UPDATE ON 6 WEEK APPT FOR THR

hileena111
hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
edited 19. Apr 2010, 17:32 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi...I had my 6 week appointment today and to my great relief the consultant said I could sleep on my side ...either side....hopefully I'll have my first decent nights sleep tonight.
He said I could do most things......except sitting on a low chair or stool.
Putting on shoes.....if I sat on the bed and bent down and did them that was OK...but not to bring my knee up to me.
I was on paracetamol for the arthritis and they put me on tramadol as well after the operation. I've been gradually weaning myself off them. He said chuck them altogether!!!!!! They make you very "zombie like" just keep them for the occasional time I might need extra pain relief...so I'm back to my original paracetamol.
Oh yes....he did say I couldnt go rock climbing or horse riding LOL
All in all I'm happy with the appointment,.,,,,,It was the original consultant as well not one of his registrars. Well thats about it for now....I think....from one happy little bunny
LOL
Love
Hileena

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Great news Hileena! This is an extremely positive posting from you and wonderful to read. Sleep well now! :D:lol: You have done really well and although we all told you that, it was your consultant that made you truly believe it!

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Hi Hileena!

how great to read your post and see how well you're doing after only 6weeks...fantastic. :D:D

loved the doc's comment about tramadol making people 'zombies'. :lol::lol: now I know why people look at me so strangely ha ha! I'll need to learn to walk without sticking out both arms in front of me, swaying from side to side and moaning. :lol::lol:

you take good care of yourself :!: it's lovely to hear such good news.

sleep well and enjoy being able to lie on your side again. Iris x
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    So glad you posted an update - what fab news.

See you have done brilliantly!!

Hopefully as I type you are fast asleep sleeping on your side ...

Hearing how well you have done is inspiring - I want my op even more now (this forum is doing a good job on me, before I joined it I was dreading op ...)

Speedalong

Have you got another follow up appointment, or is that it?
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • quietwaters
    quietwaters Member Posts: 288
    Hi Hileena,
    That's excellent news, well done. I hope you got a lovely decent nights sleep, bet it was luxury being able to turn over and sleep on whichever side you wanted.
    It's reassuring to know how well you and other peeps on here have done after THR, it does take away some of the fear of having it done, thank you for that. I know there are certain restrictions after the op, but I'm hoping that not having the excruciating pain anymore outweighs the limitations afterwards.
    I hope you continue getting better by the day.
    Love Jay x :)
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    hi well done it sounds very positive but i hope you can find something to do other than rock climbing x :wink::wink:
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Hileena

You must be very pleased after your visit to the consultant.

I hope you continue to get stronger.

Sharmaine

hileena111 wrote:
    Hi...I had my 6 week appointment today and to my great relief the consultant said I could sleep on my side ...either side....hopefully I'll have my first decent nights sleep tonight.
    He said I could do most things......except sitting on a low chair or stool.
    Putting on shoes.....if I sat on the bed and bent down and did them that was OK...but not to bring my knee up to me.
    I was on paracetamol for the arthritis and they put me on tramadol as well after the operation. I've been gradually weaning myself off them. He said chuck them altogether!!!!!! They make you very "zombie like" just keep them for the occasional time I might need extra pain relief...so I'm back to my original paracetamol.
    Oh yes....he did say I couldnt go rock climbing or horse riding LOL
    All in all I'm happy with the appointment,.,,,,,It was the original consultant as well not one of his registrars. Well thats about it for now....I think....from one happy little bunny
    LOL
    Love
    Hileena
  • hileena111
    Sorry...Not so upbeat in this post....after 6 weeks of not being able to sleep on my back but not allowed to sleep on my side I finally get the go ahead to sleep on either side.,....guess what????? I had a worse night trying to sleep on my side LOL.....I tried my operated side...the scar hurt, I tried the other side...the hip hurt, I tried a pillow between my knees...still the same ...I actually got about an hours sleep on my back....would you believe!!!!!!! :oops: Any suggestions are welcome.
    As for the tramadol.....he said give it up altogether....I decided it was my body and my pain and my new hip not his so when I got up this morning I was very sore and took 1 {instead of 2} didnt take any at lunch time or teatime but am going to take 2 tonight.
    I think thats about all...everything else has been fine....So here goes for another night trying to sleep on my side LOL
    Love
    Hileena
  • annebr
    annebr Member Posts: 730
    Hileena,

I can sympathise with you I was the same after my op, couldn't get comfortable. In the end I managed to get myself into a weird position that enabled me to sleep.

