Getting pregnant with RA while on medication? give me hope..

louiserichard
louiserichard Member Posts: 52
edited 10. Mar 2013, 21:40 in Living with Arthritis archive
I suffer from RA fairly badly (i'm late 20s and have suffered from a young age).
I am currently on methotrexate along with other medications (and aware that its dangerous to get pregant while taking methotrexate).
We spoke to my rheumy last year as me and my husband are desperate for a baby. To try n get me off the metho I was put onto sulphasalazine but 4 months later I feel no effect from it (i've been told to give it 6 months to work). Next step will be Hydroxychloquine. If this doesn't work then I will be put on steriods. I could never cope without anything as even on drugs i'm in a lot of pain. Once off methotrexate I then have to wait 3 months before we can start trying. I'm so worried as its all taking ages and I don't feel good and still not off the metho - I'm normally pretty positive in life but this is all really worrying me. And if I do manage to change onto the other drugs and get pregnant will the baby turn out ok as surely it isnt good for them (most sites seem to advise not to take these drugs during pregancy that my rheumy wants me to go on). Has anyone had a similar experience I feel really alone and in the dark.

Comments

• jenzie06
    jenzie06 Member Posts: 708
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Louise,
    Firstly, I just wanted to say that it is possible! I'm pregnant and due to give birth in under 5wks. I've had RA since I was 15 quite bad and I'm now 27. I was on Leflunomide for years and had be off it for a year with a washout (not as gross as you think - it was a drink 3x a day for 10 days and was like wallpaper paste). During that year off Leflunomide I tried anti-TNF which had stroke-like side effects so I came off that.
    I was taking amitrip, hydrox and painkillers during the year off (I'm sure I was taking something else but pregnancy brain has robbed me of all sense).
    It did seem to take forever to get round to actually having a baby but now that I'm here it's worth it.
    So that I could cope with the pregnancy I gave up work as the drugs I was taking weren't doing a huge amount and I wanted to keep as well as possible. Once I became pregnant (which luckily happened quickly) I stopped taking the amitrip as my GP and consultant couldn't agree whether it was safe or not and hydrox as I was told I couldn't breastfeed whilst taking it. I was put on steroids which have been upped during the pregnancy.

I can't say its easy as unlike a lot of people I didn't go into remission and had a big flare during 2nd trimester. Now its coming to the end its becoming really uncomfortable and I'm worried about the effects of labour. But I keep focussing on the end result. Can't wait to see my baby boy.
    I've also had an assessment from the local council and they have put a care plan in place so I can employ someone to help me with the baby as I can't even do poppers on some days.

Most problems can be overcome and the support is there.
    Will keep you posted on the labour though......eek!

Hope this helps.
    Jen
  • louiserichard
    Hi Jen

Thanks for replying you have given me some hope at a time when i'm feeling pretty upset by it all.

Thats great news that you are expecting a baby boy!

How have you found taking steriods through your pregnancy? That is what my rheumy said he will try if the other drugs don't work. Did they say there were any dangers that could happen with them?
    I would love to give up work but its not currently an option for me else I would as I want a baby so much- we need my income to help afford the mortgage and bills etc. Everyone keeps asking me when i'm going to hurry up and get pregnant etc which makes matters worse (they don't understand how long it all takes and the problems we face!).
    Let me know how you get on! x
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    hi no experiance in this but did read some where that some woman go into remision when pregnant do not know if true but hope it happens for you good luck will be worth it in the end there is nothing like having a child that i do knoe had two . but did not have arther then
    val
  • louiserichard
    valval wrote:
    hi no experiance in this but did read some where that some woman go into remision when pregnant do not know if true but hope it happens for you good luck will be worth it in the end there is nothing like having a child that i do knoe had two . but did not have arther then

Thanks Valval for your kind words. Apprantely it is quite common for pregnant women with RA to go into remission so yes I will hope that if I am lucky enough to get pregnant then this will happen to me that would be wonderful!

x
  • jenzie06
    Steroids are ok, I'm only on 10mg pd but I've had a few steroid inj throughout the pregnancy to help with flares. I've started with a flare in the last week or so and I'm waiting to see someone but I think I'm too close to the end of pregnancy. I'm also taking calcium supplements to protect my bones.
    Because I've been on steroids for a time which is considered 'long term' I will have to have a steroid booster during the labour as taking artificial steroids reduces the production of your natural steroid (apparently).
    Most people do go into remission (about 60%) but I really wouldn't count on it. I haven't gone into remission. I have had periods where I felt better (for a month or so at a time).

