new and improved...

chrisjacks
chrisjacks Member Posts: 4
edited 7. Apr 2010, 13:16 in Say Hello Archive
Well am now 11 days post op new hip and i must admit i feel really great. I was discharged on day 3, welll it would have been day 2 if i hadnt needed 2 units of blood and its soo nice to have no pain. My name is christine and im 50 this month. I developed arthritis as a complication of ulcerative colitis and in one year went from no pain to cant weightbear on my right hip. My GP and my rhumatologist were fantastic in refereing me for surgery and im sure apart from the nurses i was the youngest one there. Im a nurse myself and had just re-registered after years out of nursing when arthritis struck. Im amazed how well i feel. Even the district nurse was when she came to remove my staples on saturday.....

Please if anyone is thinking about a hip replacment DO IT, its soo worth it

Comments

• kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Christine

Welcome to the forum.
    Glad to hear you are doing well after the hip op.

I am about 14 weeks on from my THR and I have
    to agree that its so worth it to get rid of the awful
    pain.

Hope you continue to do well.
    Take a look at the chit chat zone and also Living with Arthur.

Hope to see you posting
    Love Kath
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    trisher wrote:
    Hi Cristine

A warm welcome from.

Well your story is fantastic and will no doubt be an inspirational story to those who are waiting to have this op done.

I hope to see you posting soon.

You take care, keep up the good work.

Love Trish xxx
  • chrisjacks
    Thank you. I found some very contradictary advice about when I am "allowed" to get in bath or shower (mine is a shower over a bath), some say 2 weeks some say 12 weeks but tbh i have had no problems and managed to sit on a bath seat, swing legs over then shower without problems, even the day i came home. I used tagaderm to cover the dressing. i didnt manage to get a good wash down at the hospital.

I was very impressed with the use of the epidural during the operation, i suppose being a nurse years ago am used to the medical world, but i wasnt realy nervous until i went in the anaesthetics room for the epidural. Apparently i talked all through the operation (even with sedation) A very positive experience.
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Hi Christine and a very warm welcome to the forum from me too. :D

it's great to read your account of having the THR by epidural...we had a thread on which types of anaesthetics were best , a few weeks ago!

glad you are making such a speedy recovery.....but remember too that you do need rest!

come over and join the chat on the other forums too...x

Iris x
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Hi Christine

Yes, the Epidural is a good way to have an op these days. It is friendly to your lungs and you therefore then to recover quicker.

You do not get that depressed feeling that some get either.

Iris

Yes I remember that Thread, interesting wasn't it?

Christine, I hope we see you around the Forums. You will be made welcome where ever you post.

The CChat is a more relaxed zone, there are always many topics going on.

Trish xxx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi Christine
    A very warm welcome to this really friendly forum, I have read your post with interest, has I will be having my THR sometime this year, I hope.
    It is good to read that you had an epidural, has I dont like the idea of having the anaesthetic, you have done really well, you keep it up, and I hope to see you posting more very soon.
    You take care
    Barbara xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • chrisjacks
    barbara12 wrote:
    Hi Christine
    A very warm welcome to this really friendly forum, I have read your post with interest, has I will be having my THR sometime this year, I hope.
    It is good to read that you had an epidural, has I dont like the idea of having the anaesthetic, you have done really well, you keep it up, and I hope to see you posting more very soon.
    You take care
    Barbara xx

Thanks Barbara. Its so worth doing by epidural. I head what was going on but didnt feel a thing and was in a little blury world of my own. I think the more pain you have before the operation the better your recovery is. I have to keep myslef in check and not do too much. I wish you well
    Christine xx