I agree with you with regards to the Tramadol. It's easy for someone who isn't in pain to tell you to stop you don't need them.

Hope you get a better nights sleep.

Anne
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Hi Hileena
    After my THR I managed to sleep on my unoperated side at about 6 weeks (ish) with lots of pillows for support, between thigh, knees, and we bought a memory foam topper to make it softer under me too. I took painkillers at bed time to help me too. Sleeping on my operated side took a lot longer as , like you say, my scar was tender and uncomfortable to lie on.
    Hopefully soon with trial and error you will find a comfy postition to sleep in.
    NB
  • quietwaters
    Hi Hileena,
    so sorry that you didnt get the nights sleep you were expecting. :(
    I was really hoping you would. Hope tonight is better for you and you're soon able to get back to a proper regular nights sleep. and blow what consultant says, if you need tramadol, take them.
    Jay x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi Hileena
    I am so sorry you didnt get any sleep on your side, I am sure it will come, maybe the memory foam is the answer, or a feather bed topper, I am watching your post closely, I need both my hips replaced, the first one this year, hopefully, (says me who is terrified.
    I hope things improve for you very soon, how you will appreciate a good night sleep.
    You take care
    Love
    Barbara xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • speedalong
    Blow - just lost post!!

Hi Hileena, sorry to hear you didn't sleep well on your side - how disappointing.

Just a question - did you both give up tramadol and try sleeping on your side on the same night? If so, it wasn't a "fair test," you need to keep meds the same and sleep on side or give up the meds and sleep on back to know what stopped you sleeping. (Does that make sense?)

I couldn't sleep on my operate side for quite a long time - I slept on the good hip first with the operated leg really supported. If you haven't got a memory foam mattress topper sleeping on a duvet might help you sleep on the operate side a bit earlier.
    I used to start on my good side and surprise myself by waking up on my back each morning.

Take care, early days, hope you sleep better tonight.

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • hileena111
    Hi...Thanks once again for your replies...what would I do without this forum........I havent got a memory foam but I do have a very thick duvet that might help....going to try lying on that tonight and just cover myself with a light one....The one I had on last night was very heavy.
    As for stopping the tramadol......I slept on my side {in theory LOL} last night for the first time and I had come down from 8 tramadol TO 6 then yesterday afternoon he said stop them.....I had had 2 in the morning, 1 at lunchtime and didnt have any at teatime but took 2 at night.
    Today...was so sore when I got up took 1 and havent had any all day but am planning to take 2 going to bed.
    I'll read through the replies again before going to bed and see what ones I can try...thanks
    Love
    Hileena
  • hileena111
    I knew I would think of something else.....has anyone any advice on easy ways to do things or gadgets to use etc......Oh yes....a bath.....any suggestions about getting in and out...I've only had one sibnce my op and what a carry on my husband and I had LOL LOL Glad no one was there with a camera :lol: We do have a shower but I dont like a shower...prefer my bath if at all possible.

Lov e
    Hileena
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Hi Hileena
    re the bath, I wasn`t allowed to get into bath til 12 weeks, as I had a non cemented prosthesis. But managed ok at 12 weeks using the handles on the bath and keeping operated leg straight when going down/getting up. This prevent you bending knee up to high. If you are struggling with height of your bath OT can provide a bath step (non slip) and also they can offer handles fitting over your bath on wall to aid you. I declined them as I have a separate shower cubicle and prefer that ant way. But did enjoy the bath when I was allowed.
    Not sure what other `gadgets` you mean, but did you see OT for grabber, long handled shoe horn, sock aid , long handled sponges etc.. before your op?
    Hope you slept well last night xx
    NB
  • hileena111
    Hi ALL
    I had a much better night last night.....npot brilliant but I slept for 4 hrs without waking {on my non op side}....after that I dozed no an off..sometimes on my back and sometimes on op. side.
    I dont know what sort of gadgets I want either LOL....I did get stuff from the OT like the shoe horn, never used, long handled sponge, raised toilet seat....grabber which is excellent.
    As for the bath....so ideally I should sit in the bath, put the non op. foot under me...stick the operated one out and push up on my good leg using my hands on the side of the bath? Not sure I could mnanage that LOL.....
    Love
    Hileena
  • quietwaters
    hi Hileena
    so glad you got at least 4 hours sleep last night, better than 1 hour but hopefully you will get more as the days/weeks go on. I hope you get to try the bath out too, sounds a bit tricky, I just hope you have good knees otherwise it will be veeeerrry tricky. :?
    Keep us updated on your progress.
    love Jay x
  • hileena111
    Hi Jay
    Got another idea for tonight.....last night I slept on top of a thick duvet but today I suddenly remembered that I had a single mattress that the OT had given me years ago at the beginning of OA....its a foam mattress covered in a plastic sort of thing....forget the exact name....I'm sleeping on a three quarter bed at the minute so it doesnt quiet fit...but I'll manage. Thats the ordinary mattress, the one the OT gave me and then the duvet on top of that.....that should be soft enough LOL Anyway ...its all trial and error.
    As for the bath...not sure how I'll get out of it LOL...before the op....I rolled over on to my knees and got up from there but not sure that I should do that now????

