Not able to work?

abfab1963
abfab1963 Member Posts: 41
That....would scare me!!

I work as a Management Accountant....so my job is desk based. In other words, I sit on my **** all day playing with sums! :-)

My job is 95% computer based and SO far has not caused me any real issues. If I dont make a point of getting up and walking about the office every 30 mins or so, I will seize up. We dont have any stairs...thank God!!

My knuckles were one of the 1st places to have swelling and just in the last month the next joints up are now getting stiff and sore.

So...is there anything I should be doing, to help with this?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers!
xx

Comments

• dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi abfab,

I have problems with my fingers and hands too and have had a left wrist fusion and am waiting for a right total wrist replacement op in June...

I have 'Dragon Naturally Speaking' voice activated software on my pc which works wonderfully...but I'm not sure whether it would be compatible/ useable with your accountancy system?...might be worth you investigating though?.. you can read more on
    http://www.nuance.co.uk/naturallyspeaking

Other than that I find heat helps (some find cold is better) and I use a hot wax therapy hand unit twice a day...it is so soothing, loosens up the stiff joints and tendons and relieves the pain of arther for a time. It's not a cure just a way of alleviating symptoms that works for me. The wax unit + wax costs about £40.00 and for me was money well spent!

hope you can get some relief from the pain....what meds are you on just now?

Iris x
  • abfab1963
    Its seems ages since I was here, so thank you for your replies.

OT have given me wrist and hand splits to wear at night (SO sexy....NOT!) and are also ordering me hand splints for work. They think that using my computer is actually doing me good and helping to keep the joints supple but want me to wear the splints to keep the joints in the correct position and stop my fingers curling over at night!

I am sure your voice activated software makes such a difference to you, it is something I can look into in the future, so thanks for that.

Cheers folks
    x
  • abfab1963
    Thanks Del

Im not sure about the software for accounts packages....especially excel or spreadsheets!

I think I would have to learn the correct mathematical terms first....he he!!!

Cheers
    xx
  • mummyb
    mummyb Member Posts: 1,231
    Hi, I too have Dragon Naturally Speaking at work and its making such a difference to me. I'm still getting used to it (and it to me). I know what you mean about loud people nearby tho I keep getting random words in the middle of reports etc because my colleague gets louder the longer she's on the phone. It can be quite amusing at times too, one day while telling it my name it typed in "brain dead".. do you think someone somewhere's trying to tell me something???????? :lol::lol::lol:
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Ha Ha Brenda......very good :lol::lol::lol:

maybe you computer wants to take over the world and is already censoring you. :wink:

Iris x
  • mummyb
    mummyb Member Posts: 1,231
    dorcas wrote:
    Ha Ha Brenda......very good :lol::lol::lol:

maybe you computer wants to take over the world and is already censoring you. :wink:

Iris x

Maybe they're coming to take me away haha!!!!!!!! :lol::lol::lol: