Pins and needles and a cold feeling.

mellman01
mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
Hi look this may sound silly I had my double chondroplasty on both patella back in 2008 I was also diagnosed with significant OA of both kneecaps, well since then whenever I start to get a flare I get a feeling of cold down my shins and into my feet.
The last two flares however it has been much more significant, as I sit here it’s really noticeable, also I have a feeling like a band or tourniquet has been wrapped around my legs just below both kneecaps?.
Accompanying this is a feeling of pins and needles similar to the feeling you get if you have cut the blood flow off, it definitely linked to my knee op but I wonder why it would do this, is this kind of feeling common with OA, or am I going slightly daft?.

Comments

• speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi, I haven't had that my sensation myself but I do have altered sensations on my replaced side. I have read another post about something similiar awhile back ... unfortunately can't remember which one. It might be nerves that were damaged during the procedures coming back to life??? I would definitely get it checked out for peace of mind. Move about as much as you can to keep the blood flowing.

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Hi mellman, (you are not officially mad........... yet!!!)

I haven't had the same ops as you but have had the 'cold' and 'numb/ pins & needles sensations you describe in my fused hand. It's worse during a flare and seems to be linked with the associated swelling.
    so I asked my hand therapist and she advised it was pressure on the nerves in the hand and to mention it at ortho. He had a look at it and said the same (swelling causing pressure causing the sensations) and that it should pass.

But it is important for you to get it checked out mellman. You can't afford to make assumptions with this in case it's something needing attention. Best thing to phone orthopods and ask...

Iris x

ps. we WILL tell you when you have reached the madness marker....you still talking to Dave? :wink:
  • mellman01
    Hi speedalong and Iris, yeah think I might go to my GP's I have had this before but it's been a while since it was this strong, I guess it's some sort of flare driven thing, I am battling one right now.
    It's odd I get two sorts of flare, one with more pins and needles and one with more pain, does my head in!.

Oh Iris you posted this.
    ps. we WILL tell you when you have reached the madness marker....you still talking to Dave?

Have I done something wrong on here, and who's Dave??. :oops:
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    mellman01 wrote:
    Oh Iris you posted this.
    ps. we WILL tell you when you have reached the madness marker....you still talking to Dave?

Have I done something wrong on here, and who's Dave??. :oops:

No mellman..nothing wrong ...I thought you had mentioned an imaginary 'Dave' on one of the very funny CC rehab threads and was just trying to cheer you up by mentioning it. :wink:

so it's me that's lost the plot...not you. :!: :roll: :wink: :shock:

I AM a complete numpty. sorry for the confusion. :oops:

Iris x

I hope the flare settles soon mellman....definitely see the docs. xx
  • mellman01
    speedalong wrote:
    Hi, I haven't had that my sensation myself but I do have altered sensations on my replaced side. I have read another post about something similiar awhile back ... unfortunately can't remember which one. It might be nerves that were damaged during the procedures coming back to life??? I would definitely get it checked out for peace of mind. Move about as much as you can to keep the blood flowing.

Speedalong

Thanks speedalong it was probably one of my old posts, I started getting this problem after the OP but it went instead I got more pain then numbness looks like it's reverting right now, the last 2 flares have been a bit like this one, very odd, I will go and see my GP but I don't think he can do much, I do wonder thought if it could be linked to the Nortriptyline I take?, I have a lot of neck pain and it works well on that but I sometimes notice a similar sort of feeling there as well?, hmm will have to look into it1.
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,463
    Hi Mellman
    I don't think I can add anything to this on a Monday morning but just to say, yes do get this checked out with your GP.
    Best wishes
    Val