Love
    Hileena
  • speedalong
    Hi Hileena, glad you got a slightly better sleep last night, hope your plans for tonight work. Sounds rather like the princess and the pea (fairytale.)

Can I suggest you get up out of the bath by keeping your operated leg straight, turning over onto your good-leg knee and pushing up on that leg, keeping the operated leg relatively straight ... does that make sense.

Also found an article on line about this - they suggest having a low seat in the bath and give instructions for getting in and out
    http://www.myjointreplacement.ca/getting back to normal/tips for%

I love baths, don't have a walk in shower ... and shall miss my baths after my op as much as you missed sleeping on your side ...

Speedalong
  • hileena111
    Hi Thanks for the advice speedalong and I will look up that link.
    I'll also try getting out of the bath that way as well

Love
    Hileena
  • hileena111
    Hi
    Just the latest......
    I tried that mattress but it wasnt comfortable so I'm sticking with the thick duvet underneather me.....As for the bath.....its still trial and error....dont think I've done it the same way twice :lol:
    Although I'm sleeping on my side now .....I wake up usually once during the night which isnt bad but my sleep seems to be restless and the duvet etc is all over the place in the morning...so still dont feel great.
    I think my expectations are higher than my energy levels :lol:
    I'm sitting in the house on my own and suddenly think...That wardrobe needs cleared out or something like that....I start doing that and am shattered and sore and frustrated that I cant do it
    Oh well thats my moan for today
    Lov e
    Hileena
  • speedalong
    Hi Hileena,
    I'm glad your sleep is improving - did you wriggle a lot in bed before your hip got so bad? Think of all the exercise you are having as you wriggle!! You are probably trying to get comfy.
    I'm sitting in the house on my own and suddenly think...That wardrobe needs cleared out or something like that....I start doing that and am shattered and sore and frustrated that I cant do it
    I'm like that now ... I don't often get time without S (foster son, autism, challenging,) but when I do I feel I should be doing useful things which need doing, but often end up resting. This is what my body needs - but not my brain. My brain wants to get things done. So you have my TOTAL sympathy. Just focus on it will get better ...

Speedalong
  • speedalong
    Hi Hileena, I just wondered how you were doing?

Speedalong
  • hileena111
    Hi Speedalong,
    I was on tramadol in the hospital and when I came out and at my 6 week appt the consultant said stop them altogether....I stopped them except for the ones at night {2} still didnt sleep so after 8 and a half weeks I rang ward 3 at the hospital and asked for the Nurse Practioner and talked to her.She didnt seem to think that he should have taken me off them like that but suggested other painkillers...one beiung codeine {I had some in my cupboard} she said try 2 at about ...6pm and 2 at about 10pm then take one or 2 upstairs with me and take them if I needed to during the night. Well that was about 1 week ago and things have def improved. I'm still waking but usually only once and going back to sleep almost immediately. So it just goes to show.....ASK ASK ASK if things arent right. My muscles still arent used to the amount of work I'm trying to do LOL What about you? How are you? Love Hileena
  • speedalong
    Hi Hileena,
    good to hear from you. Glad the nurse practitioner was able to help ... to go from being on Tramadol to nothing was a big leap. I am glad your sleeping is improving again.

Marion is having her hip done on the 5th May and I'm due for my op on the 12th May ...

Keep us posted, as it is good to hear success stories and helps me dread the op and recovery less.

Are you still doing physio? I hope your muscles "catch up" it is a pity we have to wait until they are so weak before having the op.

Speedalong