How often should your employer call when you are off sick??

cutieclaire
cutieclaire Member Posts: 134
I have had 2 sick notes. One for 2 weeks and another one for a month. I am only a week into the month sick note and I have been called 3 times by my employer asking how I am and how I am taking the children to school and doing my day to day activities!!! I was under the impression they shouldn't be calling me asking questions???? Can anyone help regarding this mattter as I feel like I am under pressure to tell them things and that I shouldn't be at home!!

Thanks

Claire :lol:

Comments

• topgirl
    topgirl Member Posts: 290
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Oooooo....naughty....
    Make a note of it in case you ever need it... :wink:
    I have just returned to work after 8 months off....
    I got monthly sick notes...
    I rang work when I was issued a new note with an update and to let them know any outcomes of investigations/medications....
    I feel that is more then enough...
    The fact that you can get your children to school is nothing to do with work....only that at present you are too poorly to do your job...
    let me know how you go on
    Love
    Kay
    xxx
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    one of my mates was off with bad leg boss had to be invited around or could not visit even sent one of us with flowers so as not to put pressure on very naughty asking personal questions if they do it again ask if they could take children for you lol and could they do you some shopping cheeky devils
    val
  • issymknight
    issymknight Member Posts: 99
    Claire

Its one of them catch 22 questions. If your boss doesnt ring then you may think he doesnt care and then when he does you feel like they are checking up on you. I know how you feel as I have gone through the same thing. I asked my union rep and he said as long as he is calling to check on your wellbeing then thats ok. He is not allowed to ask questions concerning what you are doing as you have a note telling them the details. If you are off self cert then he can ring and ask when you think you will be fit to come back.

When your boss rings again if he asks about kids going to school then throw it back to him and ask "why are you volenteering to take them for me." As for how you are getting on around the house tell him that you are taking the doctors advice.

Dont let yourself worry about him calling you. You have nothing to worry about you are ill and your doctor has given you a note to state that fact. Tell him that you will contact him when the note runs out or after you have seen the doctors again.
    Do what ever the doctor has told you to do and get better soon.

Issy
  • miss_l
    miss_l Member Posts: 138
    I know how frustrating it is!
    I was off for 8 months and didnt hear from my boss at all during that period! only when i was ready to return did he show any interest and then it was only negative!

Make sure you keep a note of what he is aksing you - as he should only be checking your wellbeing!
    x
  • hedgehog
    hedgehog Member Posts: 9
    Oooh, that's definitely naughty. You don't say what you work in, but, I work for the local council and it's built into our sickness procedure, that we contact our line manager when we receive a sick note. After a month, they contact us, to arrange a ''welfare'' visit at a place of our choice.
    The said sickness procedure, is still flawed, as it's just been revised with no union agreement, but, thats another story. If possible, seek union advice. Good luck, hedgehog.
  • cutieclaire
    hedgehog wrote:
    Oooh, that's definitely naughty. You don't say what you work in, but, I work for the local council and it's built into our sickness procedure, that we contact our line manager when we receive a sick note. After a month, they contact us, to arrange a ''welfare'' visit at a place of our choice.
    The said sickness procedure, is still flawed, as it's just been revised with no union agreement, but, thats another story. If possible, seek union advice. Good luck, hedgehog.

Thank you, I don't really like saying where I work but I am a Civil Servent!!!
    Yeh i will contact the Union if they call again, xxxxxxxx
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Hi Claire!

It's always a difficult balance....as Issy said, if your boss doesn't contact you then he would have been at fault; but I would question too why you were contacted at such an early 'stage' of your illness...and agree that being asked what you consider 'personal' questions is bordering on harassment!

Why not check out the service's 'Sickness Policy' to see what the guidelines are for both you and your employer? (they must have one)
    I work for a branch of the Scottish Executive and whilst off sick found it very useful to read the 'Managing Ill Health' policy as it spelled out exactly what my obligations were in terms of when I needed to contact my employers...and, what level of contact and 'support' to expect from them. Also means you know where you stand and can challenge what your boss does in future.

