Fostering with rheumatoid arthritis

focused
focused Member Posts: 5
Does anybody with rheumatoid arthritis foster? I have had RA for 8 yrs but my husband and I are considering fostering older children 11 yrs+ I want to know if having RA will stop us from doing this? Does anyone have experience of this or know anyone who has RA and is fostering? My husband works full time, I would be the primary foster carer.

Any comments would be much appreciated.

Comments

• dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello focused! and welcome to the forum :D

It's a great thing you are planning to do and I wish you lots of luck with your application. :wink:

I don't have direct experience of having RA and fostering but I know there are a couple of peeps here on the forum who do have arther and foster....whether they had arther prior to making their fostering applications ..I don't know, sorry. But I hope they will see your post and maybe be able to answer your question.

The only suggestion I can make is to contact either social services or the organisation Foster Plus (depends where you live) and ask their advice? I used to work in social services and we could not/ did not discriminate on grounds of disability as that does not exclude applicants who are in all other ways suitable candidates. That was a number of years ago and if you have any doubts you're right to check it out. I think the important question to be answered is whether RA significantly affects or impedes your ability and that is a very complex question and needs careful assessing.

As I said...I am talking from earlier experience but I would think social services or the local fostering agency will be very happy to discuss it all with you......they will not want to lose potentially great foster parents and I'm sure they will help in any way they can. good luck! Iris x
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Hi Focused,
    Peeps with disabilities can foster and social care and health are in theory very into "equal ops." I think each case would be taken on its own merits. The assessment to be a foster carer is very indepth and takes many months.

I have OA. I fostered in various forms for years -I started as a respite carer for children with disabilities - took a break whilst I had my left hip replaced, returned to respite caring and then became a long term foster carer. My foster son is now grown up and still lives with me (he has autism) and we are now transferring to adult services ... should have happened when he turned 18 - but the cogs of social services turn ever slowly and inefficiently ...

Definitely contact social services to find out more. Some areas have drop in centres where you can pop in for an informal chat and to find out more.

Let me know what happens.

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • cutieclaire
    cutieclaire Member Posts: 134
    Hello,

I think people who choose to foster are amazing. I have found a document and in th 11c info it say about having a medical and talking to you GP and Rummy about it.

http://www.fostering.org.uk/information/pdfs/homestdy.pdf

Hope this helps and good luck.
    xxxxx

Will ask at uni for you if you want, seens as I am studying to be a Social Worker lol
    xxxx Claire
    xxxx
  • focused
    Thanks for the replies. I am going to a fostering opening evening with my LA next Wednesday (31st March) so hopefully I will find out then.
  • dorcas
    Please let us know how you get on :?:

good luck with your meeting and I hope you go head with the application. Iris x
  • cutieclaire
    Good luck,

Hope all goes ok and let us know.

Take care
    xxxx Claire
    xx
  • focused
    We went to the meeting and had a chat with them about the RA and it should not be a problem. They have suggested that if we go forward with the application that they could get the medical done first so as to be sure. As I have seronegative RA and it is fairly mild, they cant see it being a problem fostering older children. Fostering younger ones is a different matter as lifting, carrying and generally having the energy to run round after them would be difficult for me. So hubby and I are filling the form in this evening and starting the ball rolling. I will be back to post on the forum after my medical to inform you all if any issues that may arise, so that if there are any other potential foster carers out there looking for answers it may be informative. One of the reasons I am considering fostering is because I can no longer hold down a full time job due to my illness, but I still want to feel like a productive member of society, and this is one way I feel I can do that.
  • focused
    Just one added bit of information for anyone else out there that may be considering this. Fostering does not affect Incapacity Benefit or DLA. I rang and spoke to the Incapacity Benefit people today, and although your classed as self employed when you foster, and you get paid allowances and fees it does not affect your Incapacity Benefit as they do not class it as working. Which is wonderful news :)
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Good luck with the forms and medical.

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • dorcas
    Great news about the meeting you've had. :D and good luck from me too with the forms, medicals etc.

keep us posted. Iris x
  • cutieclaire
    Congratulation to you then, all good news. Well done and let us know how you get on.

Love Claire
    xxxxx