sore throat and methotrexate

salamander
salamander Member Posts: 1,906
edited 31. Mar 2010, 09:28 in Living with Arthritis archive
hi gang, got a question for you. Am due to take my methotrexate this evening but have developed a sore throat today. What would you do - take it and hope you are better in the morning or wait and talk to rheumy nurse tomorrow? As peeps on this know, a sore throat is one of the things they look out for with mtx. Usually they say to skip a dose if you are ill, don't how ill you have to be though :lol:

Comments

• jojo12
    jojo12 Member Posts: 30
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    HI, I wouldn't take it before contacting the rheumy nurse for advice.
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Hi Sally,
    I agree with jo,

phone rheummy for advice.

one day isn't going to make any difference and if you have to stop it for a week..that's not a big deal either :wink:

better always to check it out with the rheummys.

Iris x
  • salamander
    thanks, I expect you are right! It's just that I am coming up to my 3 months when it is due to kick in and am reluctant to delay another week.
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Hi, I agree with the others, delay your injection until you have sought advice, I always do love Jaspercatxx
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    Take it. If you are going to hesitate every time you think
    you may have a side effect your life will become more and
    filled with dilemmas.
    I've been swallowing methotrexate for over 10 years now
    and have never experienced any side effects.
    Methotrxate is a medication you have to take continually for
    best effect.
  • salamander
    ichabod6 wrote:
    Take it. If you are going to hesitate every time you think
    you may have a side effect your life will become more and
    filled with dilemmas.
    I've been swallowing methotrexate for over 10 years now
    and have never experienced any side effects.
    Methotrxate is a medication you have to take continually for
    best effect.

I half agree with you. The half that doesn't is because I've had respiratory infections earlier this year and been told if get another sore throat not to take it and maybe have to come off it altogether. Last time I finished up in casualty. Just waiting really to see if throat gets better or not but thanks for point of view :)
  • salamander
    Hi Sally

I would ring the rheumy nurse first, to be safe. Chances are they might say take it tomorrow anyway, but for the sake of one day, I would give them a call. Am I right in thinking the docs were monitoring you closely on the MTX anyway, for other reasons?

I think 3 months is still very early days to be complacent about MTX. At some point down the road, it might become second nature, but at this point, I would play it safe!!

Good luck Sally,
    love, Lynn xxx

Thanks Lynn, yes you are right am being monitored closely due to infections/asthma and sore throats. As I said to Ichabod, I half agree with him and half with you. Think I might err on the side of caution. No doubt, in time, I will become more relaxed about it as you say but it is early days yet. And I wish the bloomin' drug would work!!
    Sally
  • jojo12
    jojo12 Member Posts: 30
    Hi,

What we all need to remember is that this drug is very powerful and it's not good to be casual about it. Glad you have made the right decision for you. Good luck.
  • salamander
    Thanks Jo. I felt better in the morning so took it. I often have sore throats and my rheumy says I may have to stop if it continues. And it's not even working yet!!