You would be able to get a copy from the union or might find it on the service website.

I would also write down all contact made by you to your employers and vice versa...I'm not being paranoid when I suggest this...just realistic! it's easy to forget what and when things happen and who knows you might want/ need to refer to it later...

Iris x
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    I agree with Dorcas keeping a log of when u call them & when they call u is good back up in case u have a problem in the future
    I never got rung by my boss it was always me who rang her when i was off sick for 6months!
    Make sure u read ur sickness policy coz in my experience u will know more abt it than ur boss
    They should not be asking you personal questions especially when you have a valid sick note! Dont let them pressurise you into going back to work too soon either
    Seems to me none of us seem to work for a caring establishment!
    Take care hope ur condition improves
    Mx
  • maria09
    hedgehog wrote:
    v So has mine & it appears quite harsh it starts by saying we are costing them nore than a million pounds a year so proves its abt money not us!
  • jackie1955
    jackie1955 Member Posts: 632
    I've worked happily for a very small family company for over ten years, so I was quite annoyed that my boss didn't bother to phone or visit to see how I was doing. I called in work one day and he said he'd not contacted me as it would be deemed harassment! I replied "oh, I take back all the names I've called you then" :wink:

BUT, I still think thats a poor excuse as surely it would only be harassment if they kept asking when I would be returning to work? Sending a 'get well' card or friendly note would have shown they at least cared how I was! I didn't even get a Christmas card :(

There is surely a great difference between what constitutes harassment, and what is just a friendly boss wishing you well :roll:

Jackie
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    jackie1955 wrote:
    I've worked happily for a very small family company for over ten years, so I was quite annoyed that my boss didn't bother to phone or visit to see how I was doing. I called in work one day and he said he'd not contacted me as it would be deemed harassment! I replied "oh, I take back all the names I've called you then" :wink:

BUT, I still think thats a poor excuse as surely it would only be harassment if they kept asking when I would be returning to work? Sending a 'get well' card or friendly note would have shown they at least cared how I was! I didn't even get a Christmas card :(

There is surely a great difference between what constitutes harassment, and what is just a friendly boss wishing you well :roll:

Jackie
    ours is small firm and they send flowers with one of the staff and get well cards but will not contact you as that can be harasment if you invite them to phone that different
    val
  • cutieclaire
    I got another call this week, which was handy as I had to let them know I had been back to the doc and she had given me 4 months sick as I still hadn't been back to the rummy for results etc.

My manager and Duty manager has arranged to come and visit me, they apparently have to be in 2's!!! Like, they don't know me well I have only worked there 5 years!! lol

Oh well they are coming this Tuesday. Will keep you posted.

Thank you all so much for all your info and support.

Claire xxxxx
  • dorcas
    Hi Claire,

good to hear you have a caring GP, but remember she gave you a 4mths line because in her medical opinion she has decided that's what you need.
    So don't go feeling guilty or pressured by your 'visitors' to go back to work too soon!':shock:'

let us know how it goes on Tuesday. Iris x ':mrgreen:'
  • issymknight
    issymknight Member Posts: 99
    Claire
    If they coming in two's try and have someone with you when they visit that way you wont feel intimitated. I would be jittery if both were coming to visit me I would make sure i had company.
    Let me know how it goes and dont worry your doctor gave you a certificate which means you are ill.
    Also if you can download leaflets on RA and give them it to read.
    Issy
  • cutieclaire
    Thank you all so much for your kind messages and I will have someone with me I think.

Thanks again and will keep you posted.

:lol:

Love Claire
    xxxx
  • cutieclaire
    Well, what a nightmare and why did they even come!!!

I had the children here and the person that was coming to take them out didn't come and I couldn't beleive it. The kids just senced that I was nervous and needed to hear everything and they played up really badly.
    As for employer, well they passed me a letter to sign to say that I was given the option for a rep. Apparently I should of dated it from the telephone call but I dated it when I read it as I didnt get any letter inforning me of no such thing until that day!!