Feel free to ask any more questions and I'll let you know how I'm getting on.
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Hi Louise,

I had a baby 5 years after developing R.A. At that point I hadnt started on Methotrexate or Humira(so wasnt too bad) but was on sulfasalazine.She wasnt planned I dont think I would have chosen to have a baby at that point of my life-I was 40 and already had 4 children and 2 had been diagnosed autistic.My life was full.
    Anyway she is beautiful and so glad I had her.It just seems so much harder for people already started on MTX.
    Best wishes
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Louise,

I can't help cus I was unable to have kids but I really do wish you so much luck and there is always hope. Jen being proof (Hi Jen, not long now eh? x) There was a long pregnancy thread on the site, it might help to read if you can find it? I really hope so much you find a way. ((( ))) Cris x

Back to the pregnancy thread I often wonder what happened to Bluefish, Buffycat and all of you so... well maybe some of you still look in and I just leaving a hi to you all. x
  • cthornley
    cthornley Member Posts: 627
    Hi I know where you are coming from ....i was you, I now have a very active little boy about to turn 2 (wow) diagnosed in my late teens now 31

I'm not gonna lie to you it was hard, and there were points when i thought what the hell am I doing but it was worth it

in a bit of co-incidence I have just received a book today you might want to have a look at google suzie edward may and you'll find the lady who wrote its website. Its about pregnancy, getting pregnant etc with arthritis, I wish that i'd had something to read when i was going through pre pregnancy, pregnancy and with a newborn...just to reiterate you are not alone.

I was on steroids whilst trying to conceive, whilst pregnant and whilst breastfeeding. They helped, it still wasn't easy but hey what is once you've got RA :wink:

I have to go now but if you want to talk about anything please feel free to send me a private message

good luck (it is worth it, i promise)
    Christine
  • dutchess
    dutchess Member Posts: 79
    Hi Louise
    I totally understand where your coming from. I'm also in my late 20s and me and my husband are desperate for a family and with everyone else having babies and wondering when we're going to the pressure is everywhere. I tried coming off my meds last july (been on metho for 5 years) felt fantastic for first few months then massive flare 40mg of steroids couldn't control it so put back on meds and loads of rest off work :( However I don't just have ra (have mixed connective tissue disease= ra/sjogrens, cutaneous vasculitis) so a bit of a mixed bag to control. Anyway still have some hope as is agreed I'd have to leave work next time we try (not great r.e finances not sure how possible) and consultant is now trying me on hydrochlorine/plaqunil in addition to metho at present to review again in June with hope I'd have that drug and steroids to fall back on. It does seem such a long process and so unfair. There's loads of positive stories on here and I think if you anything like me, a fighter you'll get through this. Theres plenty of support on this forum, keep talking to your partner and who else you can confide in and your medical team. I'm trying to keep positive just know my body clock is shouting at me now :lol:
    Take care
    Luv Kelly
  • sarahw
    sarahw Member Posts: 10
    Hi all new to the forum, please dont worry about pregnancy and RA. I had my son 17 yrs ago without problems. I was on anti inflam. tabs (cannot remember which ones) pred 5mg, a small dose of aspirin (later on in the pregnancy.) I am now on MTX but wasnt then i believe you have to stop taking 6mths before trying for a baby. I was 30 when i had him and fell preg straight away i have had RA since i was 17 hope this helps

sarah
  • poppy30
    poppy30 Member Posts: 67
    Just wanted to wish you all the best! Over a year ago I decided to stop my meds (MTX and Humira) in order to start a family. If I'm being honest we weren't totally ready for children but felt like we had to hurry up and start trying as there was so much to consider such as stopping meds/potential fertility issues/family pressure(!)/etc. :lol: :?
    I was very fortunate as I was able to come off the meds completely and manage cold turkey.... (I say manage but really mean struggled!!! :x ) and I was pregnant 5 months later :shock: ! I was offered steroid treatment during pregnancy but never had to take them up on it. Whatever was in those pregnancy hormones really helped keep my PA managable!! :P
    I now have a gorgeous 5 month old son and am back on my meds. I can't offer any advise re meds during pregnancy but wanted to offer my support if you ever need it.

