HR and line managment

Options
mellman01
mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
Well during my meeting two weeks ago the very first thing my boss came out with was the fact that I had used the works learning voucher for a glider flight that year which is true, my reply was that post op I couldn't do my old hobby of radio gliding so i decided to use it for that, 5 years before I used it for a PADI diving certificate.

Now on to my question, in our company documentation concerning capability prcedures that the procedure is designed to ensure positive steps will be taken to help an employee who is experiencing dificulties.

What I want to know is this, asking me this question in my eyes has a) has nothing to do with my work problems and b) there is no positive effect from bringing it up,in fact it is designed to do the very opposite, that is to intimidate and upset me the employee, so could this not be considered harrasment?, also if it does with the head of HR being present and doing nothing about the raising of this question, would they not be culpable under the law of vicarious liability?.

Comments

• dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi mellman.

Think you need to take a step back and first of all have a look at the company's guidelines on correct use of the 'learning voucher'. Does it limit how and on what you can use it? if not then your boss (the numpty) should be told that he is way out of line questioning you on 'proper use'....if the guidleines DO limit or define proper use then you need to consider whether you taking the glider flight comes under the definition?

I'm really not sure about your question about 'vicarious liability'? how do you think this applies?

Iris x
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    The learning voucher is open for all hobbies and is advertised as such, bringing it up had no other purpose than to upset me, there was no other reason, would they have asked an able bodied person how did they manage to do the same thing?.
    If my boss had been bothered to Google disabled gliding he would see that even people in wheel chairs can do it.

As for vicarious liability the head of HR also took part in the question, I am also covered by the DDA .
    Also the company rules on stage 1 meetings say they should be a positive means of helping an employee to sort out the problems they are haveing, and they shouldn't be stressful or degrading.
    What i am going to do is see what happens regarding ill health retirment and if it is a no then I will file a formal grievence against my line manager and the head of HR. I wont go without a struggle.
    Also I know there is a letter that is in my medical file that says there is no job for me where I am, so all of this is a faerce, that's why the head of HR wanted to go straight to stage two as soon as I had walked out the room.
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    thanks delboy and mellman for the explanation about 'vicarious liability'

Your employers are well out of line mellman...they think and act as though they are a law unto themselves.

I do hope you get the package you are looking for and that you don't get stressed out of your box fighting for what are you rights.

keep us posted. sending you some strength for the fight.

Iris x