Apparently I will be having these visits every 28 days and its only for updates from the team etc. There was only 2 matters from the team, which took all of 5 mins. They were talking about how I should be careful being out and about if I went out for a drink etc. I explained that I am being encouraged to go out and about and try and move as much as I can!!!!

They brought up about driving and to be careful about not having my lisence away due to my disability!!

I think these people have got a new profesion of being Medical doctors now. Oh it makes me mad and next time I will be having my union rep here I think.

xxxxxxx
  • jackie1955
    jackie1955 Member Posts: 632
    Hi,
    This visit seems rather 'heavy handed' to me........ why exactly are they coming to your home, especially as you have sent in a sick note for 4 months?

If I were you I'd get advice from someone like Citizens Advice, and find out if you have to let them visit your home, or even contact you regarding work. Seems like 'Big Brother is Watching' to me :shock:

Jackie
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    I'd get an answer phone/ a phone that lets you screen the calls?! Ring back when employer know to busy ie just about to get off work or before he has to give a briefing!! Say it was kind of him to enquire after you - and that you will keep him informed of any changes.

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • dorcas
    Claire,
    what has happened and how you were treated is appalling :x :!:

please please get advice from the union...ask your rep to speak to their Equality Officer to find out whether what your employers are failing in their duties towards you under DDA (which really think they are) and whether their actions border on being illegal. The union can take this up on your behalf so that you are not carrying the strain.

I know I have said this before but please never meet with ANYONE from work without having a union rep present and any meetings minuted so that there is a record of what was said and agreed etc.

Write down as much of what you recall was said from this last 'visit' so that you have that to refer to when you speak to the union....you can also quote it back to them next time!

If you agree to them visiting you at home (and you don't have to agree to this as it is an invasion of privacy) and you get let down by child minder/ friends then just tell your 'visitors' to go away! and re-arrange for another day...that is perfectly reasonable.

Get angry! get advice and support in equal measure! you do not have to put up with this harassment but do need to take some action to first of all know what your rights are under DDA and then show your employer that they have duties towards you that they are not meeting.

Contact JobcentrePlus speak to a Disabilty Employment Adviser and ask for an Access to Work Assessment. It is a very quick process...once they have accepted an application it takes just 10 days for an assessment of your need for support, adaptations, aids etc to be completed. You are also entitled to an OH assessment to look at 'reasonable adjustments' to hep you get back/ stay in your job.

I wish I was there to help you Claire...I know how difficult and stressful it is....stay strong.
    Iris x
  • maria09
    What is wrong with all these employers dont they have a heart :x
  • cutieclaire
    This Visit was a 28 day review meeting and I had union support this time. They are going to be having meetings now to see if they can sustain me being off sick, if not they will see about if the business can keep me as an employee!!!!

I stood my ground about DDA but they are not bothered at all really and will look into it. I gave them some info on DDA and they are beginining to start with having a desk **** for when I possibly come back,

Really feel like just giving up and getting another job when I am feel a lot better.

xxxxxx
  • dorcas
    I'm not surprised you feel this way Claire....so unfair to have to fight for proper consideration under DDA.

Good for you though standing your ground with them :wink::D

If your union rep contacts their Equalities Officer (usually based in union HQ) the EO will discuss the legality of your employer's 'disinterested' approach to DDA and what can be done.....they can intervene on your behalf so you don't have the stress.

They are effective but union reps sometimes need a kick in the 'proverbial' to get the support needed.

It's really tough going Claire, I know. Wish we could organise a posse to come down and sort them out! Iris x
  • cutieclaire
    Well apparently they are supporting my time off sick and will help me back to work!!!

Good news on that front and went in today to do a desk **** and recieved £50 in vouchers to say thanks for all the good work I have done!!

So all good on that front

xxxxxx
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Well that was nice. Sounds like things are looking up.

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.