"PAUL..NO PAINKILLER WILL KILL ALL YOUR PAIN "

bluebeard
bluebeard Member Posts: 260
edited 30. Mar 2010, 14:22 in Living with Arthritis archive
consultant told me today

nice of them to be straight I thought

are our expectations of the medical miracle workers sometimes too high ?

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    well killing the pain . i not sure about that but naproxen not a pain killer as such it an anti inflam. i have pain med as well for when things bad as can not sleep sometimes with out them
    val
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Hi Paul,

:lol::lol: I know your post isn't meant to be funny but for some reason it made me laugh. :!:

I think it's the doc's total and absolute directness and lack of any tact, compassion or mercy that so stunned me..... and made me hysterical with disbelief. :roll:

........well, you can't ever say you didn't know...can you :?:

What's your doc's name...Dr Crippin by any chance?

Iris x :shock:
  • only49
    only49 Member Posts: 1,207
    dorcas wrote:
    Hi Paul,

:lol::lol: I know your post isn't meant to be funny but for some reason it made me laugh. :!:

I think it's the doc's total and absolute directness and lack of any tact, compassion or mercy that so stunned me..... and made me hysterical with disbelief. :roll:

........well, you can't ever say you didn't know...can you :?:

What's your doc's name...Dr Crippin by any chance?

Iris x :shock:
    seems like he dont think much of painkillers maybe if he was suffering too he might and i say might know what your going through
    sylvia :)stern02.gif
  • bluebeard
    lol

I think the consultant meant it was up to me to also manage my pain , together with painkillers
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Its a bit like my Dr who said a year or so back, "if you stopped the tablets, you will die"............. :shock: I know that comment wasn't related to OA, but another medical condition, :roll: but all of the Drs have said you are on enough pain killers to floor an elephant, in not so many words. They help, but no, they don't cure, sometimes they are useless and you do try and work round those times.
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    bluebeard wrote:
    lol

I think the consultant meant it was up to me to also manage my pain , together with painkillers

I agree that is what he meant. :D:)
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Pain is also a warning that you are being injured, not just 'in pain'. If you kill all pain then you could be seriously injured and not know anything about it.

As such, you always need a certain amount of pain as a precautionary measure just in case. For instance, you could sprain your ankle and not know about it until it was seriously and perhaps permanently damaged. If you put your hand on something very hot then you would also not feel it until you are seriously burned.

So a certain amount of pain is always necessary.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Paul,

Kinda know what he meant but tis a bad way to say it!

I think it impossible to kill all pain after a while. I know I have permanent pain but the tablets keep it with in the realms of being tolerable. Mines getting advanced now and has hit a few nerves bu pain management might be a god idea. A.C. run curses for pain management so maybe they are having one i your area? I do know with time it all gets easier though so stay positive and I really hope the pain killers will stop a lot of the pain you have. take Care Cris x
  • bluebeard
    thanks all

I have some good books on chronic pain
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Hi Bluebeard
    I have some good books on chronic pain

Post us some tips then!!

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.