what to expect

steph120786
steph120786 Member Posts: 66
edited 1. Apr 2010, 03:54 in My child has arthritis
At my daughters last check up, our consultant discussed changing her treatment on to biologic drugs as methotraxate doesnt seem to be as effective as they would have hoped, am just wondering what to expect, Kaitlin is 3 and although getting more tolerant of all the proding and poking is to young to be aware of what happening, probably a good thing as I am doing all the worring for her.

humira i think is our first port of call as apparently that helps with the eyes too, as she also has iritis/uveitis

Thanks Guys

Comments

• steph120786
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I thiink i mean anti TNF drugs
  • scattered
    scattered Member Posts: 326
    I assume the assessment process is similar for children as for adults. She will have to be assessed twice and anti-TNFs will be granted as long as her DAS-28 is higher than 5 both times.

Humira comes as an injection once every two weeks. It's in a pen type instrument, so you don't actually see the needle and just have to push a button on top of the pen to administer the shot.

Your consultant may recommend that your daughter continues with MTX at the same time as Humira is meant to work better in conjunction with another DMARD.

I've been on Humira for a year and a half now and, with MTX and other DMARDs, it has been the best drug for my RA. I hope your daughter gets as much relief from it as I have.
  • steph120786
    Thnks for resonse, am very greatful
    I already give kaitlins mtx by inj so thats not a problem, just needed reassuring really that all will be ok.
    what do you mean by DAS score?, not really heard this mentioned before,

thanks again x
  • scattered
    scattered Member Posts: 326
    DAS-28 is a disease activity score taken over 28 joints. It's the main assessment tool used for judging disease activity in adults and, I assume, children. It measures the number of tender and swollen joints, combined with your last CRP and how active you feel things are on a scale of one to ten. They are all put into an equation and voila! you have a DAS.

If you already do your daughter's MTX then you should have no problem with the Humira. It's a very easy drug to inject. The only downside is that it stings going in, which may cause some discomfort.