Steroid ijections into the joints

trisher
trisher Member Posts: 9,263
Hi

I wonder if you can help me. When you have steroid injections into the joints how long does it take to work??

They said that the pain should lessen. I woke in the night in a lot of pain, I took some meds for that.

When I woke up this morning the pain is worse than it was before I had it done. Am I expecting too much at the moment?

Can you tell me how long does it take to work. I can hardly bend them today. I have tried to bend them but they won't. They did say that they put a lot in them.

Thank You
Trisher

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Trisher
    Steroid injections into the joints can take a few days to be fully effective and occasionally people get an increase in joint pain within the first day which settles within a couple of days.
    You say they put a lot in your joints, if that means a lot of fluid, that could be the problem. Give it a bit more time.
    Best wishes
    Val
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    trisher feeling for you hope they start to work soon fingers r crossed for you ((()))
    val
  • trisher
    Hi Trisher
    Steroid injections into the joints can take a few days to be fully effective and occasionally people get an increase in joint pain within the first day which settles within a couple of days.
    You say they put a lot in your joints, if that means a lot of fluid, that could be the problem. Give it a bit more time.
    Best wishes
    Val

Hi Val

Thank you. Yes they said they put a lot of steroid in there.

Thank you for your reply.

Trisher xx
  • trisher
    valval wrote:
    trisher feeling for you hope they start to work soon fingers r crossed for you ((()))

Ah Bless you Pal I will let you know how it goes.

Trish xxxx
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    I hope so much it starts to work soon, petal.

Annie
  • andylambs
    andylambs Member Posts: 71
    Good luck Trisher. We've always been told if it's going to work we should start to see some positive effects between 24 and 48 hours.

If they put a lot of steroid in it will hurt a lot more to start with as they've just increased the amound of fluid present in the joint which will have the same pain as the inflammation itself.
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Trish

Do hope the extra pain is just a temporary blip and that it soon settles down and works for you.
    Sending you love, hugs (((( ))))) and humbugs as always.
    Chris xxx