muscle pain with joint pain

susan3
susan3 Member Posts: 6
edited 5. Apr 2010, 10:21 in Living with Arthritis archive
i am new to the board , but i have muscle pain along with the joint pain. has anyone else experienced this ? thanks for any replies.

Comments

• barbara01
    barbara01 Member Posts: 85
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi

Yes I get this, when I have pain in my shoulders it spreads down the top of my arms as if its in the muscles, I think you'll find its called referred pain and is quite common in RA. You will find that if you strengthen the muscles they are better able to support the joint and the pain is reduced.

Hope this helps

Barbara
  • susan3
    thanks so much for the reply. i sometimes wonder if some of the pain is real or just in my head. it is nice to be able to ask someone who is going through the same thing. have a great day
  • breane
    breane Member Posts: 392
    Hi Susan,Welcome to the forum. :) I was experiencing shoulder joint and top of arm pain and my rheumy consultant said it was due to muscle wastage because of the arthritis.I am now having physio to help strengthen the muscles again.Joint and muscle pain is all part of arthritis so exercise,even though painful at first,should help the joints. Breane.
  • tanith
    tanith Member Posts: 175
    susan3 wrote:
    i am new to the board , but i have muscle pain along with the joint pain. has anyone else experienced this ? thanks for any replies.

Yes Susan the two go hand in hand sometimes.. I used to get terrible pain in my thigh and calf before my hip-replacement , all referred pain from my hip.. it disappeared as soon as the hip was done... I now get it in my bicep from my shoulder joint.. its quite painful
    Our worst times are always our best lessons.
  • page35
    page35 Member Posts: 1,081
    Hi Susan
    yes me too, get arm pain from shoulder and pain in wrist goes to my hand and up fore arm.
    i find it normally eases as the day goes on.
    best wishes
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Susan,

Welcome to the forum from me as well, they are a good lot here.

I get both and like you used to think it was in my head but its not at all, its real.

Its hard when you first find out but it does get easier I promise you. Take care and sending you a ((( ))) Cris x

Hey Page,

(((( ))))'s and bubbles xx
  • only49
    only49 Member Posts: 1,207
    hello yeah that happens to me when my knees are painful it very often goes up into my muscles above my knees and sometimes my calf's, in the past when i had physio it helped a lot when i had a massage although it was very sore to start with i so befitted from it and i did not have any more referred pain, so maybe that might help

sylvia
    sylvia :)stern02.gif
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Hi Susan - unfortunately - YES,

Heat (wheat bags) help, massage, hot baths and physio/gentle exercise.

Take care,

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Hi susan

welcome to the forums from me.

I back the others and you too.

Me as well :(

Love

Toni xx
  • lizzie7ne
    lizzie7ne Member Posts: 154
    Hi Susan

Welcome to our forum. I have RA and yes I get muscle pain as well as joint pain,. Massage, and heat for the muscles

lizzie
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi Susan

Echo! :D I use heated wheatbags and also do stretching exercises daily, exercise bike, and ordinary bicycle. Nowadays we are told to exercise and if in any pain afterwards, should not last more than an hour or so, or you know you have overdone things. Rest too, but not without exercise as well.

Wishing you all the best,

Hope to see you posting more,

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Hi Suezan
    you never said what type of arthritis you have. Some types can affect the muscles as well as the joints and bones.
    Colin
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    What is happening is that your joints are not as flexible as they should be, the muscles expect the joint to move and when it doesn't then you can have mild muscle strain.

Another problem is that many people tend not to be as mobile as they should be due to the joint pain and then you can get muscle wastage over time due to lack of use. So a reasonable amount of exercise would increase the muscle and in the long term problems should lessen. Heat or cold packs on the muscle may help, but not the two together obviously.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Hi Susan!

With some of the inflammatory arthers you also get inflammation of the tendons in and around the joint which is very painful.....

I get that mainly in my shoulders and although I can pinpoint exactly where the inflamed spot is it also feels like the whole muscle is sore and tender and the arm and shoulder become very painful to move. I find that heat and massage helps.

best to get it checked out!

Iris x
  • susan3
    hi , i haven't had the time to get on here lately. thanks for the replies. i have severe OA , it is in both of my knees, hands, fingers, and back. doctors want me to go and have total knee replacements done , but i do not have insurance and living in the United States if you do not have insurance then any major medical precedure is not a option.
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Oh Susan....that is just so tough!

we take the availability of treatments and ops on the NHS so much for granted.......
    Your post has made me stop and think about how lucky I have been....and so ungrateful. :oops:

I do hope that you can at least have the meds you need to limit the pain of OA? what treatment and investigations have you had?

keep posting Susan...at least we can listen and support you. Iris x
  • susan3
    good morning , i haven't had any treatments because after doing some x-rays the doctors all agreed that total knee replacement is my only option. i take over the counter meds because i haven't been back to the doctor to get anything else , but it is ok because if i am having a bad day then i just limit what i do. my husband says that i am just hard headed , but i don't believe in giving in to anything without a very good fight first. everyone have a great day.