Good Luck!

Poppy x
  • gickygawky
    gickygawky Member Posts: 478
    Hi there!

I haven't been posting on the site much of late (apologies!) but thought I should add to this thread to help reiterate the fact that you are not alone :D

I have been on Enbrel and Mtx for AS over the past couple of years and after great deliberation Hubby and I want to get the ball rolling and start a family. After seeing my Rheumy recently I have stopped taking the Mtx as of 10 days ago. In three months time I go back and I will then try going off the Enbrel and onto steroids.

I am happy to be starting down this road but so worried at the same time. Before starting these drugs I was an absolute mess and although I will be taking steroids instead these haven't worked for me in the past. I can already feel myself 'getting old' since stopping the Mtx. :(

I am fortunate in that we had already made the decision for me to stop working in preparation for this 'adventure' last July so that I was in the best shape possible. Although it has been a bit tricky financially we are both glad to have made this choice. At the moment I feel human again and hubby and I have had the opportunity to enjoy the time we have together rather than working together to patch me up every evening after another hellish day trying to work.

It is interesting to read that there are people that may be able to help after the baby is born as this is also a huge concern - I just don't know how we are going to sort this all out when I can't even care for/feed myself etc. Hubby has been my carer when things are tough and my family is in Australia and can only offer moral support.

Anyway to round up I wish you all the best with lifes hurdles and all the exciting things you have to look forward to and I hope that there will be happy news from you all before too long! :D

Arna x
  • dutchess
    dutchess Member Posts: 79
    Just thought I'd add to the query about getting help after the baby is born. Your local social services department should have a disabled parents protocol which means adult social services will work with children social service to ensure that disabled parents are supported to fulfil their role as a parent. You'd have an initial assessment and would have to meet the FACS elibility criteria (more info at department of health website), you could then get things like home support or a direct payment/personal budget etc to enable you to get the appropriate support. Also try googling 'a jigsaw of services' which will give more info about the disabled parents protocol. Your gp or consultant may also be able to refer you to a health occupational therapist as they can also provide support/advice on how to manage with a baby/way of doing things to protect joints/equipment etc. I know the ot department at my local hospital has set up a parents group.
    Best wishes
    Kelly
  • jenzie06
    The Disabled Parents Network are the best people to get in contact with regarding the help after the baby is born. They can tell you the right 'phrase' to use with the council to get the right info plus they will fight your corner if becomes difficult.

www.disabledparentsnetwork.org.uk

The help I've organised is through the adult social care team, which is part of the social services department. However, trying to get the help can be difficult even if you ring the ' social care helpline' (not always that helpful - when I rang the first two times they didn't know what I was on about). Since asking for the help I've been assigned a social worker (they do not assess if you are a good parent or not and CANNOT take the baby away - that's child services) who is lovely and its taken a few weeks but everything is set to start after the baby is born. Plus I'm employing my mum to give me the help and if I'm struggling I can get a review no problem.

Its a cracking idea and really recommend it as I was really worried about coping after my hubbie went back to work and those worries have disappeared!
  • Sparkys6887
    Sparkys6887 Member Posts: 58
    Sorry if I'm repeating but my pain killers are kicking in and I'm starting to feel sleepy. My wife and I wanted. Hidden together and I've had agressive RA for twelve years.

My daughter was born in June 2008 when I was taking Nalroxen and steroids. I was advised to support my fertility with natural fertility, things like acupuncture to help clear my liver and increase sperm quality. I also saw a nutritionist and had hair analysis and took appropriate suplements as well as. Hanging my diet and eliminating alcohol and coffee. My wife did the same she also limited dairy products due to the hormones cows are given and only had organic when she did. After many attempts for a second baby we gave up last September and are now hoping to adopt :-)

I know I'm a man but i know women with arthritis who have conceived and had healthy babies. I would suggest natural fertility I'm sure it help me and my wide who was 42 when my daughter was born.

Good luck :-)