Painkiller as required?

abfab1963
abfab1963 Member Posts: 41
edited 2. Apr 2010, 15:57 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi folks.

I am not taking any painkillers at the moment. I did take anti inflammatories (Celebrex) and also had to have Omeprazole for the associated stomach issues. High dose codeine also isnt great with my stomach! I am currently on 20mg MTX and thats it.

I am not in constant pain and dont really want to take daily painkillers, unless I feel I have to. I find my pain worse first thing in the morning and during the night. (cant remember the last time I slept all night!!) GRRRR

My question then, is anyone on intermittent painkillers, ie when required rather than daily and if so, what type please?

Cheers!

Abfab
xx

Comments

• speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Abfab,

I was on tramodol "as required" but didn't get on with them. Then given Co-codomol 8/500 as required - they did nothing more than smarties. Now been given solpadol (or similiar!) codeine and paracetomol 30/500 - full dose (2 at a time) knocked me out. So take one with one paracetomol (as 1000mg is max dose of paracetomol.) These too are as required, but as pain worsens (I'm waiting for an op) I take this combination 2 or 3 times a day. The codeine is very constipating. I don't sleep well either and am considering going back to the docs in the school hols. I'm also getting used to the tablets - so they are less effective than they were when I first started taking them.

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Hi Abfab!

I can understand your reluctance to take regular pain killers...I was like that at one time too as I didn't want to take anything unless it was absolutely necessary.

But there came a time when I had to weigh up the pros and cons of not taking regular pain killers (when I really needed to) and the impact this had on me. :roll:
    managing pain is such an important part of our treatment as pain drags you down and stops the body's healing processes.
    It's not always possible to be pain free but if you can get some ease then why not?

If you're not sleeping night after night then your body and mind is not rested....which is a stress on the body.
    You can of course get meds to help with sleep...for example I take amatriptyline which helps with night pain.

But maybe you need to be talking this through with your rheumy and get his opinion on what would be best for you to do with regard to pain management over all?

I've always found my rheumy very helpful and have grown to trust his advice more than my own unreliable instincts! so I now take regular pain meds...

hope you get help with this abfab....nice to see you posting!
    Iris x
  • bluebeard
    bluebeard Member Posts: 260
    my current consultant is a big fan of paracetamol for as needed pain

and amitriptyline to help you sleep
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    I do try and keep the dose of co-codamol to less than 8 a day, knowing that 240mg of codeine a day is not the best thing, to say the least. But, as has been said, you have to decide which is more troublesome, pain, lack of sleep, depression through pain and lack of sleep, or regular pain relief that has side effects and can cause dependence. I usually take 6 or 7, only on very bad days will I take 8.
    xx Bubbles
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Abfab

DMARDs and amitrip (to help me sleep) are regulars and the lanzoprazole.

All other painkillers I take on a PRN basis like you. i dont blame you at all. I want them to work when I need them - dont want to have got a tolerance to them really.

Having said that - there are times when I need to take them regularly over quite a long period of time.

I was once toild to 'keep ahead' of the pain when it is chronic (all the time).

Hope you feel a bit better soon - lack of sleep is awful - If you havent got it - maybe soem amitriptyline would help??

Love

Toni xx
  • abfab1963
    Thank you all so much for your replies. I will always try and fight the system first...thats just me! :-)

I really dont feel the need for painkillers all the time. I am aware that a lot of Dr's say that the trick is to keep on top of the pain, therefore not giving it a chance to take hold.

I REALLY like the idea of a kind of sleeping pill. I THINK getting a decent nights sleep is half the battle. My GP gave me 10 days worth of Temazepam (sp?) last year.......bloody useless!!! So thanks for the advice on that folks.

I have just switched Rheumys.....my original one was Private (via work and I loved him, he saved my life, a story for another time) but Insurance co was yapping so I have just went to NHS Rheumy 2 weeks ago. He was great.....1st time and he has referred me to Podiatry / Physio and Occ therapy.

Thanks again for the help

Abfab
    xx
  • opal1266
    opal1266 Member Posts: 10
    Scrap Temazepam, ask for Zopiclone 7.5 mgs and take 1 every 3rd night so you don't get used to them.
    Zopi are a short term tablet, not addictive but used regularly lose their effectivenss. I find that sleeping 8 hours every 3 days keeps me going, the other 2 nights I'm on 1/2 hourly turns due to pain.

As for pain, I couldn't find a prn med that works so I have a butrans patch, (fentanyl didn't agree) which I change weekly and top up with paracetamol. It seems to be okay at the moment.

If you find anything better I'd be interested in hearing
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    co-codamil when needed at night or before work not every day but when things r bad can not cope with out sleep
    val
  • psyart
    psyart Member Posts: 600
    hi - am on co-codomol at moment - swaped from tramadol, but am having issues with meds at moment so feel need to see someIone!!! but sometimes i think it depends on how much pain we can take??? somedays I only want to take them when I have to - but some days, especially mornings, I need them and I know from previous experiences of not taking them, that I need them!! Does that make sense??? I am hoping that when the weather gets better, I will be on less!!!! I can remember last summer when I went couple days without taking any painkillers!!!! But that soon changed when the summer went!!!!!!!

take care all.

Louise
    e050.gifo050.gif
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    Go on a self management course which could well reduce
    your reliance on painkillers. Both Ac and EPP have courses
    focused on pain relief in addition to their generic courses.
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    I take Nortriptyline 1 a day,Tramadol if I need them, mind you they don't do much pain seems to come right through them when it's bad.
    Also I have just been perscribed Oxynorm 5mg they are fairly strong and zonc me out, pains still there but I'm so spaced out it doesn't bother me, well until they have worn off like now. :roll:
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Hi

I don't think I can help as I take my painkillers all the time and I know about it if I forget about it. You may need something to help you at night - I take amytriptiline which is a powerful relaxant and helps me sleep. I think prolonged periods of inactivity makes our joints stiffen up which is possibly why you find your pain worse during the morning and at night. By the end of the day I'm usually limping and first thing in the morning I'm like a robot.

Why not see your GP again to discuss this?

In the meantime, take care.

Sharmaine

abfab1963 wrote:
    Hi folks.

I am not taking any painkillers at the moment. I did take anti inflammatories (Celebrex) and also had to have Omeprazole for the associated stomach issues. High dose codeine also isnt great with my stomach! I am currently on 20mg MTX and thats it.

I am not in constant pain and dont really want to take daily painkillers, unless I feel I have to. I find my pain worse first thing in the morning and during the night. (cant remember the last time I slept all night!!) GRRRR

My question then, is anyone on intermittent painkillers, ie when required rather than daily and if so, what type please?

Cheers!

Abfab
    xx
  • abfab1963
    You people on here have SO much info, thank you very much.

I am at GP's for bloods next Thursday so will make an appointment for GP then and ask about the api thingy.....lol

Thanks again folks.
  • abfab1963
    abfab1963 wrote:
    You people on here have SO much info, thank you very much.

I am at GP's for bloods next Thursday so will make an appointment for GP then and ask about the api thingy.....lol

Thanks again folks.

Ooops.....amatriptyline....I must write that down! :-)