badge, don't seem to believe that I'm really in pain.
    Can't think of anything else!
    Hope that all helps

Naomi
  • anglerman
    anglerman Member Posts: 42
    ailsamary wrote:
    hi there

i have OA both neck and lower spince, complicated by a crumbling spine and prolapsing disc's, i find when i do too much walking/standing it flares up as sciatica, and pins and needles down my legs, sitting for long journeys often isnt pleasent, i use analgesia and a tens machine to help with pain relief, i prefer cold treatment as sometimes it feels as if its burning

not sure which bit its related too but sometimes i get an altered sensation in my bum, sometimes its numb but then it can also be over sensitive

ailsa x
    I have OA in both hips and spodylosis in C7 and the symptoms you prescribe above are what i suffer with amongs others but I agree with you the bum thing is weird when it happens
  • anglerman
    anglerman Member Posts: 42
    babette wrote:
    Hi Marg

I too have OA in lumbar spine, it affects L4 - 5 and the Sacroilliac joint, I also have bone spurs on my pelvis. Haven't been too bad recently but have learned to pace myself and take time doing housework, gardening or walking. The year before diagnosis was the worst, I hardly slept formonths and had pain/ extreme discomfort if I walked too far, did too much bending, sat for too long (numb bum and pins and needles across my back) but it was at its worst when I lay down. My back would just seize up after a short period and I would have to get up as it became too painful to stay in bed. I try to avoid painkillers as ibuprofen upsets my stomach, co codamol gives me serious chest pain and vicious heartburn
    (nasty!), paracetamol are worse than useless and diclofenac
    (another NSAID so can cause ulcers) is the only one which touches it. I work as a teacher with 5 - 6 yr olds so have to get down to their level, but have learned to kneel on the floor rather than stoop, and I never sit on the wee chairs!!

B x
    Hi I take dechlofenic as well but I also take OMEPREZOLE to combat the stomach/ulcer problem that may arise.
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Hi B, it is hard being at teacher of young'uns when you have OA, I'm a teacher too.
    Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • elielass
    elielass Member Posts: 8
    Hi Marg

I have o.a. of my spine in two different place, I also have a sllipped disc and ankolysing spondilytis.

The pain is just horrendous and I cannot either stand for long or take many steps before having to sit down.
    The amount of things that I cannot do for myself is just ridiculous now and frankly I feel quite bitter about it.

I have always said though, that there are terrible illnesses out there and somehow I cope with this.

I cannot cut my own toenails. put on my shoes, socks, tights etc. I have to put my underwear on the floor to put them on as I cannot bend down to put them on properly, same with trousers.
    So having this is just so frustrating.

I was the one who did the decorating and the garden, now I cannot do either .

ann xx
  • daylily
    daylily Member Posts: 619
    HI. I have multi level spondylosis of cevical spine (think it's same or similar)
    Have had left hip-resurfacing, feet and ankles very very sore but no definate diagnosis yet and knees just started to hurt. I've been told not to kneel.
    I'm a full-time carer for my husband who had a severe stroke 3 years ago. He needs help with everything so I have to kneel to dress him/ wash him etc.
    Does this count as a job :?:
    I used to be a driver for meals on wheels and I absolutely loved it- it wasn't a job it was a paid pleasure.
    I'd give anything to work like that again.
    don't mind looking after hubby but it's affected him mentally and it's very lonely 24 hours a day.
    If you cannot find a paid job have you considered volunteering then you could do as much or as little as necessary.
    Hope you find something soon. anne
  • angie1973
    angie1973 Member Posts: 248
    I have OA in my lower back, neck, hands, and knees. Dubious about my hips, but I work a desk job so sitting for long periods is hell for my neck and back, and I get numbness and tingling in my legs if I sit funny or for a long time, and I get a lot of pain standing for too long, same as I do lying in bed as well.

I just keep getting up regularly and walk around the block of the building to give me some exercise so I don't get too stiff and sore. Pain meds when needed, but I try and not take anything if I can help it.

It's no fun though sometimes is it! I hope you get some relief.

Ange..xx

Only 99.9% possessed by the giggle monster.........the other 0.01 % just eats chocolate..